Hello- Finally!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Scott
Avid Diver

Hello- Finally!

Post by Scott »

We were introduced to and encouraged to sign up with the NWDC by John & Valerie after they came to Nootka Sound to check out the scenery. After signing up a couple of weeks ago and checking out the way things seemed to work I figured it was time to sit down and introduce myself to everybody instead of sneaking around in the background;-}

I took my first dive course in Terrace B.C. in 1976-geez that makes me feel kind'a old. Made a couple dives and then like a teenager who is going to change the world, I didn't have the time to do any diving for a couple of years- university and beer seemed to get in the way. After deciding that being a school teacher wasn't for me the Canadian navy appeared to be the way to go and thus my serious entry in the diving world. I spent a few years with the Fleet Diving Unit in Victoria and learned how the working world of diving operated. The daily chores of Navy life started to wear thin so my new bride, Jude, and I decided it was time to hit the road and explore the coast via sail boat. After spending 3-4 years beating around we thought it was time to join the world of responsible adults and moved ashore and got real jobs until what seemed like an eternity later we felt it was time to go back to being irresponsible boat people, so we sold our house, bought another boat and started wandering again, with our 9 year old son. We arrived in Tahsis in 1999 to visit some longtime friends and lo & behold, Nootka Sound got her teeth into us and we haven't gotten around to leaving. This is when I started to 'rec dive' again! It was really amazing the number critters there were to see when you started slowing down to look. That "let's get in, get the job done and get out" mentality slowly started to melt away and now I've even started to log my dives!

While I was working on a couple of the local tugs and studying to become a paramedic, Jude (who keeps me organised and focused) and I decided that Nootka Sound needed another active dive charter operater and thus started our new adventure. The local dive operator, Bart Van Herwaarden & Nootka Sound Charters, helped us get started and we were looking forward to working with him when he suddenly passed away and left us out here on our own. We opened our doors in August of 2005 and the learning curve has been extremely steep but with the help of some 'diving fanatics' that we've met and dove with over the last two years things are starting to fall into the groove:) Our village is pretty small and divers are few and far between so I certified as an instructor and we are now in the process of putting a new batch of enthusiastic divers in the water. I could go on and on about how great the diving is here but John and Valerie have said it much better than I could with the pictures and comments they have posted on Nootka Sound.

Well, enough of me going on and on, so if you ever think you'd like to visit Nootka Sound don't hesitate to give us a call cuz we love to meet new friends!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Welcome! This place rocks! Lots of divers from all around sharing cool stuff. You should fit right in. :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hello, and welcome!

i hope to visit your corner of the world someday!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi Scott and welcome!

I have fond memories of Tahsis and Nootka sound - 620 dives ago, I did dives #20 - #25 there at Otter Point, Mozino Point and the Gardens. I was a brand new diver and that was my very first dive trip! We dove with Bart - and we're so sorry to hear of his passing. :(

I was very excited to hear you guys are going to carry on the business there! We are making plans to come pay you a visit in spring of 2008 :)

Nootka Sound was actually the place where I got started on all of my Fish ID stuff - look where that got me! I took photos with my new underwater camera on that trip, and when I got back, attempted with the help of my instructor, to figure out what I had just seen. Lion Nudibranchs, Cloud Sponge, Strawberry Anemone, Chimney Sponge, Bat Stars, oodles of Rockfish, etc. Wow, amazing color and life!

To this day, the photos I took of the Cloud Sponge back in March of 2000 are the ones I use in the REEF invertebrate ID curriculum!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Hello and welcome to the club! Glad to have you on board
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hi, Scott! Welcome to the NWDC!

So, you let John dive off your boat? John RAWLINGS? Wow. I'm impressed- you're a braver man than I am! I gave him a ride in my van once, and, well, let's just say that my insurance provider refused to honor my claim, had to pay the guy at the scrap yard to crush it for me..... no way I'd let him near my boat, if I had one! :bootyshake:

Just kidding, obviously! I was lucky enough to see quite a few of the pictures John took up there, and they really blew my mind- it looks amazing, both above and below the water- I hope I can come up there next year!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Hey Scott!

Welcome to the club. I'm heading to Florida in 8 HOURS for Caverns and DEMA and am stoked, but also looking forward to returning to your place. We'll be there in '08 for sure! =D>

-Valerie
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Hi Valerie,

Have lots of fun and how about bringing us back some sunshine;-}

Scott
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

The NERVE of her.....leaving our cold, delightful PNW waters for sunny Florida. Treason....that's what it is....TREASON!

Welcome, Scott!!!! We had SUCH a great time diving and exploring with you up yonder in Nootka Sound. Anyone that hasn't yet seen Valerie's shots from the trip is in for a treat: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=3065

I hope that many more of our club members will be able to meet and dive with you as well someday.

I thought you told me that you had to flee to Tahsis after an abortive attempt to overthrow the state government of Hawaii by military force! That wasn't you? sorry....my bad....I get my dive operators mixed up..... ;)

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Poor John Rawlings, sure looks like he gets picked on a lot. But then again he was the the guy who stood on the back deck of the boat and warmed up the whole sound and raised the water level an inch and a half.
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks for introducing yourself Scott, and Welcome to NWDC. My Canadian diving experience is limited to Nanaimo and the wrecks there but I loved it. I can't wait to return to see some more of what Canada has to offer in the way of diving.
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Hello Pez,

Glad to hear that you'd like to do some more exploring this side of the line. Did you get a chance to look at some of Valerie's pictures. That's all we have out here:-} Sorry, no wreaks- that we've found yet.

Scott
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I saw the pictures Valerie took of the area and they are outstanding! I'd be more than happy to come up and help search for wrecks, but I better improve upon my photography skills just in case we dont find any.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Scott wrote:Poor John Rawlings, sure looks like he gets picked on a lot. But then again he was the the guy who stood on the back deck of the boat and warmed up the whole sound and raised the water level an inch and a half.
Ahem.....it was TWO inches! :bootyshake:

I wish that people would get their facts straight! Grumble....grumble....grumble....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Welcome, Scott!

Valerie shared lots of stories and pix with me before she deserted us for Florida (really....the nerve!). I hope to visit you, also!

And no worries about your first dive class in 1976...mine was 1965.. \:D/

Jackie
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

jackieg wrote: And no worries about your first dive class in 1976...mine was 1965.. \:D/

Jackie
Wow! They didn't even have BCDs back then, did they?! :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Seth dear...they barely had electricity back then, wrote notes on stone tablets, etc. so no....no BCD. The photo I have of my first class shows the classic tan harness straps holding the tank. No flotation, no pockets, no gadgets...just tank and straps. Simple, eh?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

jackieg wrote:Seth dear...they barely had electricity back then, wrote notes on stone tablets, etc. so no....no BCD. The photo I have of my first class shows the classic tan harness straps holding the tank. No flotation, no pockets, no gadgets...just tank and straps. Simple, eh?
Yeah, I'm a huge James Bond fan, and in Sean Connery's Thunderball (1965) they have the famous underwater war scene. (If anyone hasn't seen this movie, WATCH IT! It's incredible!) I was amazed to see not a single BCD, just weight belts and straps to hold the tanks. Those guys are fricking nuts!

So, how did you control buoyancy at depth? Hold a really deep breath? Pick up a rock? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

As I remember, I was neutrally weighted between the tank and not much more weight..don't even recall it being an issue.

jackie
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Hi Jackie,

Glad to hear that someone remembers the days of no BC's. Seems like a long time ago! If we ever meet maybe we should try out my old double hose to see if it really works:-}

Scott
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast