Indonesia, here we come ...

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Indonesia, here we come ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cheng and I are joining another couple we often do dive trips with for a 3-week tour of Indonesia.

We'll be flying from Seattle to Taipei to Denpasar, Bali ... where we'll stay for three days and dive at Tulamben, in the northeast part of the island. Cheng and I have been to Tulamben before ... but we were very new divers back then ... we're looking forward to returning now that we actually know how to dive.

Tulamben is a great place to dive. There are three distinctly different sites there, all accessible (easily) from the beach. To the south is a wall, dropping down to depths well below anything I'd want to do. To the north is a WWII shipwreck ... the USS Liberty ... which ranges in depth from about 25 feet to about 120 feet. It's completely covered in the most beautiful corals I've ever seen. And directly out in front of the beach is a slope they refer to as the "Coral Gardens" ... aptly named.

After Tulamben, we fly out to a tiny island called Bimi, where we're boarding a liveaboard ... http://pelagian.wakatobi.com/pel_homepage.htm ... for a week of touring and diving the Komodo area. Then we fly back to Bali and on to Sulawesi for eight days.

Our first four days in Sulawesi will be in the Bunaken area ... on the northwest side of the island. Our second four days will be in the Lembeh Straits area ... on the northeast side of the island.

Finally, we'll head back to Bali for a couple days of sightseeing and offgassing before flying home.

We're leaving on March 8th, and returning on March 30th ... hope to have some stories and pictures to add here when we return ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

"Hope to have" some stories and pictures? Hah! I hope you're taking a laptop with an empty hard drive . . .

As you know, Peter and I had a ball in Bunaken and Lembeh. Although Bunaken is clearer water and more color, I enjoyed Lembeh even more. It's the kind of "go slow and spot the camouflaged critters" diving that Cove 2 prepares well for. And the critters are so outlandish and improbable (as well as sometimes quite beautiful). Be sure to do night dives -- LOTS of stuff comes out and cruises at night!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Have a great time Bob. I know you've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

we outta here ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Making one last swing thru cyber-space before heading out. The shuttle picks us up in a couple hours, and at 1:30 AM our plane leaves for Indonesia (via Taipei). I don't expect to be on the Internet for the next three weeks or so.

Y'all play safe ... catch ya on the flip side ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Indonesia, here we come ...

Post by cardiver »

Have a great time, Bob! Be safe and post lots of pics when you get home.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Have a great time, and please wish Cheng a happy birthday!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Be safe and have FUN! Happy Birthday Cheng! :occasion5:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Safe journey and diving.

Looking forward to the pics and report on your return.

[Ah, another dive trip I hope to make someday...]
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Got back in last evening, after a grueling 40-hour final day ... those time zone shifts are killer.

Anyway, had a great time ... 54 dives, nearly 59 hours of bottom time.

I'll write up a trip report and do a photo show when I get a chance. In the meantime, a couple "teasers" ...

From Bali ...

From Komodo ...

From Sulawesi ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome back! I can't wait to see the rest of the photos and report!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

welcome back, bob!!!
:hello2:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Welcome home! Can't wait to hear all about it . . . You're going to need to schedule a night for a dinner and slideshow, I think!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Welcome back Bob!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Welcome back Bob. While you were gone we all went diving in the snow and I don't think any of us managed 59 hours of bottom time. You definitely win this round. :prayer: Pictures look great. Glad you're back safe and sound. Rest up. We'll be here waiting for the full report and pictures when you're ready. =D>

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Welcome home!

-Valerie
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

GratefulDiver wrote:In the meantime, a couple "teasers" ...

WOW! Holy Moly! I can't wait to see more! Welcome home Bob and Cheng.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Got the photo show done ... the trip report's gonna take some more work.

It's kind've long ... had trouble paring it down to about 125 pictures. And for the first time, I really felt the limitations of a point-n-shoot camera. Some of the subjects are so small you'd have trouble seeing them with the naked eye, and others were big enough or distant enough that a strobe would've been more appropriate. But here ya go ... enjoy ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/UX2xw6in

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

absolutely amazing, bob! the variety of colors is just stunning!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

So, it appears that the only underwater species you didn't see was the Elusive, Trilam Clad PNW Diver! Fantastic photoshow Bob. =D>
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Beautiful! All those nudis and cuttlefish. And frogfish. And mantas. And seahorses. And...well, all of it, really.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Wow!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Awesome, Bob! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Grateful Diver wrote:...But here ya go ... enjoy ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/UX2xw6in

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, thank you for sharing. Amazing subjects, but the photography is equally pleasing. You've really outdone yourself. I bet a lot of those shots took a great deal of patience. For example, I love the Mandarin fish, and aren't they extremely difficult to observe? (Rarely expose themselves) Bravo!
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote: Bob, thank you for sharing. Amazing subjects, but the photography is equally pleasing. You've really outdone yourself. I bet a lot of those shots took a great deal of patience. For example, I love the Mandarin fish, and aren't they extremely difficult to observe? (Rarely expose themselves) Bravo!
-Ben
Yes, the mandarin dive involves long periods of time searching among the corals to find them ... then patiently waiting for them to rise out of the corals for their "mating dance". They apparently only do this at dusk, and you have to keep your light well shielded. The thing is this makes it difficult for your camera to focus on the subject, and the time lag between when you push the shutter button and when it takes the picture is longer than normal.

I used the "blind squirrel" approach ... took maybe 60 pictures and got a few that were in focus and with the subject still in the frame ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Welcome back, Bob. What a show. From Manta to Pygmy and everything in between. And with P&S camera. My compliments master Bob. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown