How do you aproximate amount of Vis?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

How do you aproximate amount of Vis?

Post by BASSMAN »

Brought this over from another thread talking about amount of vis at a particular dive site.

It all seems so relative. :dontknow:

20 foot of vis to me, might be 30 or 15 to someone else.

I mean, how can someone determin amount of vis on a night dive?
Wouldn't it depend on if he or she is diveing with a SL6 as a primary, HID Light Cannon or a Salvo 25 Watt {eyeball burner!!!}

In my log, if I'm logging a night dive, I do not specify amount of vis I just insert "Night Dive"

Could say the same for a Les Davis dive over 60 fsw too!

Just wondering dropping down to a certain depth and looking up to see surface definition. Could that be an accurate way of telling the amount of vis on a particular dive?

I remember doing a dive up in Sitka, where I was down 85 feet and could clearly see the bootom of the boat, as if I was at the deep end of a swimming pool.

That by far, has been the best Vis, I have seen.

I'm looking fwd to more input on this.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

You just need a powerfull enough light! Look and see how far away your light beam will illuminate the bottom, and estimate the distance. (It's pretty subjective, you're right.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I see folks referencing "Horizontal Viz".

I know that on amazing viz days I've seen the surface from 70 fsw, but Horizontal Viz was certainly not 70'.

It might be interesting to play with a tape sometime and check distances with a buddy.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I have wondered the same thing. To me the viz varies if the water is bright or dark, they have a different feel. A "bright" water feels like viz is 15 feet when the actual viz may be only 8ft. I have dove high mountain lakes where you could see the other side of the shore 300ft away...fun fun.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I usually look at my buddies or objects under the water and try to figure out how far away they are and how well I can see them. It's pretty much the SWAG method, but it works for me.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, I'm horribly inaccurate, I'm sure. I use a very subjective system . . . If I can see well enough to navigate without using my compass at all, the viz is at least 30 feet. If the viz is pretty good, but my buddy gets a little hazy if he's on the other side of the wreck or the pilings, it's in the 20 - 25 foot range.

If I start getting anxious about opening up any separation between us, it's about 10 feet. Below that come "keeping my nose on Jetty Way because if I'm three feet off the bottom, I can't see it," and "Lake Washington".
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I use a complicated formula of where by I drop down to a known depth and look up ant the surface to see how much detail I can discern from depth

then I look at a object or structure under water and try determine how far I am from that object . I know that I am 5" 7 and 1/2 inches tall so after swimming to the selected object careful to keep track of the number of my body lengths i had to swim to get there I average to two measurements out and

I Just GUESS \:D/

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

This makes me chuckle. Wylerbear and I are always widely differing in our respective viz estimations. :smt064 I generally try to estimate how many "Val Units" (ie, 5 feet plus fins) away from a fixed object I am when trying to estimate.

-Valerie
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I don't consider vertical viz so I'm only talking about horizontal. I know that 15' is kind of standard around here and I base everything else off that in a relative way.

If I can only comfortably see what is just ahead it's 10', if it's uncomfortable it's less than 10'. If it's greater than usual it's 20'-25'. If it's better than that it gets more subjective but whatever number I use it's still relative to some known distance.

This all applies to night diving as well as day diving. I'm not measuring how much light I can see but rather how far I can see with decent detail. A bright light doesn't increase viz for the most part unless the viz is just unlimited. Try using a powerful light on a poor viz night. All you will get is backscatter.
Last edited by gcbryan on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I lie. I mean, how the hell are you gonna know anyway? :dontknow: Unless you were there? On my last dive, vis was probably 15 feet at depth (70-95 fsw). It was considerably more visible closer in to shore (15-20 fsw).

Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Pez7378 wrote:I lie. I mean, how the hell are you gonna know anyway? :dontknow: Unless you were there? On my last dive, vis was probably 15 feet at depth (70-95 fsw). It was considerably more visible closer in to shore (15-20 fsw).

Lie your ass off dude. I got your back!! :rr:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

the second pic of you chris is awesome, true pnw diving :supz:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:the second pic of you chris is awesome, true pnw diving :supz:

Yeah- great pics! Only a real diver could appreciate those! :occasion5:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What does it say about me that I look at those pictures and say, "Yeah, NICE trim, streamlined rig, but what's with that SPG?"
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

LCF wrote:What does it say about me that I look at those pictures and say, "Yeah, NICE trim, streamlined rig, but what's with that SPG?"
just that you need more in water treatment and less land time :rr:

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:What does it say about me that I look at those pictures and say, "Yeah, NICE trim, streamlined rig, but what's with that SPG?"
You beat me to it - I was going to ask why his fin tips were so far up/vertical in the water in the first picture! :bootyshake:

I do really like the second picture... "diver in the mist... with a Salvo!" :supz:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

burntchef wrote:the second pic of you chris is awesome, true pnw diving
Not me, it's Joe. I took the picture though. They were both totally staged. Now I feel like a Fraud!! ](*,)

That my dear Lynne is a 31" hose that does not meet GUE specs!! I asked for a shorter hose and this was all that was available. So, I look at it as my way of "sticking it to the Man"!! But I do have to hold it up when I'm skimming the bottom. #-o
Sounder wrote:I was going to ask why his fin tips were so far up/vertical in the water in the first picture!

That was towards the end of a back stroke......Look how level I am! I noticed the same thing. I blame it on the photographer and his inability to let me get situated. But we had a fantastic dive and visibility was AWESOME..........Just ask us.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

keep stickin it to the man chris!! well not literally i think they frown on that. when are we getting those twins out for some salt?

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Burntchef wrote:keep stickin it to the man chris!! well not literally i think they frown on that. when are we getting those twins out for some salt?
As soon as I have my P-valve installed.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

let me know, im hoping to be in a new suit myself real soon. gotta love that tax return :salute:

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote: That was towards the end of a back stroke......Look how level I am! I noticed the same thing. I blame it on the photographer and his inability to let me get situated. But we had a fantastic dive and visibility was AWESOME..........Just ask us.
Don't let him fool you! His fins always look like that!

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

:dontknow:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm just glad there's no pictures of my pathetic trim around here.

On topic I just guess... :dontknow:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nwbrewer wrote:I'm just glad there's no pictures of my pathetic trim around here. :dontknow:
The visibility this day wasn't too bad. I'd say around 20 feet or so. :dontknow:

Image[/b]
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o