3 tree Question

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TCWestby
Submariner

3 tree Question

Post by TCWestby »

My buddies and I are thinking of doing 3 tree for the first time next Saturday.

Can anyone give us advice on best time, tide wise? Since I'm not familliar with tides and currents in the south end... The tide chart is showing a pretty good exchange from after 6:00 AM to about noon low then a lesser incoming till about 6:00 PM

Anyone want to join us? We'd also be game for a second in the south end somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Three Tree can be dove any time, any tide.
If the current is strong you may have a little struggle if you go to the south {left} of the entry towards the point.
A great Dive there is to go straight out to 60 or 70 feet down the multiple tire piles, turn Right{North}
and continue untill you reach a turn pressure. Go up to 40 or 45 feet on the turn after you find the Golfball boat and trailer continueup to 20 or 15 feet ride the mild current back to the entry.
Makes for a long comfortable dive.

Just my 2 cents.

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Thanks Bassman, how is the Viz? We were at Bob's GM class Tuesday, which was great, at TL Sea and they had a film clip running that was shot in the summer. At Muk I don't get that kind of clarity in the winter....
Looking for dive buddies

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The TLSEA video (if it's the same as I saw) was shot on one of the most amazing viz days I've ever heard of in the South Sound. IT was easily 80' viz. The best viz I've ever personally experienced in the South Sound was 50-60', and that was at Three Tree. Alas, I have not been in the water lately, but 20' was pretty regular and sometimes more unless the rains have messed things up. It has pretty much the most consistently best viz of the South Sound sites I dive.... i.e. if it's 10' at Les Davis it will be 15+ at Three Tree... etc.

I'll give you a first hand report this afternoon as I'm going there in a vew hours!! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

If you want to meet about 8am Saturday morning I can give you the grand tour of 3 Tree. I wouldn't do it in the afternoon. There can be current on the larger tide exchanges.
Got Water?
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

JabberJaw,

If you mean Saturday the 9th we can be there. Unfortunately can't do it this weekend.

Sounds like the Viz is Mukilteo standard but it is fun anyhow. I look foreward to hitting some south end sites this year.
Looking for dive buddies

Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

I was talking about this Saturday. Purhaps I can do next Saturday with you. If anyone would like to do 3-Tree this Saturday around 8am let me know.

Greg
Got Water?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm... depending on a few other circumstances, I could probably have my arm twisted. I'll let you know when I find out...

TC - I can give you a dive plan that will show you the area in the event that I can't make it. You've definitely got to do two dives. Currents will be a bit of an issue, but not unreasonable.

I would do my first splash around 11am-11:30am and go to the south boat (if you want to know how to get there, shoot me a PM) & tire piles back the the entrance. Second dive go into the junkyard, poke around, and turn when you feel like you've seen enough (or at turn pressure), riding the current back. You'll most likely be head-into the current on your way out and with the current on your way back... if you find you're in the opposite situation (which I've been in too... it's weird), remember that you'll be swimming against current coming home.

PM me if you want details on the dive plan.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yeah the Vis at Three Tree is a crap shoot! I have not been as fourtunate as Tom Nic to dive it on an awsome vis day. I think it is on average 15 to 20 foot vis, but of course what I considder 20 foot might be 30 or 15 to someone else. I wonder, if I'm down 30 feet, and can see the surface water above, would I then call it 30 foot vis? And then there is always that whole magnification from the mask thing.
I think this could be a new thread of discussion.

I did it...

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=3803
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The best Puget Sound viz I've ever seen was at Three Tree -- I think it was the fall of 2006. I was there with Bob, and we were down at 75 feet, watching the ripples of sunlight dancing on the pebbles. The water was a cool, incredibly clear glass green, and the sea lettuce was brilliantly colored, even that deep. We also found a lot of neat things to look at, so it was an amazing dive. It's such a fantastic treat to hit one of those fabulous late summer viz days.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

BASSMAN wrote:Three Tree can be dove any time, any tide.
If the current is strong you may have a little struggle if you go to the south {left} of the entry towards the point.
Er...I did a dive at Three Tree where we ended up pulling ourselves along the bottom with our knives for about 10 minutes - it was the only way to make some headway against the current. We finally called the dive after 14 minutes, my shortest dive ever. :) I've done a couple of dives since then where current made for a very uncomfortable dive....I personally wouldn't pick this site on a day with a large exchange.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Penopolypants wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Three Tree can be dove any time, any tide.
Er...I did a dive at Three Tree where we ended up pulling ourselves along the bottom with our knives for about 10 minutes - it was the only way to make some headway against the current. We finally called the dive after 14 minutes, my shortest dive ever. :) I've done a couple of dives since then where current made for a very uncomfortable dive....I personally wouldn't pick this site on a day with a large exchange.
Interesting... I guess it underlines the importance of always checking the conditions at any dive site before you dive and being prepared to adjust your dive accordingly. I dove there a couple of months ago and there was actually a slight North flowing current... something I've never seen there.

I've never encountered a current remotely like you describe there in over 60 dives on the site (typically at least a couple times a month) on all exchange sizes, and I never consider the exchanges when I dive there. I have encountered some current, and adjusted my dive by going into the current then drifting back. My "knife dives" have typically happened at DIW type sites.

I do hear, however, that one should avoid going too far south (toward the point) because the current can pick up quite a bit the further South toward the point you get.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Also think about doing your second dive at Three tree it is well worth a second look a lot of times when I have driven up from Astoria to dive there
I have found my second dive was better then the first one was.
well worth it though
when I first started diving I really was not that excited to dive at three tree but is has become one of my favorite sites over the years.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Tom Nic wrote:
I've never encountered a current remotely like you describe there in over 60 dives on the site (typically at least a couple times a month) on all exchange sizes, and I never consider the exchanges when I dive there. I have encountered some current, and adjusted my dive by going into the current then drifting back. My "knife dives" have typically happened at DIW type sites.
Yeah, we were really surprised, I had always experienced some current there, but it was always manageable. The viz that day was stellar, though, easily 40' or more. I guess that's what happens when a ripping current is sweeping all the crud out. :)

A few months after that Diver_C wanted to go to TTN on a large exchange day. I was worried, but he too had never had issues about current there, so he convinced me that it was a fluke and that I should go. Huh. That wasn't quite a knife day, but it was close.

I guess you can call me Current Girl, I certainly seem to attract them. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Well, Anyone interested in Saturday at 3 tree? We are thinking of Trying for the early high tide about 5:00 AM. Anyone want to show us around?
Looking for dive buddies

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

5:00 am ?! :smt119
I'm still at work at that time.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Actually, being our first trip there I think we are at least looking at sunup so 7:00 - 7:30 ish.
Looking for dive buddies

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I might be able to one dive to give you the grand tour at 7:30 ish.
Not sure yet.
Even if I don't dive, I cand show up after work and meet you down there and give you the basic refrence points and general dive plans.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Any help would be appreciated, We are thinking of arriving and gearing up between 7:00 and 7:30, depending on how hare it is to find the site. NW Shore Dives has pretty good directions though.

If you decide to come call me on my cell, number is in my profile.
Looking for dive buddies

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay, I got your Number!
I'll let you know!