Perfect Dive Vehicle

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Perfect Dive Vehicle

Post by Fishstiq »

I did a search for this, but nothing came up. I'm a little suprised this hasn't been discussed, to be honest... or maybe i am just missing it. #-o

I am looking for the perfect dive vehicle. For those of you who know what I drive now... shut up. :bootyshake: I have heard that USPS trucks are good, since they are aluminum and have good cargo space, but I have no idea where to get one. I have been looking at Outbacks and Foresters, and both seem pretty cool. A cargo van would be nice (Nailer), but I'd be worried about the floor rusting out. Pickup trucks are good to, but it's difficult to access the front end of the bed with a canopy on. I would like something at least reasonably economical, 20+mpg, with gas prices rising. Durability is important, and cargo space is obviously a must, since I am usually transporting 2 full sets of gear, with tanks for multiple dives, and I am looking at going to doubles or a r/b soon.

I can't wait to see what people who aren't me come up with. This is gonna be awesome! Also, please explain why you pick your vehicle of choice. Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Im not you (Thankfully) so I have a suggestion.................................

NOT a GEO METRO!!

Oh why? Because your friends will be too embarassed to ride in it. :bootyshake:
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Didn't you see the part about shut up? besides, you said it was okay for night dives when no one could see you in it. :-({|=
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

anything with a bench to gear up on. like a pick up ( not to lifted though) or a mid size suv . if you go the pick up route get a solid cover for the bed. they are pricey for a good one but not nearly as much as replacing all my gear.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I understand the difficulty of reaching the cab side of a truck's bed when a canopy is on it, however I still am going to say trucks are the way to go for diving.

I drive a '92 ford ranger and love love it for diving. For one, it is old and no amount of saltwater bothers me, plus it is easy to hose out. I don't have a canopy on it. I mounted a tank rack system behind the cab/in the bed, which was the best investment hands down. four tanks out of the way and no fear of losing them on the road. My dive buddy and I use large rubbermaid bins to transport gear from the house to the truck...they sit next to a 4 ft piece of unistrut that I bolted into the bed, sideways, which has two bike fork mounts on it. With those already strapped into place, the pop of a lid, and in minutes I have the gear rigged toward the tailgate. Perfect height to sit/lean against and strap BC on, never straining to lift from the ground.

Pros: truck bed ideal for gear...rinsing, not smelling inside of car, staging gear/donning and doffing, easy tank rack install
Cons: less passenger space, no canopy = risk of theft
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Get yourself an old rusty van. Strip out the back and buy a few cans of Hurcules Bed liner, coat the botom, and maybe a foot up the walls, finally, drill out some drain holes in the bottom. Totally waterproof and will take a beating (from what I've heard), so you can hose out the van when it gets dirty.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I drive a Forester.
I have gotten enough gear for 3 divers in the back and the 3 divers in the front.

I use my back seats as a dry area when I go diving.
Anything that I don't want to get wet stays in the back seat.

That leaves the cargo area for all the gear that is getting wet. \:D/

I like that you can get a rubber cargo {wagon part} area tray.
{You can also get rubber floor mats if you do a lot of hiking or just like getting your feet muddy}.

I load all my wet gear in the back on the rubber tray.
When I get home and get the wet salty gear out.
I pull out the tray and give it a rinse with the garden hose.
Then I toss it back in the cargo area.
This has worked well for me. The only issue is ~ when you stop after a dive for lunch or coffee with your buddy ~ the car gets steamy inside.
Its not bad if you remember to leave a few windows cracked.

I am not a tall gal so I can use the hatch as an overhead cover when I gear up in the rain.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The Ranger makes a decent dive vehicle. Get a bed box and the king cab, you can store all your gear locked inside when it's dry, leave it in the bed when it's wet. I love being able to gear up on the tailgate, and not having to worry about getting the inside of the truck full of salt.

And Joe, nobody should make fun of any vehicle that can haul a 12 gallon compressor around. =D>

Is that the one with the 3 cylinder engine?

