Friday Harbor / San Juan Island

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
rjarnold
Submariner

Friday Harbor / San Juan Island

Post by rjarnold »

Greg and I are staying at the Lakedale Resort Dec. 24th & 25th. We've never dove the San Juans and I'm wondering what types of dives are around there and the logistics? Thanks to all who can help! :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Cool! Merry Christmas! Are you looking to shore dive or do you want to take a charter?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Tom Nic wrote:Cool! Merry Christmas! Are you looking to shore dive or do you want to take a charter?
Maybe one charter but some shore dives would be great! :)
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

There are several shore dives but the best by far is Lilm Kiln Lighthouse which is on the west side of the island.

In general most of the shore dives are shallow and not nearly as interesting as the wall off Lilm Kiln Lighthouse.

The boat dives are great however.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Pick up Northwest Shore Dives. It has several in the San Juans. :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

gcbryan wrote:There are several shore dives but the best by far is Lilm Kiln Lighthouse which is on the west side of the island.

In general most of the shore dives are shallow and not nearly as interesting as the wall off Lilm Kiln Lighthouse.

Lime Kiln can be nucking futz with currents and they can change on a dime. Lime Kiln is a favorite spot for whale watching and salmon fishing as well - don't know about salmon fishing while you're there, but the whales might bring boats of curious tourists.

The currents are worth mentioning again - heed them seriously. They absolutely RIP through there and while it's a great dive, I'd recommend it be done from a live boat on slack.

There is a charter company/LDS from Friday Harbor, but people on this board have had very mixed experiences with them. I have not had any interaction with them but have avoided them after hearing some troubling stories.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Sounder wrote:
gcbryan wrote:There are several shore dives but the best by far is Lilm Kiln Lighthouse which is on the west side of the island.

Lime Kiln can be nucking futz with currents and they can change on a dime. Lime Kiln is a favorite spot for whale watching and salmon fishing as well - don't know about salmon fishing while you're there, but the whales might bring boats of curious tourists.

The currents are worth mentioning again - heed them seriously. They absolutely RIP through there and while it's a great dive, I'd recommend it be done from a live boat on slack.

There is a charter company/LDS from Friday Harbor, but people on this board have had very mixed experiences with them. I have not had any interaction with them but have avoided them after hearing some troubling stories.
It's no Cove 2 that's for sure but it's no different than any other dive site with current...you time it for slack and go on a lower exchange day if possible. If you can dive Sunrise from shore you can dive Lilm Kiln. In many ways it's easier since you never really leave the entry area and can always get out if the currents become a problem.

By the way the LDS in Friday Harbor that you refer to has changed owners and is now run by Bandito Charters basically.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

gcbryan wrote:By the way the LDS in Friday Harbor that you refer to has changed owners and is now run by Bandito Charters basically.
That's good to know! Perhaps a visit is in order next time we're up at Lopez! =D> It's just a free (walk/bike on) ferry-ride away.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Hm, I don't know when this thread stopped emailing me responses...but anyways :P

I don't know that we're actually going to do any/much diving there now. Sad as it sounds, it'll be nice not having to tow the gear around and get all that stuff ready to go. Just want a nice, relaxing couple of days after the sheer torture of these last few weeks of the quarter. I leave for Florida on the 1st and plan on some diving there!! Yeah, tropics, here I come!!!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There is a voluntary vessel exlusion zone along the west side of San Juan Island by Lime Kiln - possibly in ordinance now(?). I don't think you need to worry too much about the commercial whale watching operators being within 1/4mile of the shoreline. They should never be between Orcas and the shoreline anyway.

Its rocky, its surgy, there's kelp, and there are boating restrictions when whales are present. Not a divesite where diver-boater conflicts are of that much concern.

The salmon fishermen are generally using downriggers in water >100ft in depth.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I tried diving this site on the 25th. Unfortunately, the winds were whipping through the island, and though the exchange was very low (less than a foot!) and the current predicted to be pretty slow, the wind created havoc on the surface. It was incredibly choppy and the water pounded and splashed up against the rock ledge. Nice to see, not so nice to dive... Of course, Greg and I didn't even attempt it. Deadman's bay really wasn't any better. No dives :(

I think I almost cried the next day as we were leaving and the weather was warm, no wind, and the water was like a mirror. :P
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic