Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Post by spatman »

another thread was hijacked and a discussion came up about trying to get a club dive together, maybe with a big buddy theme to it.

some ideas thrown around were:
march 22nd? a weekend?
les davis? redondo? other non- current sensitive site?

c'mon, everyone! what's your ideas for a club dive?

CLUB DIVE! :bounce: CLUB DIVE! :bounce: CLUB DIVE! :bounce:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:another thread was hijacked and a discussion came up about trying to get a club dive together, maybe with a big buddy theme to it.

some ideas thrown around were:
march 22nd? a weekend?
les davis? redondo? other non- current sensitive site?

c'mon, everyone! what's your ideas for a club dive?

CLUB DIVE! :bounce: CLUB DIVE! :bounce: CLUB DIVE! :bounce:
Let's get this Party Started!

:wav:

There has been some discussion of a "Big Buddy/Club Dive" sometime in the near future. Many people are hoping for a weekend so that they can participate. Now is your chance to offer suggestions of When and Where you would like to have the next event. Hopefully we can get a number of people to commit so we can pair up some of the more experienced divers with some of the less experienced divers. So come on everyone, tell us what you want! As of right now, the suggested date is SATURDAY March 22nd. That gives everyone ample time to clear their schedules, and fill their cylinders. So, offer up your suggestions, and indicate if you are an experienced diver or a beginning diver, and let us do the rest. Stay tuned, and we'll let you know once and for all when and where. Then all you gotta do is show up and DIVE!!

(I'm not sure Matt, but I think we just volunteered to organize!) #-o
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

I'm in!!!!
Fortes fortuna iuvat
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:(I'm not sure Matt, but I think we just volunteered to organize!) #-o
d'oh!

but really, i'm happy to help! keep 'em coming, folks!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BUZO71 wrote:I'm in!!!!
sweet, buz! maybe we can figure out a carpool/caravan for us oregonians. are you a big buddy or a little one?

i'm a little buddy, fo sho.

pez? you're a big buddy, i assume?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

It depends on who you talk to! I'll dive with anyone.......Once! #-o (damnit, where's that Joking emoticon?) :evil4:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm in! I prefer Redondo over Les Davis, but I prefer "diving" over "not diving", so I'm good wherever.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I'd love to be involved, but I'll be in a place called "Las Vegas" that weekend.

Next time, and I guess I would be a big buddy at this point. Scary.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I won't be able to make it ... March 22nd is Cheng's birthday ... we'll be celebrating it in Indonesia.

Y'all have fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I can most likely make it and am happy to be big buddy.

...also, just because you don't fit the "little buddy" profile and don't fit the "big buddy" profile, doesn't mean you shouldn't come out! All the other folks are just "buddies" and the more people who come, the merrier.

Whether you consider yourself a "little buddy" or not, this idea is to put people who want to learn something with someone who's experienced and willing to take them under-wing.

And yes Doug (Steding), I'd consider you a big buddy.

My vote would be for Redondo.
Last edited by Sounder on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dsteding wrote:I'd love to be involved, but I'll be in a place called "Las Vegas" that weekend.
Grateful Diver wrote:I won't be able to make it ... March 22nd is Cheng's birthday ... we'll be celebrating it in Indonesia.

is there an alternate date you guys would like to suggest? it's still early in the planning process...
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

spatman wrote:
dsteding wrote:I'd love to be involved, but I'll be in a place called "Las Vegas" that weekend.
Grateful Diver wrote:I won't be able to make it ... March 22nd is Cheng's birthday ... we'll be celebrating it in Indonesia.

is there an alternate date you guys would like to suggest? it's still early in the planning process...
The following weekend or April, but I'd say get this one going and start scheduling these on a semi-regular basis. Even weekday dives in the evening work once we get enough daylight. If someone takes the lead, I'm happy to participate-and I know that others will be as well. I met some of my favorite dive buddies a couple hundred dives ago at events like these.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

OK! Back at the computer and caffeine's starting to kick in. Can we do a club dive sooner than the end of March, start of April? I think the big buddy dive is a good thing to take our time planning, and I think it would be great if it could wait until our gill-having big buddies are around and available. But it would be cool to have a less formal thing with some of the folks around here before that.

Sooo....What about President's Day weekend? I would like to go someplace relatively familiar to me, as I have a new tank and new dry gloves to test out, and the three places I've been are Cove 2, EUWP, and Mukilteo. Anybody want to make it a club dive? This far in advance also allows me to make the necessary transportation arrangements.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

As I said in the other thread, if my work schedule doesn't have me working on March 22nd, I'd be delighted to show up and be a "Big Buddy".

I think the characteristics of the site have to be: Preferably not current sensitive (or a weekend with a flat exchange). Ample parking. Easy navigation/no hazards. And having someplace to have a barbecue afterwards would be good, too. Les Davis fits the bill, unless we've had heavy rain beforehand and the viz has gone to pudding. It's not my favorite site, but like Cove 2, it's a good one for novices.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i think Redondo allows BBQs as well, and there's a big parking lot and street parking too.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Okay, let's just plan on doing Redondo!

I can bring two grills, charcoal, spatulas and tongs, a table and and a popup canopy if the weather is yucky. I make a pretty mean potato salad too.

You bring something to grill.

Who wants to bring paper plates and forks 'n stuff?

Condiments? Buns?

Hm...It's lunch time, can you tell I'm hungry? :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that works for me! what time should we all meet up?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I would suggest meeting at 9am or 10am so Portland folks don't have to get up too much before the sun.

It'd probably work best to do 2 dives and then have a late lunch. Most people who have done 2 dives are hungry and are happy to strip out of gear to eat lunch in comfy warm clothes.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I would suggest meeting at 9am or 10am so Portland folks don't have to get up too much before the sun.

It'd probably work best to do 2 dives and then have a late lunch. Most people who have done 2 dives are hungry and are happy to strip out of gear to eat lunch in comfy warm clothes.
should we say that first splash at 10am-ish?
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I may be able to make it but that far south I'd play little buddy. My other 2 regulars might be interested too so keep me informed.We have been wanting to try some south end sites.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

Are any of the local shops doing an OW class at Redondo on the 22nd???

Not sure if I can make it but if I can.. willing to be a big buddy.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:

So far it seems we are still in the planning phases for the "Big Buddy" Dive. I think there are some plans being made for a "Club" Dive and to be quite honest, I'd love to see these organized every week, regardless of who shows up. That way if people decide they WANT to participate, they will know when, and where. The "Big Buddy" Dives could be organized once a month allowing some of the more timid NooB's to plan on attending. At any rate, however we set it up, there will always be someone diving at a prescribed location at a prescribed time and anyone is welcome to join if they wish. I remember when I was relatively new to diving and I lacked the confidence to just show up for a dive with people I didn't know. If that is YOU, these are the types of dives that are designed JUST FOR YOU! So follow these posts and once plans are set, just show up and introduce yourselves. We are all more than happy to dive with you and "show you the ropes".

and BTW, I'm in for the Pres. Day Weekend dive. Scott, just say when and where. I'll buy the first round!!!! \:D/ :partyman: (now if THAT doesn't garner some interest, nothing will!)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'll keep reading the threads, but as far as a weekend thing, I'm not able to make any plans unless I'm on Vacation. Or I can do some trade days.
If I make it, I could be a "Big Buddy" to some and a "Little Buddy" to others.

[-X Doug? I'm not saying, "I swing both ways!" Just In case your thinking of posting a comment of that nature. [-X
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:So far it seems we are still in the planning phases for the "Big Buddy" Dive. I think there are some plans being made for a "Club" Dive and to be quite honest, I'd love to see these organized every week, regardless of who shows up. That way if people decide they WANT to participate, they will know when, and where. The "Big Buddy" Dives could be organized once a month allowing some of the more timid NooB's to plan on attending.
well, i think this dive could be considered a "Club Dive" as well. if folks want to show up just to dive, that's totally cool. no one has to be paired with a big/little buddy if they don't want to.

i'm looking for to this and all other club dives i can make it to!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Hey, Keith. We'll have to plan a Tuesday dive club dive for those of us who work on the weekends!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY