Digital Shootout 2008

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Digital Shootout 2008

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:You need a scooter. Creativity and art goes out the window - you simply stop caring and just enjoy the dive, and the ride!! I know I do. Course, I'm not doing the camera thing now so it is a natural mate. Then again the scooter can get you, and your camera, to places you couldn't otherwise access so perhaps your creativity would be enhanced?? Uugh... cameras just aren't for me. :dontknow:
i think there's a time and place for both. scooter diving looks fun as hell, zipping around pilings and such. and yes, it's good transport to get you to spots you wouldn't normally get to. but i also do enjoy going very slowly and looking at all of the details, and finding things i would normally pass right by.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:I've just never been one to feel the need to "document" the whole trip, every dive, every critter. Some people love doing JUST THAT, but I don't. I prefer to "enjoy the moment" and make a memory. If I were writing a book, or documenting the "whatever" for some reason, that'd be a different story, but then we're going on the dive for that purpose.
I have an ongoing internal fight with this. We've all done and seen things we can't even begin to describe. So we don't, and that's a shame. In some respects it's a lonely feeling - having only a memory... that will surely fade. A little documentation (a journal, a video, a still photo) can go a long way toward preserving/restoring the memory... and the excitement. I don't think anyone should live their life through a viewfinder, but I definitely think that if your experiences are your treasure you ought to take measures to preserve them (for yourself and others).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:
Sounder wrote:I've just never been one to feel the need to "document" the whole trip, every dive, every critter. Some people love doing JUST THAT, but I don't. I prefer to "enjoy the moment" and make a memory. If I were writing a book, or documenting the "whatever" for some reason, that'd be a different story, but then we're going on the dive for that purpose.
I have an ongoing internal fight with this. We've all done and seen things we can't even begin to describe. So we don't, and that's a shame. In some respects it's a lonely feeling - having only a memory... that will surely fade. A little documentation (a journal, a video, a still photo) can go a long way toward preserving/restoring the memory... and the excitement. I don't think anyone should live their life through a viewfinder, but I definitely think that if your experiences are your treasure you ought to take measures to preserve them (for yourself and others).

-Ben
...and THIS is why I enjoy diving WITH photogs!! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!