Keystone Currents Recommendation

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Keystone Currents Recommendation

Post by Gvonada »

Hello All,

The freezing rain tonight has my dive buddy chickening out for tomorrow's dive. I'm trying to plan an alternate day for Keystone, and noticed that the PNWdiving.com rates December 27th as an excellent dive with a current of -2.5 to +0.6. It surprised me that the recommendation doesn't take into account the substantial ebb current before slack.

I have limited experience diving Keystone; I was wondering if anyone could recommend if the above current profile typically works? It sounds like the goal is to get in at slack, and dive only during the slack and flood current.

Thanks for your time,

Greg
60south
Pelagic

Re: Keystone Currents Recommendation

Post by 60south »

Hi Greg,

If I were planning it, I'd get in at 1500 on the 27th. Looks pretty good.

The 26th looks good too, splash 1400. But not the 28th (too late in the day).

Disclaimer: Eyeball the currents before getting in. Currents there can be squirrely at the best of times, and often vicious near the end of the jetty, even at slack. Slack can be literally 0 minutes long. If it's windy, all bets are off.

If you go, please let us know the situation with the logs on the shoreline!

glenn
tide.3129.png
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gvonada »

Thanks so much! I appreciate not making the 2-hour drive just to get knocked out of the water by current. If we go, I'll let you know how it went!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Greg

You should be fine, especially if you slowly approach the end of the jetty

Biggest concern would be to double check the wind and temp forecast. Currently the wind forecast does not look good 😥

Last I heard the driftwood jam all cleared out.

With a small flood like that you would likely be good for two nitrox dives back to back if it didn't get dark so early (just be a bit more cautious on the second). For a Night dive, permits are required and do note it gets very dark there.. you can't see lights on shore

If currents are running you can stay in closer and still have a great dive. There's usually warbonnets on the rock that attaches to the line (we call it the rock of life)

Have fun! I may head out there Monday next week if the wind is fine and it's not too cold. Feel free to try to connect with me if you wish!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!