Local dry suit repairs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
TCWestby
Submariner

Local dry suit repairs

Post by TCWestby »

I just bought a used dry suit, its in great shape but the boots are snug and I'd like to get them changed for the next larger size. They fit barefoot but I want to wear socks.

Can anyone reccomend a local outfit that can do that kind of work? I am also contacting the manufacturer but don't want to ship it to California.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Congrats on the drysuit! What brand is it? Can you send it back to them?
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Thanks, it is a Diving Concepts and I can send it to them, I'm waiting for a reply, but they are in California. I'm just wondering if it would be more convenient to get it done locally.

It would make it easier to get on and off with proper sized boots.
Looking for dive buddies

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That's a tough one ... KME (in Auburn) used to be good, but I stopped going to them when my "return" rate got up over 50%.

Several local shops are good for routine repairs or seal replacements, but I don't know any that do boot replacements.

Diving Concepts generally doesn't want to deal directly with the public, preferring to make you go through a dive shop that sells their product ... and I've found their customer service to be lacking in any case.

DC makes a really nice suit ... and I may purchase another one someday ... but if it were me, I'd consider contacting Superior Diving Repair and shipping the suit to an outfit with a great track record for good work.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Probably your best bet is Superior in Minnesota, good prices, quick turnaround (from what I've heard).
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote: Diving Concepts generally doesn't want to deal directly with the public, preferring to make you go through a dive shop that sells their product ... and I've found their customer service to be lacking in any case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I've heard that too. :toimonster:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Superior is your best bet unless you want to go thru NWSD in Kenmore, they are a DC dealer. NWSD is a great dive shop but DC has slow turnaround time they took about 8 weeks for me to get new boots and a new neck seal installed. If you decide to sent it to Superior ask them what their turnaround time is and add 2 weeks just in case. Good Luck and welcome to the dry side.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I had neoprene boots put on my tri-lam here in the middle of oregon, did it in a week for $100
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I'm not against going through a shop, hey they need to make money too. I'm just pinched right now for cash and want to use the new suit.

Another option I've heard is to pit on neoprene rock boot socks then wear rock boots over those. Does anyone have this configuration? What do you folks think?

I was thinking that then I could wear the same boots as for my wet suit and use the same size fins. This would also allow me to turn the suit inside out when I wash it to dry thoroughly.

The only drawback I dee is I'd need to get ankle weights to keep from going feet up.

Thoughts oh wise and experienced gurus?
Looking for dive buddies

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Superior will cost you about $180 for a boot swap, DC is going to be the same. Turnaround will probably be quicker with DC.

You could have neoprene socks put on, I bet it would cost about the same in terms of cash. Some people are using wetsuit booties over neoprene socks, I think that comes down to personal preference. I like the integrated boots, as long as they are the right size.

As for ankle weights, you shouldn't need them.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Todd, make sure that you do your virgin drysuit dive with a veteran drysuit diver, preferably an instructor. "Drysuit Orientation" is what they call it. If you bought your suit from a shop, it should be free. If you didn't, it's $60 or so.

Diving dry is VERY different than wet! :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

TCWestby wrote:I'm not against going through a shop, hey they need to make money too. I'm just pinched right now for cash and want to use the new suit.

Another option I've heard is to pit on neoprene rock boot socks then wear rock boots over those. Does anyone have this configuration? What do you folks think?

I was thinking that then I could wear the same boots as for my wet suit and use the same size fins. This would also allow me to turn the suit inside out when I wash it to dry thoroughly.

The only drawback I dee is I'd need to get ankle weights to keep from going feet up.

Thoughts oh wise and experienced gurus?
I use rock boots on both my suits.

Yes, you can use wetsuit boots with neoprene socks on a drysuit ... however, you will discover that you'll need a larger set of boots than the ones you currently use ... neoprene socks are bulky and you'll still have to wear some insulating layer underneath them ... so figure on a second set of wetsuit booties (or rock boots) that are at least 2 or 3 sizes larger than the ones you wear with your wetsuit.

Personally, I'd stick with the integrated boots ... it's one of the things I liked about the DC suit.

You might want to contact UWS, Seattle and see if this is something they can do for you. They do routine drysuit repairs ... I'm just not sure if they do boot replacements.

Or you could take it to KME ... Jim made a living for many years building and repairing drysuits. The major problem with his shop right now is that the lady who used to do such a nice job with everything left ... and the people he's got working for him aren't all that experienced. Therefore they tend to mess things up ... sometimes more than once. It may end up costing you more time and money than if you sent it off to Superior, or back to DC through a dealer (NWSD, apparently ... I wasn't aware that they were dealing with DC again).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I'm planning on doing the orientation but I had to bail on Monday's class since the boots shrunk...

