South African in Seattle

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
ivanmjiran
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

South African in Seattle

Post by ivanmjiran »

Hey everyone!
My names Ivan, I just moved here from SA. I'm keen to start getting some dives in, been diving my whole life but never in water this cold to be honest. I'm situated in Denny's Triangle, looking for a dive shop, dive community, the works. Let me know if you have any advice or adventures planned.
Cheers
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: South African in Seattle

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Welcome! We have a lot of great dives in the area!

If equipped right, the cold here should not be an issue. Most of us dive year around!

Do you have Coldwater capable gear yet or do you need drysuit training?

What kind of diving do you like to do? Deep, photography, critter dives, bottle dives etc?

There are folks in this board who host weekly evening dives (wed gue and Thursday mostly photographers), and there's also marker buoy dive club. That might be a great way to meet people to start, and often weekend dives further afield are planned then.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ivanmjiran
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ivanmjiran »

Hey Eric, really appreciate the reply!

I still need dry-suit training. I've reached out to a couple of dive shops but they both told me they're closed at the moment. Any recs?
I love deep diving and checking out the sea life, not really a photography guy, night dives are nice as well.
I've connected with the marker buoy dive club.

Cheers
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
As for dry suits, I'd do a run by 3-5 dive shops to get a sense of the type of suits out there, pricing and what might be in inventory. Off the shelf is easiest/fastest but do make sure it's a good fit. If considering ordering custom, do ask about the delivery time as many months wait time has not been unheard of.

Front zip is nice, pockets are nice, built in boots are nice, suspenders are nice. I've had mixed results with user replaceable neck seals. Built in drygloves readiness option can be good.

Venture heat heaters are nice to go with. And you can't go wrong with a weezle extreme+ undergarment.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Boarderguy »

Welcome to some of the best diving in the world. PNW offers some of the best opportunities if you're willing to conquer the cold. For drysuits I'd recommended getting a Seaskin. They're all custom, made to measure, so there isn't an issue with poor fitting or baggy suits. They cost about $1200 if you get every upgrade AND colors are whatever you want them to be including the stitching. They're made in the UK and have about a 12 week delivery time from when you order.
- Jacob -