poor SUUNTO experience

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Cera
Submariner

poor SUUNTO experience

Post by Cera »

I am a huge fan of Suunto computers, however, my friend just bought the new D9 and had some problems.
He took both his D9 and his older cobra to honduras with us.. not only did his D9 flood! (the transmitting unit) but it wouldn't download any of the dives from his watch unit! Then his cobra turned off on the very next dive! We changed the batttery but alas, it was DEAD! So after we got back from our trip, he sent in both units and while they replaced the D9 for him they said the Cobra was 'too old to fix'! This computer wasn't that old, and had barely any dives on it (mostly due to the fact he has been deployed for 3 of the last 4 years!)
Has anyone else heard of such a thing? How absoloutley dissapointing!
What do you guys think?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Where did you purchase the Suunto computers?

He probably has the Cobra I, which Suunto no longer makes. If it is 4 years old, I would think it is out of warrenty anyway. (most computers have a 2 year warranty.) Unfortunately, warranties are base on time, not usage. The Cobra II is pretty cool (I played with it at DEMA) and it is the update.

I have heard of problems with the Cobra, but mainly with the quick-disconnects. I know there was a batch about 3-4 years ago where they would register funky depths (say you were at 250, instead of the 35 feet). I have not know one to just quit, like you described.

Suuntos are very reliable and awesome computers. They are a bit conservative for my taste, but regardless, good computers. It sounds like you just had bad luck.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Yea, my husbands first computer didn't register depth at all.... Then registered a dive simultaniously with an actual dive.. It was recorded as a dive to 380 feet for like 90 minutes, it was crazy, I sent it to suunto, but never got an explination.
I understand that it is based on time, but really that is pretty crappy they could have at least offered him a coupon off a new one or something...

I haven't actually seen the new cobras yet... but I thought they still sold the old cobras, it was in the 07 catalogue...
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I had heard about the Cobra doing that when they first came out. Have not heard about them having problems for a long time.

I still dive my orignal Suunto Eon Serial #173. A friend loved it so much he picked up a almost new on ebay this year for $100 bucks. Mine is like 8 or 9 years old. I wish it would break or wear out so I can justify a new one. My older eyes are having problems reading the numbers.
Charles
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I just sent my Vytec in for service ... it developed a tendency to read a depth shallower than it was actually at. Often when I hit 10 feet it would tell me I was at the surface. Damned inconvenient for deco.

I like the computer's features, but that's a really bad failure mode for a dive computer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I've had my Vyper since 2001 (which I bought used from my instructor at the time). It is a marvelous computer. I've dove with it around the world and have never had a single complaint about it. Just keeps on ticking. Sorry you had a poor experience. Suuntos rock! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

Grateful Diver wrote:I just sent my Vytec in for service ... it developed a tendency to read a depth shallower than it was actually at. Often when I hit 10 feet it would tell me I was at the surface. Damned inconvenient for deco.
i'm with you. if your computer is going to have issues, you want it to just totally die...not fail in subtle ways you might not notice.

one of my dive buddies has gone through 4 oceanic puck computers with similar "bad failure mode" problems. they can't keep time for one (gains an hour on the clock over the course of a week) and had other random issues that make you not trust it.

i have also heard that a LOT of the oceanic pro-plus computers fail on a regular basis and that oceanic dealers see way more of those than the suuntos coming back for service (which is why i bought a suunto...but some people obviously have issues there too).

but that just goes to show you that none of the manufacturers are infallible. remember the uwatec recall a couple years back on the smart-coms?

i am diving the cobra 1 ($180 on ebay with compass...can't say no) but have been eyeing the vytec mostly for the gas switching feature. afraid of the VT3 because of what i have heard about oceanics failing.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well the word I got is that since my Vytec is more than 2 years old they won't fix it and they won't replace it ... but they will sell me a replacement Vytec for the discounted price of $640.

I don't think so ... [-X

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

hoover wrote: i am diving the cobra 1 ($180 on ebay with compass...can't say no) but have been eyeing the vytec mostly for the gas switching feature. afraid of the VT3 because of what i have heard about oceanics failing.
I dove a Cobra 1 for years without any problems. It is a good computer but the difference in the algorithims between it and my husband's Wisdom, I decided to switch. I like the countdown mode on my Wisdom better, it isn't as conservative, and the numbers are easier to read.

