Gas Management Seminar ???

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Zen Diver wrote:Works for me too; just put it on my schedule! I'll bring some snackies too.

Thanks Bob. :prayer:

-Valerie

Snackies? That seals it. Nailer LOVES snackies. I was on the fence about this one, 'till I heard there would be snackies! :bounce:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

well Im out cant do 7:00 pm on a friday I work till about 5:00 or a little after these days

ill have to waite for the AOW Class I guess

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sergeant Pepper wrote: and then later, maybe we can mosh. :smt035
I've got a 5 PM appt, and if I can be done in time, I'll be there! Rock n' Roll!! :supz: :smt035 :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I will be there!
Do I need to bring anything?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If I can get a reasonable head count, I can order pizza (I was planning to, actually).

What about beer or other drinks?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'll be there for sure!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

cool
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'll be there!
6:30 pm.
Pizza and some soda (Mountain Dew , Coke or whatever?)
Hey? What about some Iced Tea? or Lemonaid? Or lots of Ice Water!!!

Maybe we can have some Diet Coke And Mentos to demonstrate Gas Management or the lack of management.

Gotta go....I'm thirsty now!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'll bring a couple of two liter Sodas (For drinking)and $10.00 for Pizza.

I might even bring a package of Mentos.
Someone else can bring a bottle of Diet Coke
My Mentos your Diet Coke = An exsplosive relationship!

Of course, this is still pending Bob's approval to create a mess.

Bob?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I guess I'm just not onto this Diet Coke and Mentos thing ... wasn't planning on blowing anything up ... just want to talk about gas management.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounds good to me! Learning about the gas management is much more important.

Sounder, we should wait until we get together for a dive, and try it then.

I dont see how that could be done without making an incredible sticky mess, other than just doing it in the water!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Grateful Diver wrote:I guess I'm just not onto this Diet Coke and Mentos thing ... wasn't planning on blowing anything up ... just want to talk about gas management.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
mentos seem to cause the solubility of CO2 in coke to reduce dramatically and the CO2 rapidly comes out of solution.

i've been wondering if you could create a 2L coke bomb by emptying it half out, suspending a mentos from a string off the bottlecap and then tipping it over from a suitable distance...

we made 2L bottles explode at the astromony observatory in E wash by putting a little liquid nitrogen in them and capping them... the mentos bomb would be hella messier though...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

lamont wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:I guess I'm just not onto this Diet Coke and Mentos thing ... wasn't planning on blowing anything up ... just want to talk about gas management.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
mentos seem to cause the solubility of CO2 in coke to reduce dramatically and the CO2 rapidly comes out of solution.

i've been wondering if you could create a 2L coke bomb by emptying it half out, suspending a mentos from a string off the bottlecap and then tipping it over from a suitable distance...

we made 2L bottles explode at the astromony observatory in E wash by putting a little liquid nitrogen in them and capping them... the mentos bomb would be hella messier though...
Sounds more like a violent demonstration of Henry's Law than anything to do with gas management ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

As strange as it sounds, I just happened upon this topic. I'm definitely interested. I've got it on my calendar and I'll be trying to find someone to carpool with. Maciek?
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

I have several MRE heaters that make a very satisfying BOOM if you know what to do....you can make teargas if you add a little tabasco sauce :angryfire:
Navigator
Just Settling In

I'd like to attend. $10 for pizza!!!!!!

Post by Navigator »

I really never met any of yaaa personally.... but
can I come to the seminar??? can I ???? can I??? :bounce: Pleeeeessss :book:

Actually I've met some of you at Cove 2 the other Wednsday.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Everyone is welcome ... the address is posted earlier in this thread. PM me if you need directions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Shturman, good to see you here on the board. I'll be seeing you at the seminar, if not before! :hello2:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Sounder wrote:That is true... it could be quite a mess. #-o Seeing as how none of us know quite what is going to happen, perhaps we should wait until we're in an open area. It's not an explosion though, more of a Bellagio-style fountain of minty diet coke foam. \:D/
the 'stock' way of doing this is just a sticky foamy fountain. find a way to cap that and you should build up pressure until the container ruptures... =)
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I should be able to propel something quickly with this mento/cola engine... :book:
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

...this is a video taken at my barracks

take one MRE heater

add water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2tp9uJW ... ass%20boom
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

ArmyJeff

you should meet my son he is a Oregon natianl Gard down here in Astoria he is with the engenires at Camp Rialea thay are always blowing shit up too

you guys are not right you know that?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

sparky wrote:ArmyJeff

you should meet my son he is a Oregon natianl Gard down here in Astoria he is with the engenires at Camp Rialea thay are always blowing shit up too

you guys are not right you know that?

Sparky

I do not condone the actions of my fellow soldiers......I just laugh at their expense. :supz:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dang, we stuck an office trashcan over a 2L bottle and when it exploded it completely peeled back the trashcan and split all its seams... lot of energy in that plastic bottle when it goes actually... i personally wouldn't put anything like that on my chest...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Don't mean to be rude here ... but perhaps you guys should start your own Mentos and Coke thread.

This one was supposed to be about my Gas Management Seminar, and I'd like to not bury that topic with a thread hijack.

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)