New "?" Regarding SSI and PADI

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Josh
Just Settling In

New "?" Regarding SSI and PADI

Post by Josh »

Alright, quick thx, to everyone that responded to my last post. From the sounds of it, if I want to move some place that is tropical for a scuba job as an instructor or a dive master, I'll have to switch from SSI to PADI. Now I already have my certification and advance course finished and also currently signed up for a stress and rescue class through SSI. If I start training PADI, would I have to start from scratch.. or can I use the SSI as a stepping stone..?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Nope. Finish the Rescue course and take a PADI Dm course. Not a problem.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The "Big Three" agencies tend to recognize each other's C-cards. I got my OW and AOW through PADI and that was all I needed to do my Rescue and beyond with NAUI. Now, I'm liable to have a problem when I get back to Boise with my NAUI instructor credentials, because both shops there are PADI, but I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it. From what I gather, to cross over and be a PADI instructor I just have to take an exam. If that info is incorrect, I'll soon know :pale:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

dwashbur wrote: From what I gather, to cross over and be a PADI instructor I just have to take an exam. If that info is incorrect, I'll soon know :pale:
I'm not sure about crossing over, but having recently done the PADI Instructor Exam I can say it's much more than an exam. You have to do the Instructor Development Class (IDC) which is 5 full days with pool and OW work as well as academics. Succesful completion gives you permission to go on the Instructor Exam, which is 2 days of written tests, presentations, pool and OW work. I think for crossing over you have to do the full IDC as well as IE.

-Valerie
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Seems like you have to do at least 2 days of the IDC - The first 3 days are basically the AI course. Then you have to do the complete IE.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Just Settling In

Post by Josh »

Dmitchell wrote:Nope. Finish the Rescue course and take a PADI Dm course. Not a problem.

Dave
Fantastic, sounds like a plan
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

dwashbur wrote:Now, I'm liable to have a problem when I get back to Boise with my NAUI instructor credentials, because both shops there are PADI, but I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.
You could always convert them! =D>

-Ben
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The PADI IDC is actually 7-8 days. It is 2 parts. The first half is the Assistant instructor course, typically 3-4 days. The last part is the OWSI portion, and it is 4 days. Per PADI standards, it is a minimum of 7 days.

As an instructor from another agency, you would have to only complete the OWSI portion, and take the theory and standards exam. Then, you would take the IE. A divemaster/dive con from any of the major agencies can take the PADI IDC, but they must complete the PADI divemaster rescue assessment.

Sorry if I sound like the instructor manual. I leave for IDC staff training next week...actually it is in Boise. I have been studying like crazy and it is making me sound like a drone. :book:
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I love NAUI. :rr:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:I love NAUI. :rr:

:supz:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Pez7378 wrote:
Sounder wrote:I love NAUI. :rr:

:supz:
Me 3.