Indonesia, here we come ...

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Indonesia, here we come ...

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks for a wonderful editorial on Indonesia. My husband and I are considering going to Indonesia next spring. Is there anyplace that you would/should have gone that you didn't? Anything you would have done differently? If you could only go for 2 weeks, what would you cut out. We really don't know much about Indonesia (so thanks for the indepth report) so we're hoping to glean information from divers who've been.

Thanks for any additional infomation you might be willing to share....
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Octoloco wrote:Thanks for a wonderful editorial on Indonesia. My husband and I are considering going to Indonesia next spring. Is there anyplace that you would/should have gone that you didn't? Anything you would have done differently? If you could only go for 2 weeks, what would you cut out. We really don't know much about Indonesia (so thanks for the indepth report) so we're hoping to glean information from divers who've been.

Thanks for any additional infomation you might be willing to share....
There are so many places to go in Indonesia that are wonderful that it'd take many weeks to visit them all.

We really enjoyed Tulamben. It's shore diving, and the vis isn't as good there as other places we went (only about 50-60 feet most times), but the variety of the dives and the sheer amount of life made it a fantastic place to spend time. If I were to go to Bali for a week, I'd spend three days of diving here, and three days on the west coast ... Menjangen Island and Secret Bay. Mimpi Resorts has a lodge in both places, making it easy to book.

Komodo was special ... but really the only practical way to do it is by liveaboard. There are several liveaboards operating in that area. I can't really speak for the quality of any except the one we were on (which was excellent) ... and the Pelagian only goes there once per year, in transit from their winter "maintenance" home in Bali and their usual operating home in southeast Sulawesi.

Of the two north Sulawesi places we went, if I had it to do over again I'd cut out the Bunaken side of the trip and spend my entire week in Lembeh. There are some wonderful reefs to dive in Lembeh, but the major attraction is the muck diving ... which is in black sand and reasonably poor vis (30-40 feet, typically) ... but the creatures living in those places are some of the most amazing I've ever seen anywhere. When (not if) I return to Indonesia, Lembeh Straits is on my MUST SEE list of places to return to.

I worked with a local company out of Bali ... Aquamarine Diving ... who specializes in customized dive trips. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone who is considering a dive trip to Indonesia work with them, or with another local company. They just provide so much help and local knowledge that by the time you go you've anticipated and prepared for all the potential "gotchya's". It's also really nice (fantastic, really) to have someone meet you at the airport, help you get through customs smoothly, and provide transport to wherever you're going. I'm sure it saved us hours of hassles that tourists would normally have to endure.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

What a wealth information; I doubt I could have gotten more from a travel agent!! We've made contact with a dive company in Bali for a week on a "safari" which includes:

Day 1; airport pick up, overnight Sanur
Day 2: two dives Menjangan Island, overnight Pemuteran Day 3; three
dives Menjangan Island, overnight Tulamben Day 4; three dives Tulamben,
overnight Tulamben Day 5; three dives Tulamben, overnight Sanur Day 6;
three dives Nusa Penida, overnight Sanur Day 7; three dives Nusa Penida,
overnight Sanur Day 8; noon check-out, transfer to airport
Staying overnight at different hotels around the island.

I think I remember most of the names of the places in your report other than Nusa Penida?

We just started looking into Indonesia in the last couple of months, but really appreciate your report; it sounds like it's going to save me a whole lot of research.

Oh by the way, I love the photograhy, and what I really like is that I also have a Casio p&s.

Thanks again
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Octoloco wrote:What a wealth information; I doubt I could have gotten more from a travel agent!! We've made contact with a dive company in Bali for a week on a "safari" which includes:

Day 1; airport pick up, overnight Sanur
Day 2: two dives Menjangan Island, overnight Pemuteran Day 3; three
dives Menjangan Island, overnight Tulamben Day 4; three dives Tulamben,
overnight Tulamben Day 5; three dives Tulamben, overnight Sanur Day 6;
three dives Nusa Penida, overnight Sanur Day 7; three dives Nusa Penida,
overnight Sanur Day 8; noon check-out, transfer to airport
Staying overnight at different hotels around the island.

I think I remember most of the names of the places in your report other than Nusa Penida?

We just started looking into Indonesia in the last couple of months, but really appreciate your report; it sounds like it's going to save me a whole lot of research.

Oh by the way, I love the photograhy, and what I really like is that I also have a Casio p&s.

Thanks again
That looks a lot like the itinerary we did in 2001 ... except that we only did four days of diving (only one day at each location). You'll love it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks so much!!

We're talking of doing a 2-3 week trip so hopefully can schedule our time to get to all the areas.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy