Sea Star Scuba

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Craig Baumann

Sea Star Scuba

Post by Craig Baumann »

I'm Craig. I am a PADI Instrctor and TDI Technical Diver. I'm a cold water diver, almost exclusively. I learned to dive in the Pacific Northwest and recently began technical diving here also.

Sea Star Scuba is my diving instruction and production company, based out of Portland, Oregon. I work with some of the most amazing people in the entire diving world, and I'm blessed to have such a diverse group of diving friends, recreational, technical and free.

I am actively involved in ScubaBoard, DeeperBlue, RebreatherWorld and the CORAL dive forums.

Best and safe diving for everyone!

Craig
Last edited by Craig Baumann on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board Craig! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Craig Baumann

Chimeara

Post by Craig Baumann »

Chimaear, or Ratfish, are the centennials of the sea. They are guardians. They are related to sharks. Recently on a very deep dive I saw one that was giving "birth" to a mermaid’s purse. It's very unusual to see this.

My favorite night dive of all time was under the Union Oil Pier in Edmonds, Washington. Hundreds of ratfish surround us by the very end of the pier, where the water was about 60 foot in deep. Our night-lights confused them and constantly they bumped into us.

While it is true they have a poisonous spine on their dorsal fin, the do not use it unless provoked.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Best to you.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Craig!

You'll find this a great place to be... lots of great folks... lots of crazy humor... lots of good advice and no shortage of opinions.

Most of the time the conversation is civil & cordial and the flame wars that characterize some other boards are kept to a minimum.

Everyone here loves to dive. Period.

Great mix of excited newbs and very experienced divers, always ready to share and dive.

Enjoy, and welcome to the neighborhood!!

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Chimeara

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hi, and welcome to our site!

I'm curious about this thing you wrote:

Craig Baumann wrote:Chimaear, or Ratfish, are the centennials of the sea. They are guardians. They are related to sharks. Recently on a very deep dive I saw one that was giving "birth" to a mermaid’s purse. It's very unusual to see this.

A "mermaid's purse" is the egg case of a Skate, no? That's what I've always called them, anyway.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nailer99 wrote:Hi, and welcome to our site!

Yeah, I have no idea where that came from. :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Hi, and welcome to our site!

Yeah, I have no idea where that came from. :axe:
Perhaps your ratfish hating tagline?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Seth T. wrote: Yeah, I have no idea where that came from. :axe:
He he he. You're kidding, right? :smt064
You punctuate every post with a rat fish smear campaign. he he he

I've been wanting to ask why you have something against rat fish. That's like saying you don't like dolphins. What's up with the hate, man? :rr:

-Ben
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I think Seth is recovering from an old injury and the associated pain... :-({|=

Come on man, let it go... (cue sappy music)

Ratfish Rock! :supz:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Tom Nic wrote:I think Seth is recovering from an old injury and the associated pain...
They like to get you in a compromising position
They like to get you there and smile in your face
They think they're so cute when they got you in that condition
Well I think it's a total disgrace

CHORUS:
I fight Chimaera, Chimaera always wins
I been doing it since I was a young kid
I come out grinnin'

So I call up my preacher
I say, "Give me strength for Dive #5."
He said , "You don't need no strength, you need to grow up son."
I said, "Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying
"And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

[CHORUS]

Oh no oh no
I fight a ratfish ratfish always wins
I fight a ratfish, ratfish always wins...
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Tom Nic wrote:I think Seth is recovering from an old injury and the associated pain... :-({|=

I did actually get the crap stung out of me years ago when I was a young diver. Never liked ratfish since then. Fricking ratfish :angryfire:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Personally I like watching them but didn't know they are poisionus. I'll be sure to be aware of that in the future.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Seth T. wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:I think Seth is recovering from an old injury and the associated pain... :-({|=

I did actually get the crap stung out of me years ago when I was a young diver. Never liked ratfish since then. Fricking ratfish :angryfire:
LOL!! I tell stories about divers who touch Ratfish in my classes! It's a great example of why NOT to touch anything you don't really know about - good thing it wasn't a cone shell. (oooh, look at the pretty shell! ZAP! AIEEEE!)

I've heard several stories of either unaware or 'bold' divers attempting to 'pet' the ratfish or grab its tail. NOT a wise move, since the spine on their dorsal fin is toxic and being made of cartilage and not bone, Ratfish are very bendy. The spine is their defensive mechanism - I'm a little surprised that it makes you angry - they're doing what they're supposed to be doing. If someone or something tries to touch them - they do what they're made to do. Inject that toxic spine into the predator.

Great lesson to everyone!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

nwscubamom wrote:
Great lesson to everyone!

- Janna :)
Totally! Hands off! [-X

He got me through my glove, right in the side of my ring finger. Ouch! It swelled up almost instantly and I became quite dizzy. Not fun. This was at Edmonds Oil Dock by the way.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.