San Juan/Orcas Diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

San Juan/Orcas Diving

Post by TBRenegade »

Some friends and I are planning a long weekend on Orcas during the MLK weekend in January, hoping to bring our gear and get a dive or two in while we're out there. The group is average(?) experience, most are AOW with 30-40 cold water dives.

From what I'm reading online, San Juan Island seems to be the more easily accessible location for shore diving. We are interested in possibly Lime Kiln or Eagle Cove, current depending.

Any general advice/suggestions from someone who has dove there semi-recently? I saw there was a thread from 2015 I didn't want to bump, but that appears to be one piece of scant information on the web.

If anyone wants to join it'll most likely be 1/13! Cheers, thanks!
Jonny Quest
Getting To Know Folks

Re: San Juan/Orcas Diving

Post by Jonny Quest »

Do your research on Lime Kiln and make sure you study the currents. That site can mess you up if you get caught on the wrong end of things, especially without a boat. The vis is usually pretty good at Eagle Cove- nice peaceful shallow dive, highly recommend.

Other places to consider:
-Smallpox Bay (San Juan Island): another shallow and protected site, until you wrap around either side of the bay
-Rueben Tarte (San Juan Island): I usually dive this site every time I shore dive on San Juan Island- current sensitive
-Deadman Bay (San Juan Island): If the conditions are right I always try and dive here. Currents line up with Lime Kiln, they're right next to each
other. Easier entry than Lime Kiln
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQaRPliWjY
-Cascade Lake (Orcas Island): not a lot of places to dive on Orcas unless you have a boat or access to private property. I got creative one day and
decided to dive the lake- something different. I dive on the west side.
Here's an idea of what it looks like: https://youtu.be/eVK1k7CmzGQ?si=XmTxJoflkPajCXsg
-Doe Bay (Orcas Island): easy access, not my favorite but worth checking out for the sake of exploration. There's a small "wall" with some critters on
it.
-Rosario Point (Orcas Island): my favorite place to dive on Orcas. Not sure if the trail I use is technically accessible to the public, but I haven't had
any problems so far :)

I've been to all these places a few times (from shore) so let me know if you want any more detail. As you probably already know, currents can rip out there so plan accordingly. I use Fischnaller's Northwest Shore Dives as guide, haven't had any problems yet.

Have fun!
Check out ilovenudis.com
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I love the San juans, I was lucky to get out in a boat there on Thursday!

Shore diving is tough out there! My favorite San Juan shore dive is skyline. No ferry needed and this site can be just as good as many of the boat dives out there. 😀

Orcas is a challenge to get a good dive in. You're right, sji is better. Good info was provided above. I'd add that Eagle cove is a slog both down the hill and the swim out to the reef. And it's not just shallow, you can get deep out there if you really wanted too once you're out in the dive site.

Enjoy your trip!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Am I the only one who came here thinking that the OP was planning to try and dive with Orcas off San Juan Island?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

Nwbrewer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am Am I the only one who came here thinking that the OP was planning to try and dive with Orcas off San Juan Island?
Nope - that's what caught my eye, too!
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

Post by TBRenegade »

Don't worry everyone, we decided to leave the chum on shore so as to avoid the whales ;)

Looking at tide/current predictions for 1/13 there appears to be a pretty forgiving slack with <2ft of exchange taking place midday. Talking with my dive crew the plan is as follows:

Good surface conditions, two tank dive at Lime Kiln/Deadman Bay.

Less good surface conditions: Shallow dive at Obstruction Rock, as it appears to be less current/condition dependent compared to more exposed parts of the islands. And to throw it out there, if surface/wind is bad we would absolutely call the dive.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I've done a handful of dives at more current afflicted spots and want to make sure that decisions and conditions are solid before heading out.
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

Post by TBRenegade »

Side note, but several NOAA maps I'm looking at list SJI as having "localized magnetic disturbances" showing that Magnetic North is a bit off from normal. What's the deal with that? Don't panic when my compass feels a little off and take bearings as normal?