Help~~~ Strobe for Canon G9

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Help~~~ Strobe for Canon G9

Post by Crystaltear »

First of all, buddies, Merry Christmas! ^o^

So, here's the story. Christmas time, daddy's giving me a present. \:D/ He was going to get me a DSLR camera set, but I've already got my G9 and LOVING it, and of course, can't really afford a housing for it right now :p So he agreed to get me a strobe instead, yay! :occasion5:

Now the problem is I'm pretty new to photography and have no knowledge on strobe and lighting staff. Had a quick look at it, thought Sea & Sea YS-110 isn't too bad, but will it work with my camera and housing (Canon WP-DC21, should have got the Ikelite if I knew this was coming)? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks and enjoy your holiday :hello2:
Guanjin
Guanjin
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I'm looking at buying the g9 in the next few weeks. It seems to be just about everything I am looking for in a camera. I am going with the Ikelite housing so I can use wet lenses later and it has a hot-seat for the strobe. The strobe I am most interested in is the Inon. I think it has a lot of potential for growth into whatever camera I end up with after the g9. I'm thinking Dslr someday. Check them out http://inonamerica.com/products.php
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

Any particular reasons about why you choose Inon? and which model?

Thanks,
G
Guanjin
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

I went with the Inon Z240 on an Ikelite housing- the Inon gets good reviews from lots of folks and as best I can tell is capable of putting out significantly more light than other strobes in that range.

I actually got mine on e-bay for a good price, and it showed up- with an English manual! While on my trip, another diver was talking and saying he was thinking of buying one on e-bay but had held off because of concerns it wasn't legitimate- he was looking at the same auction! Small world.

I like it. Fast recycle when it isn't fully discharged (and decent when it is), easy to change standard AA batteries, seems to do well with S-TTL mode. Offers lots of control.

From what I'm hearing from other folks, the Inon with fiberoptic cable to the G9 may be a *BETTER* fit with the Ikelite housing than an Ikelite strobe (based on initial reports) since the Canon G9 seems to have week support for external flashes.

I only got 3-4 days of diving (around 10-12 dives) with the housing, so my shots weren't great, but by the end of the trip I was starting to get in the groove and I have to say I like the Inon a great deal. Hopefully I'll get to compare it with one of my buddies Ikelite DS-125's sometime so I can give an apples-to-apples review.
-- Celeus
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

Thanks Celeus.

Sounds like this is the one I want. Did you get a fiber optic cable for it or just manually adjust it for now?
Guanjin
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

I use the Optical D/W9 set (here). It attaches nicely to the diffuser/blocker that the Ikelite comes with. I don't know if it fits to the canon diffuser.

You will also want some strobe arms. Everyone raves about ULCS, and I see why.
-- Celeus