10/28 Phillip's lake dive report

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

10/28 Phillip's lake dive report

Post by Nwbrewer »

In an effort to do something new, oystercovematt (ocm, because my kid picked screen name that's long) and I went to Phillips lake last weekend in search of reported spring hole that feeds the lake. We had a general direction from an old local who purported to have seen it from a drone. We also pre scouted the lake with the cheap side scan and picked a likely point to start from.

We loaded the gear in the trusty rubber raft and motored out to the planned drop point where we dropped anchor and geared up and bailed o er the side with textbook backrolls. This was a dead boat operation but in a small 0 current lake with scooters I wasn't overly concerned.

Dropping down the line via was not what we hopped for, bit passable. 2feet from the anchor was an old boat motor, with a fishing pole basicllybon top of it. We didn't touch it at that point, since anything you touch on the bottom rapidly becomes 6' cloud of silt. OK signals and we scootered off in search of the mystery spring hole. We didn't have a rigid search plane, so we went west a few minutes, and as we reached the shoreline and things started swallowing up,we found a second boat motor, this one I think was an old Merc.

Back to the anchor and a little more searching realed no mysterious spring hole. Back at the anchor I grabbed the fishing pole and tossed it in the boat. Ocm climbed back in the boat, and passed me a line, keeping good tension on it for me as I dropped back down for the motor. I quickly secured the line to the handle, and went back to the surface to re-board the boat myself. I did managed to free it from the mud and drag it aboard with doing any permanent damage to my spine.

We now have a good story and some yard art that I dropped off on my neighbors flower planter boat.

Making plans to go back for the merc if anyone is in need of some yard art!
20231028_122620.jpg
20231028_103249~3.jpg
FB_IMG_1699233694213.jpg
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: 10/28 Phillip's lake dive report

Post by Norris »

YAY! Adventures with your son, outstanding.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: 10/28 Phillip's lake dive report

Post by Gdog »

Heck yeah! Good on you guys!