What's your favorite SHORE DIVE???

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

100ft rock ive always wanted to dive there!!
Who run barter town?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

100 Foot Rock is a beautiful site, but very small. I like to go there either solo or with one other diver....more than 2 and you keep running into each other. To get there you have to either cross the railroad tracks and climb down to the beach for a beach hike at low tide, or walk up the railroad tracks and risk a ticket for trespassing....I've done it both ways.

The site itself is a huge boulder (about 30 feet long, 20 feet wide and 15 feet high) covered with orange Zoanthids like a head of hair. A small clay wall goes off to the north. It's an absolutely marvelous site for macro photography. Every year or so there will be a huge octopus living under the rock in a cave. Fishes that you will see there include Ling Cod, cabezon, Copper Rockfish, Quillback Rockfish, Sturgeon Poachers, Red Irish Lords, Sailfin Sculpins, all manner of other Sculp[ins, gunnels and gobies....plus, I usually see 1 or 2 juvenile yelloweye rockfish there - an unusual find! Invertebrates cover the rock and the wall and abound in the surrounding sand.

Perhaps one of these days we can link up and dive there together. If you like going slow and looking at all the little critters, then 100 Foot Rock is for you. If you swim like a rocket and measure the quality of a dive by the distance you cover, the rock would probably bore you to tears! HA!

Best regards!

John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

That would be great next time you want to dive there you can send me a PM...
jason
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

John, I almost went there one day until I heard about the hike. Your description of the actual dive has renewed my interest though. Shucks, you're halfway to a dive site listing if you care to try your hand at one.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Favorite shore dives

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:
Straight of Juan de Fuca: Salt Creek County Park and Sekiu Jetty.
Hey! I've "camped" at Salt Creek maybe a dozen times- cool spot! They were all before I started diving; I was just wondering if there were any good dives there- funny how fast my question was answered! I'd love to go dive it sometime.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

John aren't you one of the bad asses that solved that mystery of the Diamont Knot. Didn't you find that leg bone or some ting. tell me more.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Maverick wrote:John aren't you one of the bad asses that solved that mystery of the Diamont Knot. Didn't you find that leg bone or some ting. tell me more.
"Mystery of the Diamond Knot"????? Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by that. I didn't know that there even was a "mystery" involving the Diamond Knot.

I did, however, find a leg bone (femur) and a skull in Lake Crescent. Those bones proved later in MtDNA testing to be those of Russell Warren, missing since 1929.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yah thats what I meant, the diamond knot is the wreck that i want to dive. sorry. I think that is awesome that you found that, what a cool experience. i am so interestedin how to deep dive, or tech dive with stage bottles and stuff. I am looking forward to your presentation.
Mav
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Thanks! I always look forward to giving it! It'll be great to finally meet some of you guys!

By the way, the Diamond Knot is an absolutely AWESOME dive! It was the subject of my very first free-lance article with ADM.....after they read it they asked me to come on as a staff writer!

Best regards!

John

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

[quote="John Rawlings"]Thanks! I always look forward to giving it! It'll be great to finally meet some of you guys!

May be a dumb question, but what is ADM?
Maverick

STAIRS.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Advanced Diver Magazine?

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

John is it possabule for you to post a link to that story you did ?
IU would like to read that I have heard a little about the Dimond Knot but not much be cool to find out more

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

[quote="Maverick
May be a dumb question, but what is ADM?[/quote]

"WHAT IS ADM?!!!!!" [-X

It's only the BEST darn dive magazine on the face of the PLANET! (Of course, I'm a wee bit biased!)

I'll see what I can do about being a few copies to the presentation on the Warren case that we're planning.

In the meantime, check out the web-site:

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

so it wsa a dimb question
Maverick

STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Ever hear that there are NO dumb questions? Well, it's true! HA!

Now, if I had been thinking, I would've told you that it stood for "Anal Dame Magazine" or something like that to get you going!

- John

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote:John is it possabule for you to post a link to that story you did ?
IU would like to read that I have heard a little about the Dimond Knot but not much be cool to find out more

Sparky
Nope, I can't add a link to it on ADM. ADM On-Line members can access it through the web site, but no one else can.

What I CAN do, though, is post the article (just words) here in this thread and maybe post some pics on the NWDC photo site, (if I can figure out how).

Here's the article:

Diamond Knot Wreck - “Jewel of the Emerald Sea”

Text and Photography by John Rawlings

The cool, dense fog off the waters of Washington’s Olympic Peninsula made even the brightest of lights appear dim as the 326 foot Diamond Knot slowly steamed her way through the Strait of Juan de Fuca toward Seattle. Most of the crew was below deck, with only a handful on watch peering into the darkness. Under charter to the Alaska Steamship Company, the ship was fully loaded with a cargo more precious than oil, gold or jewels to a hungry post World War II world population. The 5,525-ton freighter carried more than seven million cans of King, Chum and Cohoe salmon from Bristol Bay, Alaska, a huge part of the annual catch that was worth millions of dollars on the world market.