I dove with Aeris T3 Elite for a few months. (Same computer as VT3) and I liked it a lot. I didn't have any problems with it at all, but I didn't like it being wrist mounted. That's why I went back to a console. I sold it to one of my divemasters and he LOVES it. Mark has been diving it for about 6 months without an issue. Sounder also dives the VT3 and he likes his a lot too.

As for them "dying" they have a 2 year warrenty. Aeris/Oceanic has also been really good about taking back anything and either fixing or replacing it if there is problem, as long as you purchased it from an authorized dealer. They also have a trade in program that you get 20% off when you trade in your old computer for a new one.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Pinkpadigal wrote: They also have a trade in program that you get 20% off when you trade in your old computer for a new one.
Oh, now that's tempting. Any word when the Vytek2 will be out, Amy? I'm holding out for that one. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

Seth T. wrote: Oh, now that's tempting. Any word when the Vytek2 will be out, Amy? I'm holding out for that one. \:D/
she is talking about the oceanics, not the suuntos. the oceanic warranty was tempting to me (after a salesman at a local LDS was extolling the virtues of oceanics warranty), but the discount you get on a replacement I found wasn't really good because it was off MSRP...and oftentimes you can already buy the same computer at a dive shop (retail, not refurbished...with warranty) for less than that.

bob: $640 for a replacement vytec is definitely better than 20% off MSRP since the MSRP on that is 1299 I think. :) best price I have found on vytec with transmitter is $799 for a demo model with full warranty. but yeah, can understand your frustration. seems like most of these companies (you can see oceanic is doing the same thing) like to say "it is too old to fix" after just a couple years and try to get you to buy another one. someone diving the same computer their whole life isn't good business for the dive computer manufacturers.

given my personal feelings about the warranties on computers really not being that great after (or even before) you hit the 2 year mark... that is why I decided I was definitely okay with buying a used computer. it has been used, you find out right away if it is still working properly or not (well for most of the obvious stuff)...and if it has worked this long already, odds are it will keep going. plus the price difference between a good deal used and good deal new is so big...the warranty just doesn't make it worth it. most used computers, if they show up with a problem, you can just send it back.

regulators on the other hand...the parts for life on oceanic and scuba pros make buying new worth it because after just a couple years you have already hit break even with buying used due to parts cost. after more years it saves you money.

anyway, just my 2 cents. i will qualify this by saying I just started diving the beginning of september...so feel free to assume i know jack-sh*t. ;)

matt
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

hoover wrote:
she is talking about the oceanics, not the suuntos. matt
Bummer! :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

hoover wrote: bob: $640 for a replacement vytec is definitely better than 20% off MSRP since the MSRP on that is 1299 I think. :) best price I have found on vytec with transmitter is $799 for a demo model with full warranty. but yeah, can understand your frustration. seems like most of these companies (you can see oceanic is doing the same thing) like to say "it is too old to fix" after just a couple years and try to get you to buy another one. someone diving the same computer their whole life isn't good business for the dive computer manufacturers.
$640 was for the computer ... no transmitter. MSRP is something like $699.

FWIW - I've never owned an air-integrated computer. Never felt the need to spend that kind of money ... a $50 SPG works just fine for me.

I got the Vytec because it offered features the Vyper didn't have. Turns out I can get pretty much the same features on the Tec2G for a much lower price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

Grateful Diver wrote: $640 was for the computer ... no transmitter. MSRP is something like $699.

FWIW - I've never owned an air-integrated computer. Never felt the need to spend that kind of money ... a $50 SPG works just fine for me.

I got the Vytec because it offered features the Vyper didn't have. Turns out I can get pretty much the same features on the Tec2G for a much lower price.
yeah, without the transmitter, not such a good deal.

i like the digital pressure gauge. me being "hoover" i can see the pressure drop breath by breath! :) okay, it isn't that bad anymore.

i will have to take a look at the Tec2G if it will give me gas switching for less.