High Diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

High Diving

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I am planning on doing some lake diving up in the Cascades. Has anyone done any altitude diving??? I am looking for some info about diving above 3000 feet. I know I can set my computer but I want some info to make sure I don't get bent.

The best part of these dives is my gear is going to be so clean!!!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Where did you have in mind? I know that glacier fed lakes are pretty cold. But im up to try it.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I've done the Altitude Specialty. Best thing you can do to prepare is read that section in the Advanced Manual, and arrive at your destination early so you can offgas. Need to be there at least one hour before entering the water.

(I did mine in Clear Lake, Oregon, can't help with WA lakes, sorry!)

-Valerie
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I am going to dive Mowich Lake on Mt Rainier on Friday. I will give a full report when I get back. I have done a little reading about high diving but this lake is almost 5000 feet so I want to make sure I don't get bent.

Valerie...thanks for the tip. I read some in the Padi Encylopedia but not a lot of info. My computer will adjust for diving in altitude but I also want to make sure I am careful.

As for the cold, I have a drysuit. It should keep me plenty warm. The lake isn't frozen so I should be good.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I'd wear all the layers you wear at the height of winter. Clear Lake was around 42 degrees at the bottom (mid June). We managed 88 minutes of bottom time over two dives, but my hands were painfully cold at the end and I was wishing I had dry gloves. That's with all my winter layers on plus argon in my suit. Also, bring some hot beverages for hand warming afterward, you'll be glad you did.

-Valerie