Canon g9 advice

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Canon g9 advice

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Thanks all in advance for any input or suggestions.

I am considering a new UW camera, am somewhat constrained by budget (No Nikon 300 with 3rd party housing yet) and have heard some good talk about the Canon g9.

I see Canon makes its own UW housing. Has anyone used this yet? Reactions?

Also, how does it work with external flashes? I have a Sealife digital flash that I would love to use as a slave flash, if needed--or is the built-in flash with diffuser that comes with the Canon all we need up here in the PNW?

Is there a thread on this topic already started somewhere I can browse?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

i bought the G9 and the Canon housing a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to dive with it. I'm hoping to get out Thursday, and I'll post pics Thursday night.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

As I understand it the Inon has the more options than many of the lower end strobes on the market. It offers the ability to shoot it optically with a point and shoot, and it will fire electrically when you get a camera with a hotseat. It shoots TTl or as a slave. For me shooting TTl is appealing. The Inon is also very adjustable in regards to light levels. The D-2000 might be a good one to look at depending on your budget. http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

I have a Canon G9, the Ikelite housing, an Inon Z240 strobe (fiber optic connector) and ULCS arms. I got the housing/strobe just in time to take it to Turks+Caicos two weeks ago.

I've posted some info on my experiences with it up on Scubaboard in the "Initial impressions of Canon G9" thread.

Short and sweet- I like it, but the learning curve to get good shots with it is a bit larger than with other simpler point-and-shoots. I'm thinking the canon housing wouldn't be a bad idea for relatively shallow, lower effort shots.

Photos from the trip are here.

Not my favorite shots, but getting better as time went on.

I plan to post a trip report including the photography, my regulator failure (and resulting near-miss) etc. sometime in the next week or so.

Haven't dove the rig in the sound yet. Yet.
-- Celeus