T-Handle for BlackTip DPV?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
60south
Pelagic

T-Handle for BlackTip DPV?

Post by 60south »

I've been looking at options for modifying my BlackTip DPV to include a T-handle, instead of the normal right-handed handle that comes stock. DiveX doesn't off a kit for this (why not??) but there are people who offer them after-market, as well as 3D printable parts.

Have you put a T-handle on a BlackTip? If so, how'd it go? Advice?

glenn
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Re: T-Handle for BlackTip DPV?

Post by Boarderguy »

No experience with the T-handle but you can modify the firmware. This can give you cruise control and a few other options to make piloting it easier. CC would allow you to just switch hands and not need to hold the thumb trigger.

Firmware:
https://github.com/bwoodill/BT_VESC
- Jacob -
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Boarderguy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:30 am No experience with the T-handle but you can modify the firmware. This can give you cruise control and a few other options to make piloting it easier. CC would allow you to just switch hands and not need to hold the thumb trigger.

Firmware:
Interesting. I would change the default speed (make it 2 instead of 3), and generally lower the speeds at all levels (giving a greater selection of low speeds), but none of that is critical. I just need a left-hand grip.
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Boarderguy »

60south wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:26 am
Boarderguy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:30 am No experience with the T-handle but you can modify the firmware. This can give you cruise control and a few other options to make piloting it easier. CC would allow you to just switch hands and not need to hold the thumb trigger.

Firmware:
Interesting. I would change the default speed (make it 2 instead of 3), and generally lower the speeds at all levels (giving a greater selection of low speeds), but none of that is critical. I just need a left-hand grip.
I'll look on the other unnamed board and see what I can see.
- Jacob -
ktuli
Avid Diver

Post by ktuli »

I know a local person (on Bainbridge Island) who has 3D printed T handles for the Blacktips and I've used them both single and T grip and definitely will say I prefer having the option with the T grip. If I remember correctly, it is a non-destructive modification so if you end up not liking it, you can always switch it back. The one thing is that getting the actual grips (the rubberized part) to stay on was a minor challenge, but he may have come up with better solutions since I last talked to him.

I'll try to get ahold of him (friend of a friend, so I'll have to play a little bit of relay) and see if he is still making them. Let me know if you are interested in pursuing further and I'll try to get you connected up.

Will
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

ktuli wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:57 am I'll try to get ahold of him (friend of a friend, so I'll have to play a little bit of relay) and see if he is still making them. Let me know if you are interested in pursuing further and I'll try to get you connected up.

Will
Yes please!

If it's the same 3D design as at Thingiverse or a custom 3D printable design that he can send me, I can have the local library print it up. But it sounds like it might be better than that.

glenn
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The best place to find information regarding Dive X scooter retrofits is the Dive Xtras X-Scooter Group on facebook.
Boarderguy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 am
60south wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:26 am

Firmware:
I'll look on the other unnamed board and see what I can see.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Boarderguy »

Nwbrewer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:05 am The best place to find information regarding Dive X scooter retrofits is the Dive Xtras X-Scooter Group on facebook.
Thanks. I hadn't thought to look to bookface for that.
- Jacob -
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

With the programable settings I took my 8 speeds and configured down to 5, starting on level 2. Additionally removed the safety start delay. There are some easy quality of life modes you can alter.

my 2 psi
I have read where the software cruise control has created issues, so if you really need cruise control there are some bungee options out there which being more analog are easier deal with. I have been on long runs with mine, and really never found a need for it, but again, just my 2 psi
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

There is a reason why scooters have a Deadman switch. If you've ever had an unintentional start you know it's not fun. I made a hard turn and a piece of floating line I could not see until I was on top of it got trapped on the trigger, smashing my fingers downso I could not let go. The line was tied to the bottom, so I basically circled until i could free myself....

I'm a firm believer in no cruise control, and lock the trigger when not actively using the scooter.

Norris wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:46 am With the programable settings I took my 8 speeds and configured down to 5, starting on level 2. Additionally removed the safety start delay. There are some easy quality of life modes you can alter.

my 2 psi
I have read where the software cruise control has created issues, so if you really need cruise control there are some bungee options out there which being more analog are easier deal with. I have been on long runs with mine, and really never found a need for it, but again, just my 2 psi
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman