Underwater Sports Diver's Fair

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Underwater Sports Diver's Fair

Post by JDelage »

Who's going? Everyone? :)

I think it's going to be my opportunity to buy pretty much everything... I'm busy reading all I can on gear...

Could anyone tell me if it's important to be there on Friday, or whether I'll have the same selection on Saturday?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I was there on Sunday last year, and a lot of stuff was allready sold out. I'll be there as early as I can manage on Friday. :supz:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Friday!

Post by Pez7378 »

Me Too!! \:D/ \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Me Three!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'll be there Friday morning before heading out of town for the weekend. I wrote an article about this year's Divers Fair, if you're interested.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

Yep, read it. In fact, I'm reading much of your blog...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Heya Newbie Divers, I will be going to the Diver's Fair this Friday morning. If y'all want to have a bonafide Gear Whore to help you along in choosing gear to get started let me know (or just show up) and I will help to answer any questions you might have. Sorry, but I'll be going out of town that evening so Friday is the only time I can be around to help. It'll be a zoo there and I already talked to Dougie Fresh about having some time for us NWDC folks.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

Calvin - what time do you expect to be there? I think I could use a gear whore...

:supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hahaha, spoken like a true John. I'll be there around 9:30 or so \:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just make sure you still have all the gear that Calvin "helped you pick out" when you get back to your car!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I think Tim needs a gear sherpa as well.
What time are you going to be there? Are you hanging around all day and how much are they paying you...
:)
K
"Let's go diving!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hey, I said 'gear whore' nothing about being a sherpa! That crap is heavy and it'll be hot as hell out probably #-o

I'm going to be there around 9-9:30. They're not paying me anything, but I can simplify things for a couple of friends who just got certified instead of going back and forth with the dive shop to get them set up I can have all the options there for them at once and hopefully someone will make out like a bandit (Patrick and I did last year).

I'll likely just be looking for odds and ends for myself, but I have been known to make the occasional impulse buy :pale:

I'll only be there for an hour or two, since I have to work that day.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I sure hope everyone from here remembers to wear thier Club shirts at the divers fair! \:D/

Calvin,
I don't have the funds to be buying a whole lot myself #-o but I will be meeting up with a friend,39Knuckle, ( who would benifit from your free services.)
I hope to introduce him to you. He has The Scuba Fever!

He is lookin to buy the whole package!!! =D>

I will be on the hunt for a Good, Used BCD if anyone is thinkin' of upgrading.
I would like to find a Zeagle or equivlent Back Wing/Bladder typ BCD.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Bassman, a new BCD is something I'll be out on the lookout for, but I don't think you'd fit my current one, size M/L SeaQuest Pro QD, unfortunately. I bought it at last year's diver's fair for a steal, because they had just released a new model and this was the last one of the previous models (the newer model just had the flexing backpad and a bit of a different look).

I'd be happy to help your buddy out. I know that they have an entire ScubaPro setup for under a grand that sounded pretty good for a beginner package if you're into ScubaPro.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin Tang wrote:Hahaha, spoken like a true John. I'll be there around 9:30 or so \:D/
"Like a true John"??????

I hope that is supposed to be complimentary in SOME manner! :bootyshake:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I didn't mean our John (as in you), I meant 'a John', as in what the prostitutes call their customers.

:pale:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin Tang wrote:I didn't mean our John (as in you), I meant 'a John', as in what the prostitutes call their customers.

:pale:
I see......THAT makes it MUCH better! #-o

Somehow we "Johns" end up being blamed for everything ! HA!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I thought you said you liked it when they called you "Daddy", Calvin?

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Oh ya I should mention, I need the "Big Boy" size, Large or XLarge.
or should I say, "The Normal Size?"

I'm afraid if I tried yours(Calvin) on, I would be "Fat Guy in a little Jacket..."

from the movie, "Tommy Boy?"

I'm no Chris Farley, but you are definetly a David Spade kind of guy!

LOL!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bassman - check out the Deep Sea Supply Torus 35. It's awesome and I'm ordering one. It WON'T be at the sale, but it's really worth considering. It dives like a dream... my 2psi.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounder wrote:Bassman - check out the Deep Sea Supply Torus 35. It's awesome and I'm ordering one. It WON'T be at the sale, but it's really worth considering. It dives like a dream... my 2psi.

That is still a bit Pricey for what Im looking for but I would like to see one
in action or try it before making a purchase like that.

Looks prety streamlined!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nailer you crack me up. And that shit eating grin on your avatar just adds to it. :la:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Im going to try and get up there on Sunday to try on a few drysuits and see if there is any good deals. Calvin if you see anything interesting on Friday while you are there let me know. I have to work all weekend otherwise I would run up there this morning.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Fun stuff. I got some good info from some of the reps and hopefully dispensed some semblance of good advice to a few friends. A bunch of us made it out:

Bassman, Tom Nic, Sounder, Sargent Pepper, Erik, Galen, Gerrol(sp?), Jeff Wannamaker, thelawgoddess(nice meeting you!), JDelage and I think I might be forgetting someone...

Anyways, the rest of your guys should check it out. I really liked the 4-way stretch neoprene gloves from Northern Diver (and they have a new dry suit out) and there is a pretty good deal on the Atomic B2. I saw the Apeks XTX200 but I honestly wasn't very impressed. The Oceanic VT3 looks Bling Bling :rr: ! Not too much new stuff out in terms of BCDs this year (which is the one thing I probably would've gotten). The Light and Motion video housing made me drool, as usual.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

Let's see - I bought booties, bio pro (?) fins with spring heels, big thick gloves (maybe I should get some thin neoprene gloves like Calvin's for warm waters...), UK C8 eLED, X-Vision Mares mask (fits awesome!), Scubapro Mk25 / S600 reg, Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus ($64! I hope it's not junk...), and a Pro QD BCD ($195!).

Spending money is fun!