Crushed Neoprene or Trilaminate Dry Suit?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I believe what you're talking about is Compressed Neoprene, rather than Crushed (which is only offered from DUI, I think). I prefer the neoprene suits because they're generally more form-fitting, which allows for both less drag and more even dispersal of air in your suit.

Trilam suits don't stretch and so have to be cut more loosely, though they're easier to deal with on the surface (getting in and out, drying, etc.) and allow for more undergarments in general despite having little or no inherent thermal protection themselves.

It is an age old consideration where there is no right answer, it's just a matter of preference. You may want to ask Nailer about his recent experience with a shell suit though and Maciek about buying a compressed neoprene one. They both are new to dry suits and can probably offer some fresh insights.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It totally depends on the suit. My O'Neill is very hard to get in and out of, like a wet suit (it's very tight fitting), but my DUI is as easy as any trilam (but it is custom fit).
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm liking my trilam USIA quite a bit, now, after some difficulties at first. What I thought was terrible drag caused by the suit was really me having a bad time with a new set of fins- went back to my old fins, and the problem was solved.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i checked out their website. (as i too am in need of an affordable drysuit.) it looks like they have pretty nice-looking suits. their neoprene suit has a huge front diagonal zipper, so i don't think it'll be much more difficult to put on than the trilam (if at all). one of my concerns with getting neoprene would be with durability - something neoprene is not known to be especially great with. (it doesn't like sun or heat and eventually stretches out and gets "used" over time - though i don't know how compressed neoprene compares in those areas.) i also get very cold very easily (and am cold almost all of the time), and personally i think the layering capabilities of the trilam will make that suit go a lot more places than a neoprene suit will. i have visions of wearing my down jacket underneath when it's really cold out. :-) but i think in that same vein, it will also be more useful in "hotter" waters because you can lose all of the insulation and still be comfortably dry, whereas at some point the neoprene just might be too hot. i could be totally wrong since i've never actually used any drysuit, but those are some of the things that are leading me to pursue a trilam suit for myself.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

now that's service! :supz:
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

LG, I wouldn't write off the neoprene suits so quickly. They do offer inherent insulation and I would also consider that with all the layers of insulation you're talking about (such as a down jacket) you will have one heck of a time controlling your buoyancy. When you shift one direction all the air will rush to one side of your suit, etc.

I have had many buddies get drysuits in the past year. None of them have been unhappy with the neoprene ones (mostly the Apollo) but a handful have had many problems with the shell suits (notably, all three with the USIA). I am of the opinion that you really can't go wrong with an Apollo, both in terms of performance and also for the money. I've never owned one, but I've seen many smiles from people who do!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i haven't TOTALLY written them off; just certainly leaning away from them. and i wasn't really planning to wear my down jacket - that was just meant to evoke some humor. but ... as for the bubble ... i hopefully won't have to contend with that much air in my drysuit! #-o

i do have to admit that those apollo suits look comfy, though. :-)
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

When buying a drysuit, consider the kind of diving you are going to do, how much flexibility you want, customer service and warmth.

At some point all drysuits will leak and you will bust a seal. How fast and easy it gets fixed makes a huge different. Ask your retailer what to do in those situations. Customer service is a big deal when you are dropping $$$ for a drysuit.

In the summer and when I am teaching classes, I love my Seasoft compressed neoprene suit. It is really nice right now because I wear shorts and a tee with it...no undergarment. It fits me perfect and the nice thing about it, if I have problems, I take it to the wearhouse in Auburn and they fix it for me. If you are considering a neoprene suit of any kind, I would recommend neoprene seals as well. They don't rip and they keep you warmer on the wrists and especially the neck. Besides Seasoft, Bare and High Tide suits use neoprene seals. If you do leak, the suit will insolate you and you stay warm and you can finish your dive.

If I am diving in the winter or doing deep diving, I use my DUI. It has crushed neoprene on my legs and trilam top. It also has dry gloves which also keeps me warmer. I can put my heavier undergarment in it if necessary. It takes me longer to get into it because of the rock boots and it is too warm for shallow summer diving in Puget Sound. If I break a latex seal...no problem! I have zipseals and fixing is a snap. I did have a leaking valve a few months ago. The suit was under warrenty and DUI fixed it and I had it back in less than 2 weeks. I also dropped some serious $$$ on this suit but because I teach, it was necessary.

Finally, you get what you pay for. The cheap suits I have owned have not held up to expectations. Again, I dive 3-4 days a week year round so I am tougher than most people on suits.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

thanks, pinkpadigal! it's always helpful to hear someone's experiences with different kinds of suits, the reasoning behind their preferences, and what they see as the possible benefits and drawbacks to them. this type of information is really appreciated by someone like me - who's only exposure experience has been with a variety of wetsuits. actually, there was a friend's drysuit that i wore sailing once on a windy february day - when i learned first-hand how useless and dangerous they are when they don't fit properly ... but i try to forget that ever happened. ;-)
my FLICKR photo sets