slimey gear?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

slimey gear?

Post by kwbyron »

I have noticed that if I try to soak my gear overnight in my dive closet, aka the second bathroom, anything submerged gets a film on it...I can scrub it off with fresh water, but it's wierd....I've stoped soaking it for more then an hour or so, but I was wondering if anyone else's stuff gets this? If I don't scrub it all, and the gear drys, there is no trace untill it gets wet again.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've only had that happen with stuff that's left significantly longer. It's algae growth, and you don't want it. Do you leave the same soaking water in your second bathroom, or do you drain it after each soaking episode?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

It's new water everytime, there is probably some sand still there, but I drain and don't refill untill next time I rinse my gear.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

wow i didn't know that the gear gets that way...the only thing that i really soak over night are my regulators and i havn't seen them get like that at all....??? wierd
When you think you know everything is actually when you know nothing...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I don't soak or rinse anything for longer than about 15 minutes, mostly out of laziness. I hang all the bigger gear up and hose it off so the water actually runs off of it, rather than having it in sitting water. The regs, camera and smaller stuff get a dunk in a big bin of water before being hung up.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

kwbyron wrote:It's new water everytime, there is probably some sand still there, but I drain and don't refill untill next time I rinse my gear.
Give the tub a thorough scrubbing, see if that works. I'm assuming your "dive closet" tub isn't used for personal hygiene, so you've probably neglected it and crud has built up on it. I built a rack out of pvc to use in my tub/shower for my gear. That way I can hang it and rinse it with the shower. Even then, I still need to clean the tub afterwards.
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I'll go with the guy about 15 minutes.. I've never really soaked wetsuits in the past (not for diving) usually I've just taken a shower with them, a longer than normal shower rubbing them and running them under the fresh water. Then hang out to dry. Never had a problem with corossion or nothing.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I had the same problem. I always soaked my gear for awile. But I use wetsuit cleaner now whith my water and the slime is now gone plus it smells new evrytime!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Try using a wetsuit cleaner - it's an enzyme that helps 'eat' away the boogers and slime - you get a very small packet, add to your soak water, and let it sit for awhile.

Really works well and is available at most dive shops.

Another thing we used to use on a regular basis was Simple Green - put a bit of it into the bathtub and soak your gear.

Cameras and such should not be soaked in the same solution, but rather warm-hot water - and do deserve more than a quick dunk. Salt can crytallize under the delicate buttons and controls and need thoroughly rinsing away. Soak, then swish, then hang up to dry, drying the lenses with a soft towel.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I too have the slime if I leave my stuff soaking over night... I knew exactly what you were talking about when I read the thread subject.

Mine comes from not cleaning the tub where I soak my gear regularly enough... and from accidently leaving gear to soak for 2-3 days sometimes (hey, I get ALL the salt off!!!) #-o when I forget to go into my work room to hang it up.

If you clean the tub you're soaking it in, and soak stuff in a wee bit (emphasis on WEE BIT) of Simple Green mixed with your tub of water, that should help. The wetsuit cleaner is great too.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!