Regs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Regs

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, everone: Tell me what kind of reg I should be looking at next. I have a Scubapro MK 25 as my primary, and I have no complaints, but: I'm going to be setting up a pony soon, and will need another reg for it. Should I get another MK 25 and keep them both the same? Should I get an even nicer one? I like Calvin's Atomic a lot, maybe I could use one of those for my primary and put the MK 25 on my Pony. What would you do if you were me?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I loved my Mk25/S600 for years, but there's a reason why I have 4 atomic regs now :supz: (M1, B2, Z2 and SS1).

You should also look into Apeks and Poseidon.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Regs for ponys and buying gear twice...

Post by Scubak »

Buy a set up for your pony similiar to what you have now. Preferably a high performance, high end regulator...that way when and if you decide to dive twins then you have the second reg right there and dont have to buy again...
Of course if you want to get a middle of the road reg for the pony, then by all means. But, if that is going to be used in an "emergency" or later on a sling bottle you want to make sure it is going to work when you need it to.
My rule is to think about the purchase and where I can take it during my diving...I hate having to buy something twice or three times and we all know the resell price of stuff isn't very good.
Just my 02PSI..
K
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

hey Nailer :

what sise pony did you get? I am realy thinking about getting one and was wondering make sure you let me know how you like praticeing your drillls with it

and what type of bracket did you decide on or will this just be a slung pony Bottle?

hope to see you againe in a week or so I am realy needing to get wet
but cant pass up on the over time so its a trade off see you soon

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sparky- just ordered these brackets from Reef Scuba. I ordered the "Super Pony Tamer". John Rawlings showed them to me-he has a set for his argon bottle, and it makes switching from tank to tank a breeze- very slick! I'll be using a 30 cf pony I bought from Diver Down.

And thanks, Calvin and K- I agree. I seem to have a deadly taste for high-end scuba gear; and I see no logic in using a low end reg for anypart of one's config. I have the alpha-8 octo, and after using the MK-25 as my primary, I finally used the alpha-8 the other day, just to see if it actually worked- it does, but there's defenitely a performance drop. I want to replace it as well.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I suppose I should get you that pony soon!! Man Ive been busy!! If I dont see you this weekend I will take it to UWsports and have them send it to seattle. You can pick it up there on tues.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

You can buy a scuba pro mk/15 first stage with a r190 second. The mk15 is supposed to be a pretty good reg at a decent price. You should get a good deal at divers fair..
Who run barter town?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

That's a great pony bracket. I use them for both my argon and pony tank since I started useing them. Fast and easy. With my tanks upside the valves are within reach under water and if I ever need to get out of my bc and head to the surface, all I do is pull a pin and away I go. BTW, for those with pony's it is not a bad idea to practice this in shallow water. I do it several times a year just to keep the skills sharp.

When I decided to get a pony I bought the same 1st stage as I had. Both my 1st stages are SE 4's. Great breathers with a 1/2" primary lp port for your 2nd stage. Then I have a Micra adjust as my primary 2nd. I have a low profile US Divers octo and a Air Source safe second. This set up has worked now as is for 8 years for me and I love it.

Charles

PS: I went with the same 1st stage because I always have a back up for my 1st stage. When I go to warm water I carry my pony 1st stage as a back up.