Although the fog was particularly thick this night, the Diamond Knot was not unaccustomed to hazardous voyages. During the war, the little freighter and her sister ships had endured potential air attacks, submarine infested waters, invasions and numerous storms. Although she had survived those threats, she would not survive the events of this particular night – August 13th, 1947.

Steaming in the opposite direction of the Diamond Knot toward the mouth of the strait and the Pacific Ocean was the 10,681-ton freighter, Fenn Victory. Outbound from Seattle, she had off-loaded much of her cargo and only carried approximately 200 tons. Lightened of much of her load, she was riding high in the water and moving fast. Unknown to the crews and captains of both ships, the two vessels were on a collision course.

To the crew of the Diamond Knot, the first sign that something was amiss was when the bow of the Fenn Victory suddenly appeared to starboard, like a huge apparition through the thick mist. At 1:15 A.M., the Fenn Victory’s bow crashed into the starboard side of the smaller freighter, slicing more than 14 feet into her and locking the two vessels together. In the abject stillness of the thick fog the huge jolt and the shriek of tortured and twisting metal awakened the crews, plunging them into what would prove to be a night of both terror and desperation. At this time, the two ships were approximately six miles North of Port Angeles in the shipping lanes mid-way between the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island.

Distress calls immediately went out from the two vessels, and tugs were hurriedly dispatched from both nearby Port Angeles and Victoria, British Columbia. Upon arrival, the tugs found a scene of complete confusion. Everything seemed to be in chaos as both crews struggled desperately to cut their ships free – hacking, clawing and fighting the entangled booms, masts and crosstrees. The Fenn Victory had cut so deeply into the Diamond Knot that the smaller freighter’s main deck was awash and her holds were quickly filling with the bone-chilling waters of the strait. While the desperate battle to save the ship and her cargo continued, the ebb tide pushed the interlocked vessels steadily westward. Finally, after long hours of struggle involving the cutting away of huge chunks of entangled metal and jettisoning of debris, the two ships were finally free of each other. The Fenn Victory, in no danger of sinking, was able to manage to limp back to port under her own power.

For the Diamond Knot and her crew the struggle had just begun……

In a desperate attempt to save the vessel and her precious cargo, the tugs placed the Diamond Knot in tow, stern first, and headed directly south toward Crescent Bay, where it was hoped the sheltered waters would serve as the ship’s salvation. The intention was to beach her before the sheer weight of the onrushing frigid water pulled her down into the depths. This proved to be a forlorn hope as the combination of the seawater rushing through the huge gap in her side and the massive currents at the mouth of Crescent Bay finally came to be too much for the Diamond Knot and those who struggled to save her. Only about one quarter mile from shore, the freighter began to roll on her side, allowing an additional massive influx of water into her remaining holds. At 8:57 A.M., the Diamond Knot sank below the surface, coming to rest on its starboard side in 135 feet of water just off of Tongue Point.

This was one of the largest cargo losses ever on the West Coast; and within hours salvage efforts were being organized. Because of the type and value of the cargo, new methods of salvage had to be tried and tried fast. Time was the primary enemy as the precious cargo of canned Salmon would not be able to long endure the effects of pressure and corrosion. Surface-supplied divers cut their way through the sides of the vessel into its holds to gain access to the precious salmon. Huge siphons were devised that were used to vacuum the cans to the surface and onto waiting barges. It was one of the greatest and most innovative salvage jobs in history. By the end of October, more than 5,700,000 cans had been recovered to help feed an impoverished, war-torn world. Finally, after weeks of intense labor in and above the cold waters of the strait, the successful salvagers were able to return to their homeports and the wreck of the Diamond Knot was left to the ravages of the sea.

Amidst the huge triumph of the salvage operations, however, one more tragedy still remained to be played out …..one night shortly thereafter, haunted by what had happened and the role that he had played, the Captain of the Fenn Victory shut himself in the cabin of his ship and quietly hanged himself.

Today, the Diamond Knot has become a gold mine for Pacific Northwest Technical Divers and advanced recreational divers who have the knowledge and skills to experience her. In addition to the damage inflicted by the collision with the Fenn Victory, the massive cutting operations involved in the salvage efforts further weakened the hull and much of the wreck has collapsed upon itself over time. Penetration of the wreck is still possible at some points, but such a venture requires extreme levels of training, skill and caution.

