Lake WA wrecks access

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

The problem is that we don't know who is doing the damage. If it's the charters, we as a dive community can fix by speaking with our $$$. If it's the fisherman, we're probably screwed because that is far more scattered than our little dive group. If it's individual divers/personal boats, then that opens up a whole bag of worms on how to police sites without coming off as political. No matter the cause, the simple fact of life is that damage will occur somehow, and we have to do our best at limiting that damage due to our diving these sites. Make sure people know the value of these wrecks and spread the word that "hands-off" isn't just a recommendation, it's required.

Honestly I think running lines to some of these wrecks is a great idea -- it takes a pretty monumental screwup to damage a wreck when you're scootering to it from 2-3k feet away :)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Like I said.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Here's something that hasn't yet been addressed: running lines from shore will act as a magnet for divers unqualified for these dives to try following them out to the wrecks. I'm already aware of at least one guy (Huh! I'm Advanced Open Water!) that is talking about finding a line and "going out to see the planes".

If you MUST lay your lines, start them away from shore at a location YOU can find but few others can.

For years, diving these wrecks has been limited to those that put in the time to locate them from the historical record or were taken there by those that had. By laying lines to them from shore you are opening them up to any clown that "thinks" he can do it. You think there's damage NOW, just wait until the idiot-brigade starts finding your lines!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:...By laying lines to them from shore you are opening them up to any clown that "thinks" he can do it. You think there's damage NOW, just wait until the idiot-brigade starts finding your lines!

- John
Not to mention the human damage (ie, loss of life) from someone who "think" he can do it... ](*,)

-Valerie
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Very interesting and sad post. I never could understand why it was always so hard to find where little known dive sites were from other divers in the past. I now know why. Since I try to do at least one exploratory dive each time I take the zodiac out I am a little more likely to keep them to myself. Watching dive sites deteriorate because of jerks is one reason.
Charles
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:It's hopeless- we can yammer about it on the 'net until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, the best thing we can do is to try and create a culture within our dive "Community" (and I use that term loosely- more like a family- well, more like my family, and most of the ones I know- lotsa feuds, power struggles, slander, politics, backstabbing....what's your family like?) anyway, where was I?

Oh, yeah- ....create a culture within our dive "community" wherein touching, damaging, or salvaging from the wrecks is verboten- anyone who does so will be ostracized, reported to the relevant authorities, and dragged through the streets by the rear bumper of my van.
Well said.

I think you are right on the money as well. And, I'd agree with what Bob said over on TDM about this being an opportunity to bring the various factions within our dive community together.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

dsteding wrote: Well said.

I think you are right on the money as well. And, I'd agree with what Bob said over on TDM about this being an opportunity to bring the various factions within our dive community together.
Doug....what is "TDM"? I'd like to read Bob's post.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

TDM -- http://www.divematrix.com

It seems that we have a risk management situation here -- by limiting the number of weights dropped on oe near these sites (by runnign line), less damage will be done. On the other hand, lines can attract people who shouldn't be using them. I think each site will have a different set of risks in each situation, and we should manage them accordingly.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
dsteding wrote: Well said.

Doug....what is "TDM"? I'd like to read Bob's post.

- John
Actuall, we prefer the acronym "DMX" ... http://www.divematrix.com/forums.php

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Forgive me, I wrote that in a oxycodone, no more wisdom teeth haze.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dsteding wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dude! The teeth may be gone, but the wisdom remains ... get well enough to dive soon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:
dsteding wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dude! The teeth may be gone, but the wisdom remains ... get well enough to dive soon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, get well bro! In the meantime, enjoy the pills... :smt051 I hate those little buggas - they make me itch!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Thanks guys, I'm off the oxy, that stuff is nasty. Things feel pretty good, no swelling, minimal pain.

Can't dive for a week or two, however . . .
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

A week?!?!?! That sux. Well if your scooter starts whining and scratching at the door to go for a swim give me a call? Otherwise it'll start pooping all over the carpet.

I also agree with Bobs message on "DMX".
we can really only speculate about who's creating the problem ... and whether it's due to maliciousness, ignorance, or simple human error. So education and awareness seems to be a logical approach.

We recently had a tech diver's symposium here that brought a lot of the dive community together ... although I didn't get a chance to go, I thought it was a great idea. Something like that would be useful to raise awareness, and perhaps establish some "guidelines" for accessing these wrecks. You still won't be able to "enforce" anything universally ... all you really need to dive these wrecks is a boat, depth sounder, and a reasonable idea of where they are after all ... but you can reach those who might be damaging them thru acts of ignorance or error, and provide them with enough knowledge to prevent that from happening.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Pez7378 wrote:A week?!?!?! That sux. Well if your scooter starts whining and scratching at the door to go for a swim give me a call? Otherwise it'll start pooping all over the carpet.
Ha, I appreciate the offer to take the scoot for a walk. Very kind of you.

This will be the longest I've been out of the water in over a year and a half. I know, I checked my logbook . . .