Florida & Cancun

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Florida & Cancun

Post by smike »

I am taking the family to Orlando and Cancun, at the end of March.

I would like to snorkel (family) / dive (me) with Manatees, at Crystal River Springs. I have some websites for the Crystal Springs Manatee tours, does anyone have any experience / recommendations?

My 12 year old daughter would like to swim with dolphins in Cancun (we are thinking Puerto Adventuras). Any recommendations?

When I am in Cancun, I am planning (can only fit in one) day of diving either Puerto Adventuras or Playa de Carmen. Would like to fit in a cenote and a night dive. Do you know any dive shops you can recommend? Do you know how to get transportation from Cancun to Playa / Puerto Adventuras?

Boy I am looking forward to this trip!

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Dennis Weeks of Diablo Divers/Aquanauts enjoys an excellent reputation -- I believe Dan at NWSD took his cavern class from Dennis and liked him a lot. Dennis can do both your open water and cenote dives.

You can take a taxi from Cancun to Playa, or there is a bus (but I don't know much about that). Taxis aren't that expensive.

Have fun -- the cenotes are amazing!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Not sure about Florida but Yucatek divers out of Playa has a good reputation. http://www.yucatek-divers.com/ Yolanda the owner has always very been helpful in the past. Im thinking about a trip down sometime in Aug-Sept. Hope this helps
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Thank you for the recommendations.

Has anyone snorkeled with manatees?
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

No, can't help you with the manatee activities. When I'm in North Florida, I'm underground :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I think the manatee place is homosassa springs. They let you snorkel in the bay's entrance and access is restricted to the other areas to leave the manatees alone when they wish to be left alone. Having seen the captive dolphin area in Puerto Aventuras I don't think I would patronize them.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Florida & Cancun

Post by smike »

Well, so far I have planned:

March 29th
a 2 tank dive out of Daytona Beach, to a reef. Have NO idea what that will be like. It will be my first boat dive.

April 5th
2 tank dive out of Cancun, with Ben at MayanAquaDive, followed by 2 tank night dive too.

OK, this isn't Phillipines, or Indonesia.

BUT I'M STOKED!

Mike
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Florida & Cancun

Post by Dmitchell »

Go to crystal river for the manatees. The shop there at the best western will rent you a boat. If you have several people get a pontoon boat.

You have to watch a video about the manatees and boating in the area then you can head out. You idle around the area and can jump off and snorkel whenever you want. It's a small area but you can bring a cooler with lunch and make a nice day of it.

There are several locations where they congregate and you just hang out snorkeling. Sometimes they will come right up to you.

I was down there last March. My 5mm was not too much. The water was cool.

Dave
Dave Mitchell