Hitler's Lost Fleet

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Hitler's Lost Fleet

Post by Joshua Smith »

Totally cool story about sunken U-Boats discovered in the Black Sea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... tviewedbox
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Cool. Has everybody read Shadow Divers, the story about the discovery and identification of a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey? I have to admire the guys who go do that stuff. If I was 30 years younger... I'd probably still be too chicken! Oh well, it's fun to explore vicariously through these other guys...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:Cool. Has everybody read Shadow Divers, the story about the discovery and identification of a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey? I have to admire the guys who go do that stuff. If I was 30 years younger... I'd probably still be too chicken! Oh well, it's fun to explore vicariously through these other guys...
i just finished that book. both fascinating and totally scary. a great read.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

If you can stomach a really tragic story, the other book about that sub, The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury focuses specifically on the Rouses, their background, how the father and son got into tech diving, and the events and causes that led to their sad deaths. Interspersed in that story is, for all intents, a history of diving in general and technical diving in particular. Chowdhury includes the story of his own mistake while diving the Andrea Doria and how fortunate he was not to get bent any worse than he did; probably because of that, the book in general has a very personal flavor to it. I lost count of the number of sleep hours I missed because I couldn't put it down.
Dave

--
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:If you can stomach a really tragic story, the other book about that sub, The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury focuses specifically on the Rouses, their background, how the father and son got into tech diving, and the events and causes that led to their sad deaths. Interspersed in that story is, for all intents, a history of diving in general and technical diving in particular. Chowdhury includes the story of his own mistake while diving the Andrea Doria and how fortunate he was not to get bent any worse than he did; probably because of that, the book in general has a very personal flavor to it. I lost count of the number of sleep hours I missed because I couldn't put it down.
sounds like a tough read, but worth it. i'll have to wait a while before i pick it up, though, since i need to make up for sleep lost reading Shadow Divers.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Currently reading "The Last Dive" - getting the history places a whole flavor on diving that you can see at the LDS, the attitudes are there, and the backgrounds behind some of the companies that supply our equipment. It has been very enlightening. I have a feeling I will need to read it again, lots of little things I have learned that make me love diving all the more so AND makes me hope that much more I will not become cocky.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves diving - it has real insight into the diving world.

Caveat is that in telling the story there is language that I would never have around myself, and some of the story is about things I would rather not hear about.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I read that book a few years ago and just recently gave it another read. It was deffinately worth reading again.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

smike wrote:Currently reading "The Last Dive" - getting the history places a whole flavor on diving that you can see at the LDS, the attitudes are there, and the backgrounds behind some of the companies that supply our equipment. It has been very enlightening. I have a feeling I will need to read it again, lots of little things I have learned that make me love diving all the more so AND makes me hope that much more I will not become cocky.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves diving - it has real insight into the diving world.

Caveat is that in telling the story there is language that I would never have around myself, and some of the story is about things I would rather not hear about.
Agreed, though the language thing has never really bothered me. It's worth the read just for the history, but the instructive story of Chris and Chrissy can be a major wake-up call, as well. And there's so much that I never realized about how our sport got to the point it is today. It made me that much more aware that this is a really exciting time to be a diver!

While we're on the subject of books, I can also recommend Diving On The Edge: A Unique Guide for New Divers by Michael Bane. Although it says it's for new divers, any diver can benefit from it, In My Totally Unhumble Opinion :laughing3: It includes a whole section called "What The Other Guys Won't Tell You," just as an example. He goes into detail about things like the difference between a "safe" sport and a "risk" sport, how long you can expect your wetsuit to last, having a plan for your diving career, and a host of other topics the mainstream books don't cover. Its self-designation "unique" is well deserved, and that's a Good Thing.

It's funny, I came across both that one and Last Dive by accident, browsing in the diving section of my local public library, and those two have enriched me far beyond what any of the others have.
Dave

--
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Hitler's Lost Fleet

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:Totally cool story about sunken U-Boats discovered in the Black Sea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... tviewedbox
That's a great article about a fascinating aspect of WWII that most people have no idea about...U-Boats hauled overland across Europe to the Black Sea! "Who would've thunk it?!!!"

Two of them are at diving depths - one within recreational limits and the other within easy technical reach. I wonder if the Turks will eventually allow divers to visit the wrecks....I'd LOVE to do so!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:Two of them are at diving depths - one within recreational limits and the other within easy technical reach. I wonder if the Turks will eventually allow divers to visit the wrecks....I'd LOVE to do so!

- John
My thoughts, exactly.....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

John Rawlings wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Totally cool story about sunken U-Boats discovered in the Black Sea:
I wonder if the Turks will eventually allow divers to visit the wrecks....I'd LOVE to do so!

- John
Yah Yah, if they do allow divers, I am in!
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

mattwave wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:
I wonder if the Turks will eventually allow divers to visit the wrecks....I'd LOVE to do so!

- John
Yah Yah, if they do allow divers, I am in!
Me too! Let's make a trip of it. Plan it far enough in advance and I'll even buy a rebreather! I couldn't see travelling all that way just for a few 30-60 min. dives!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:
Me too! Let's make a trip of it. Plan it far enough in advance and I'll even buy a rebreather! I couldn't see travelling all that way just for a few 30-60 min. dives!

Come over to the Dark Side! We have great parties!