Time and the nutrient-rich waters of the Strait of Juan de Fuca have taken their toll on the Diamond Knot. The vessel is enshrouded with a thick encrustation of anemones, scallops, sponges, giant barnacles and hundreds of other underwater denizens of the Pacific Northwest. Throughout most of the wreck, it is only the straight and regular edges obviously created by man that mark it as a sunken ship and not a marvelously intricate rocky reef. Serving as an artificial reef, the Diamond Knot hosts huge numbers of various species of Northwest Rockfish and Greenling that often will curiously approach divers. The Diamond Knot is a dream for both the macro and wide-angle photographer, with life literally covering almost every square inch of the wreck. The invertebrate population quite literally consists of everything from the tiniest of single-celled creatures to the giant Puget Sound King Crab and virtually everything else in between. Huge Ling Cod, Cabezon, Red Irish Lord and Wolf Eel can be found on the wreck and make marvelous photo opportunities when they can be convinced to pose. A healthy population of Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini) can also be found living amongst the nooks and crannies of the wreck, feeding on the vast quantities of crustaceans to be found there. Each season individual Octopuses of great size are reported by visiting divers and underwater photographers.

Visibility on the Diamond Knot is never constant and is heavily dependent on the season as well as both current and weather conditions, occasionally dropping to 10 feet or less (at times, far less!). Divers would do best to explore the ship with the attitude of accepting whatever visibility “Old Juan de Fuca” decides to allow, planning ahead for all possible conditions.

Just as they brought the Diamond Knot to her eventual demise, today the tidal currents sweeping over the wreck can still be fierce, and dives should be planned for slack water or periods of low tidal exchange. While exploring the wreck, structure can be used to block much of the force of the current. However, divers need to be constantly aware that those same currents can drastically affect their ascent and should plan accordingly. While the Diamond Knot can be planned as a non-decompression dive, those divers planning decompression stops using an anchor line would be well served to carry JON lines as part of their equipment and be thoroughly acquainted with their use in high current. Additionally, a solid knowledge of reel and lift-bag decompression techniques and skills is also recommended should a decompressing diver be swept off the anchor line. Divers and boat crews should discuss and anticipate such events and plan for them before they occur.

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Thanks for the article John!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Who run barter town?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

You're welcome! I cut out the final paragraph from the article. It was about the charter operation that we used to use when we would dive the Diamond Knot. It was called "Soundwave Scuba" and their dive boat was the "Misty Fjord". They are now out of business, so I thought that including the final paragraph made no sense!

The photos are now posted here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/gallery/v/Joh ... 1.tif.html

Best regards!

John

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

wow!!!!

grate story john thanks for posting it.
now I realy would like to make that dive but I am saveing her for when I learn to do deco stops this is one of the wercks I plan to viset when the day comes I can call me self a Tch Diver.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote:wow!!!!

grate story john thanks for posting it.
now I realy would like to make that dive but I am saveing her for when I learn to do deco stops this is one of the wercks I plan to viset when the day comes I can call me self a Tch Diver.

Sparky
In all honesty, the Diamond Knot is strictly an advanced dive. The visibility can often be poor and the currents viscious. A typical "no-deco" dive on the Diamond Knot basically means spending only 10 minutes or less on the wreck, so understanding the use of Nitrox, Trimix, deco and travel gases and deco procedures are all VERY good things.

Don't get me wrong - a recreational diver CAN dive the Diamond Knot....that's how I did it the first time.....but if you want to spend any time at all on the wreck and have a good quality dive you're going to go into deco and that requires equipment, skills, knowledge and experience in deco procedures.

You're going to love it when you DO dive it, though!

Best regards!

John

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Very cool article- thanks for putting it up here, John! I'd love to dive that someday. I think I have a wee bit more training to do first, though! Maybe if I subscribe to that Anal Dominant Magazine you mentioned, I could get some pointers!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

where can I buy o copy of anal dipping Midgets (LOL) John I looked at this huge news stnd by my house, it must be by subscrpition only.?
Maverick

STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

It's subscription only. I'll bring some to the July presentation.

- John

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Favorite shore dive ... that's a tough one ...

If it were based on the sheer number of times I've dived there, it'd have to be Cove 2 ... I'm certain I've done more than 500 (non-training) dives there to date.

If it were based on the best photo ops it'd be Day Island Wall.

If I could "widen the field" to include all of the Pac NW, it'd be Ogden Pt. Breakwater in Victoria.

If I could widen it further to include the whole west coast, it'd be Monastery, in Monterey CA.

If I could include all the places I've ever dived, it'd be a toss-up between the USS Liberty in Tulamben, Bali or the Salt Pier in Bonaire.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Bob, interesting list. I'm especially intrigued by the Victoria dive, since I used to live there (before I was a diver), and I used to hang out at Ogden Pt. pretty often. I've got to get up there.

Also, I've never done Day Island Wall. I'll have to check that one out as well. Thanks!