Scootering Alki Reef

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Scootering Alki Reef

Post by BDub »

Lundy, Jeanna, and I made a run to Alki Reef yesterday. None of had done it from shore on scoots before, and we all had been wanting to, and what a great morning for a dive!

After getting some headings and info from Steding and Richard we gave it a try. Man, what a fantastic scooter dive! We were on the trigger solid for 16 minutes, cruising over sand, lot's of sea pens, and eelgrass before we hit the reef.

Scott wanted to get some pictures of scooter divers with his wide angle lens, and Jeanna was taking video. Once we got there, Scott and Jeanna clipped off, which meant I had to ham it up for the cameras, which I was happy to do ;)

It had been at least 3 years since I'd done Alki Reef and I forgot how much I like that dive. For those who haven't done it, it's a bunch of very large piles of boulders....lot's of plumose anemones, lings, greenlings and rockfish.

We had planned to turn on thirds (max depth was 60') or 40 minutes (to ensure we had enough juice in the scooters) for the haul back. At 38 minutes we left for the return trip home. Coming back in, we played around, doing barrel rolls and such...Jeanna pulled a tight turn right to do a quick 360 and came face to face with a seal that had apparently been following behind! We continued in, in about 8' of water before surfacing. While we didn't see the seal underwater after Jeanna saw him, he was right there with us when we surfaced.

A fantastic dive and a perfect scooter dive. Too far to surface swim and we don't have to pay for a boat dive (let's not talk about how much the scooters cost).

Video posted on Youtube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfT9yIcXOM

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Scootering Alki Reef

Post by dsteding »

That really is one of my favorite scooter dives in the PNW. Convenient, easy to do after work, no need for doubles, and always fantastic life and scenery.

Looks like the vis wasn't too bad.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

But not too far for UW swim *grin* albeit a loooooooooooooong one :)
BDub wrote:
A fantastic dive and a perfect scooter dive. Too far to surface swim and we don't have to pay for a boat dive (let's not talk about how much the scooters cost).

Video posted on Youtube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfT9yIcXOM

Brian
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

ljjames wrote:But not too far for UW swim *grin* albeit a loooooooooooooong one :)
Yeah, you told me you've done that. No thanks. It is a third of a mile from the bulkhead to the reef . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

ljjames wrote:But not too far for UW swim *grin* albeit a loooooooooooooong one :)
Holy cow, that's a swim. Where'd you enter/exit at, the buklhead?

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I really want to go back and do that dive in the day time -- the only time I've done it was at night. And I want to do it with somebody who will clip off the scooter and kick dive the actual site, too! It looked like a prime place to find a lot of critters, but we flashed past them :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:I really want to go back and do that dive in the day time -- the only time I've done it was at night. And I want to do it with somebody who will clip off the scooter and kick dive the actual site, too! It looked like a prime place to find a lot of critters, but we flashed past them :-)
\:D/ :bounce: :partyman:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

LCF wrote:I really want to go back and do that dive in the day time -- the only time I've done it was at night. And I want to do it with somebody who will clip off the scooter and kick dive the actual site, too! It looked like a prime place to find a lot of critters, but we flashed past them :-)
It is a perfect spot for scootering, clipping off, and kicking. I spent most of my dive on the trigger, but next time I think we'll just scooter out to it and clip off and take it slow when we get threre.

Doug, vis wasn't bad at all....maybe 20'.

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:
LCF wrote:
It is a perfect spot for scootering, clipping off, and kicking. I spent most of my dive on the trigger, but next time I think we'll just scooter out to it and clip off and take it slow when we get threre.

Doug, vis wasn't bad at all....maybe 20'.
I came off the trigger for a few minutes with Bones the last time I was out there. Problem is, it is so damn fun to zoom around those rock piles.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I know where you can find a dive buddy when you're ready to do that .. \:D/

I'd love to do it again ... exactly as you describe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

BDub wrote:
Holy cow, that's a swim. Where'd you enter/exit at, the buklhead?
Hmmm... sounds like a good exercise dive......
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Blitz wrote:Hmmm... sounds like a good exercise dive......
Not for you....you'd still have a bit of a surface swim ;)

Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

BDub wrote:
Blitz wrote:Hmmm... sounds like a good exercise dive......
Not for you....you'd still have a bit of a surface swim ;)
I have doubles.......
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."