I have a pair of 3mm socks from my kayaking days and with them on my wetsuit boots fit a little better now.
Looking for dive buddies

TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Smokey Point Diving works with a pretty good outfit so I'm doing socks through them nice since I bought it there. Once back I'll re-schedule the orientation.

Thanks to everyons for all the advice.
Looking for dive buddies

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Superior does great work but can take a long time. "Rush" service is $50 extra. I'd call UWS in Seattle to see if they have boots. I'm pretty sure they will glue them on, its more a question if they have any.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

TCWestby wrote:Smokey Point Diving works with a pretty good outfit so I'm doing socks through them nice since I bought it there. Once back I'll re-schedule the orientation.

Thanks to everyons for all the advice.
Smokey Point Diving is TOTALLY worth going to - my drysuit's boots were way too tight and I almost sold it because I was told that the boots couldn't be changed out without making the suit look terrible....totally wrong! They sent it out to some Mares place I believe and they changed the boots out for the next larger size - when it came back the suit looked great with bigger boots - all for $65!!
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

I would (will) avoid sending my Diving Concepts suit to them for repairs again. To say I had a bad experience is to put it mildly- I've been trying to decide whether to write a review or not, and I guess I just decided to do so :)

I'll post something in a more appropriate thread.
-- Celeus
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

rjarnold wrote:
Smokey Point Diving is TOTALLY worth going to -
I completely disagree. I have had nothing but bad experiences at Smokey Point. The staff brainless, their service is awful, the store has so little stock is laughable, their airfills take forever, I could go on and on.

I get nothing but air fills there and they ALWAYS short fill me!!! :angryfire:

Let me tell you how I REALLY feel! :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Seth T. wrote: , I could go on and on.

If you're that unhappy, why do you go back? And, do you ever check the tank before taking it away? It shouldn't be a problem to do so.

-Valerie
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T. wrote:
rjarnold wrote:
I completely disagree. I have had nothing but bad experiences at Smokey Point. The staff brainless, their service is awful, the store has so little stock is laughable, their airfills take forever, I could go on and on.

Wow ... my impressions are just the opposite.

I haven't stopped in there all that much (living in Federal Way and all) ... but the few times I've been there I got courteous, prompt service and reasonable information. The staff seemed pretty knowledgeable to me. Inventory is always an issue with smaller shops ... but I didn't think theirs was unreasonable.

I also think they have one of the better instructors in the area on their staff (Sandra Herrera) ... I've shared the coves with her classes from time to time and watched her teach (both under and above water) ... I was actually pretty impressed with how thorough she was and how well her students were doing by the end of the class. I'd send her referrals anytime ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seth T. wrote:
rjarnold wrote:

I'd be more than happy to tell Tim, Steve or Aaron about your concerns. Tim would either try to make it right, or tell you to pound sand. Either way, you'd get better service if you addressed your concerns with him instead of remaining silent and complaining on an open forum. Or worst case, you'd be looking for another shop to go to. Tim and Steve both have Military, commercial and recreational diving experience so I wouldn't exactly call them brainless when it comes to diving. I like the settee area they have set up with big screen, and plenty of magazines to read while waiting for those long slow short fills. Or you could go over to Cycle Barn to drool over the toys there. Either way Tim or Steve would probably be willing to work with their customers as long it is within their ability to do so.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I don't go to Smokey Point Diving much either since they're so far north, but my few experiences have been good.

I don't think I've ever waited so long for air fills than I did in Australia :P 30-40 minutes to fill 2800 psi in something similar to an Aluminum (Ally) 80, heh. "Nitrox? What's that? That fancy air stuff for them deep dives?" ;)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Pez7378 wrote: I'd be more than happy to tell Tim, Steve or Aaron about your concerns.
I don't need a tattle-tale, thanks. [-X This is a public forum and I'm sharing my experience with the shop. I have spoken many times to the brothers and their dad. Nothing has changed. I will continue to get air fills there, but that is all.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nope. Not telling. Just offering a helping hand. Sounds like you've tried everything. That being said, I guess your only solution to short fills would be to buy bigger tanks!! :supz:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Am I off base, or is the solution to short fills to gauge the tanks before leaving the shop, and if you aren't happy with what's in them, ask to have them topped off?

We gauge all our tanks before we take them home. Of course, we're diving Nitrox, so we have to analyze them anyway, but it takes very little time.

In my experience, KME, DC and Superior all have about the same turnaround time, which is way too long if you care about going diving. I have my gripes about quality of work from both repair shops, but although I am NOT a DC fan as a result of my dry suit purchase issues, they did a lovely job on the repairs they did for me, and they were no slower than the other two.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames