Jellyfish Bloom

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
60south
Pelagic

Jellyfish Bloom

Post by 60south »

We did a dive this morning at Ft. Worden, and inside the calm Marine Science Dock area there were thousands, millions of small jellyfish in the top ~4ft. Everything from pea and thimble sized medusae up to big ctenophore walnuts with iridescent cilia, maybe some siphonophores or salps mixed in too. Lots of different species.

Is anybody else seeing this? It's the most magical thing I've seen in a long time.

I want to go back out and snorkel it with a camera but the weather gods are getting pissy so it will have to wait.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Jellyfish Bloom

Post by enchantmentdivi »

It does sound magical!
Jenn
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

If bioluminescence is active, go there at night for something truly magical. I ran into a huge school of small moon jellies once years ago at Three Tree on a night dive when it was active. Their margins and tentacles just lit up every time I waved my hands as they clearly had been eating the dinoflagellates. I wonder if video with the ISO cranked up could capture it, if you find something like that.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I've been seeing a lot of jellyfish in the water now since summer has started lots of little baby moon jellies and seeing baby egg yolks and baby Lion's manes of course every time this year seems like the jelly start growing out of nowhere
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen