High Water Temperatures

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
60south
Pelagic

High Water Temperatures

Post by 60south »

Yesterday we did a couple dives off of Bainbridge, at Fay Bainbridge Park. This is basically just across the straits from Ballard.

The water temperatures were warmer than I've ever seen them in Puget Sound, 57F. Anybody else seeing record temperatures?

glenn
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Re: High Water Temperatures

Post by coldfinger »

Yup. My DC read 57-59F on a night dive at Three Tree on 8/22. I think my buddies only saw up to 57 on theirs, so there could be a degree or two of instrument variance, but still hot. Welcome to the new normal - "Where your fish come out of the water already cooked!"
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Was that water column stratified or mixed? How deep were you seeing those temperatures? I'm guessing the thermocline is intact, but perhaps the boundary depth shifted

The water was 11°C / 52°F at Keystone at nearly all depths on Sep 3, which was evidently survivable in a 5mm wetsuit 😅
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

eh.haole wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:44 pm Was that water column stratified or mixed?
Mixed? We never hit a thermocline. Deepest part of the dive was 56F at 72ft.
eh.haole wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:44 pm The water was 11°C / 52°F at Keystone at nearly all depths on Sep 3, which was evidently survivable in a 5mm wetsuit 😅
Nope, nope, I don't believe it. Can't be survivable in a 5mm for any length of time. Water is lava.
:smt064