Point Hudson Closed

General banter about diving and why we love it.
60south
Pelagic

Point Hudson Closed

Post by 60south »

All,

FYI the contractor for replacing the south jetty at Point Hudson is moving the barge in today. The jetty is now closed to diving, probably until sometime next spring.

Here we go. Thanks to everyone who helped move critters, we relocated 4000!
ktuli
Avid Diver

Re: Point Hudson Closed

Post by ktuli »

4000 kudus to you and everyone who helped then!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

So amazing that 4,000 were saved.🏆🥳 I had fun being the sea star Express.

Excited to see how it looks when it reopens. The WSA and volunteers did an amazing job 🌊🤿🐟🐙🤗🖖💙
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

What's new @ Point Hudson this season?
Is it open for diving yet?
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

eh.haole wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:40 pm What's new @ Point Hudson this season?
Is it open for diving yet?
All open, construction is done. I think they're just now putting the finishing touches on the walkway over the breakwater.

Aside from the new breakwater itself, which is going to be awesome habitat when it's had a chance to flourish, there's the new adjacent 'rock reef' -- pretty much what is sounds like, a gigaton of rock dumped between the breakwater and the dolphin, starting at about 35ft and going down to 65ft, more or less. A lot of the area is still mostly bare, but we have been seeing GPOs aplenty.

The reef originally was somewhat separate from the breakwater. That was the plan. But kind of at the last minute they put some more rock down to stabilize things, and it mostly filled-in the gap between the two. Navigation is now a bit puzzling (for me, at least).

There's currently an ongoing project to monitor and encourage kelp growth; look for the rocks with tags. Please don't disturb them. Even without that, we've already seen some remarkable new growth of something, probably Laminaria (species?).

Here's a video survey I did for the port. Not exciting, but it shows the lay of the land next to the breakwater.

glenn
Last edited by 60south on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Amazing work all around. Build it, and they will come! The sea life, that is 🙏🏼