Jake
CBFin
Just Settling In

Post by CBFin »

It might be a big step up from a Metro, but if you are looking at diving in comfort, this has to be the way to go...
http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm
How many dive vehicles do you know that you can actually dive from? I mean really...it has it own swim step. :prayer:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

You should have bought that, Chris. It's probably less than your Tundra! #-o
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

we didn't buy it specifically for diving, but our Outback is great. easily holds gear for 2 (probably more, just haven't tried), decent mileage (high 20s), drives really well, and sitting in the back with the rear gate open to put gear on is really convenient.

Subarus also have a reputation for lasting a long time. our previous subie wagon was 18 years old with almost 200k miles on it. it was still running strong when we sold it.

good luck. let us know how much you end up selling your metro to pez for. \:D/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

My old rig was a 2003 Mazda PR 5. It was a hatchback/wagon that got 35 mpg and held two sets of gear in the back. My "new" rig is a '95 Bronco that gets 14 mpg and has a lot more room and a tailgate to gear up on.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I actually have been kind of looking for something. I really like the Subaru Outback a lot. It will pull the "Scuba Kat" for day trips, take me to the mountain and more. Diane and I have decided to keep my 1997 Ford F150 Lariat Super Cab 4x4. This truck has been a dream and is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven in. I bought it new in June 96 and have almost 235,000 miles on it. It still gets 17+ mpg on the hwy (14 to 15 pulling the boat). And have never had Knock on Wood any problems. It has a locking canopy for sleeping, fold down rear seat, leather and all the toys. And on those long distant drives for diving, and did I say it is real comfortable. :supz: I have even slept in the front seat.

What ever you get make sure it is comfortable for the long drives for diving. I have taken the truck from Carmel Ca to Vancouver Canada.
Charles
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

I drive a Ford Ranger with a canopy. I cannot do w/o the tailgate for gearing up. I had the lining sprayed on. I have been looking for, but unable to find, a device that enables you to tip the canopy up from the side, called "Tilt-A-Top". I saw one once on a diver's pickup at a dive shop, wrote down the info and have since lost it. All I can remember is the manufacturer was somewhere in the midwest. Googling it turns up no results.

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I love my Honda Element ... I suspect it was designed by a diver.

It's got tons of room for gear ... it's all plastic, so it washes out easily ... seats fold up, or come out completely, and are easily put down when needed ... when not needed, the metal rings the seats lock into make perfect tie-downs for scuba tanks and other gear. There are additional tie-downs located in the back of the interior ... it gets about 25 mpg on average ... and it's just plain fun to drive.

The only thing I wish is that it had a larger hatch to serve as a "roof" on rainy days ... but on the other hand, the lower "half" of that hatch is a tailgate which is real handy for gearing up ... so I guess I can live with that ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Bob, did I not see you with a tent attachment for your Element once?
Charles
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

You guys have it all wrong. Wrong I say! If I'm doing the "perfect dive" I guarantee you that it's not a shore dive! So the perfect dive vehicle has to float!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Bob, did I not see you with a tent attachment for your Element once?
Yup ... it's useful at times. One of the most useful things it's for is "privacy". When diving at sites that don't have a toilet available, I'll sometimes bring a porta-potty and my tailgate tent.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

DOH! #-o "TOPPER"! I should have realized that's what they call them in other parts of the country. The truck I had before this one I bought when I was in Flori-duh. When I told them I wanted a canopy, they didn't know what I was talking about at first. We exchanged sign language and verbal grunts to communicate that what I wanted was called a "topper" in that neck of the woods.

Anybody here have one of those? If you bought it w/in the last 47 days, you can get a bird-dog fee for referring me if I buy one.

Tiltatopper bird-dog bonus.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Dmitchell wrote:... So the perfect dive vehicle has to float!

Dave
For how long?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Until it becomes a new dive site!

This one would work! it's for sale $482,000

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I've fished off a boat identical to that one up off Vancouver island. It'd make an awsome dive boat. We went out in some weather in that thing that had the Deckhands leaning over the rail.....
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Dmitchell wrote: So the perfect dive vehicle has to float! Dave
I have to agree with Dave on this one. The perfect dive vehicle is a truck to pull the perfect dive boat. Of course when I bought my truck, the dealer thought I was nuts because I went to the back of each truck, dropped the tailgate, and backed up to the tailgate to see how high off the ground it was.

I don't like lifting those twin tanks too high!

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Oh my God, that is the dive boat of my dreams. Now if only I win the lottery.
Charles