DAN 02 Kits & Safety Sausages

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Here's what Mike's Hood Sport N Dive came back with:
The kit we have is made by Cramer Decker:

http://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/prod ... duct_id=34

It comes with a carry bag, mask, and regulator adjustable for flow rates between 0 and 15 liters per minute.

According to federal regulations, we will have to see a current certification indicating that the DAN O2 Provider course has been completed. If you or any of your members are interested in taking the course, please contact Don Kinney at Edmonds Technical Diving Services at 425-771-8820.

Retail Price is $375, and we can offer a discount on multiple purchases.
Thoughts?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm taking my Dan 02 course this month, and am very interested... just trying to figure out how to come up with the $$$! ](*,)
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

That's the one I bought from them. Love it and its very handy. Thank God I have never used it. What I love is it does not come with a huge Pelican case. Just the soft carry case with strap, mask and reg. I can't recall what the cu ft the bottle is.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Calvin Tang wrote:Here's what Mike's Hood Sport N Dive came back with:

It comes with a carry bag, mask, and regulator adjustable for flow rates between 0 and 15 liters per minute.

According to federal regulations, we will have to see a current certification indicating that the DAN O2 Provider course has been completed. If you or any of your members are interested in taking the course, please contact Don Kinney at Edmonds Technical Diving Services at 425-771-8820.

Thoughts?
Why contact Don Kinney? Valerie and I are both DAN instructors.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that if a few of you wanted to take a DAN O2 class together, one or both of us would probably offer it to you at a "club" price ... \:D/

BTW - Randy Williams also fills DAN O2 bottles ... he's located up near Northgate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin Tang wrote:Here's what Mike's Hood Sport N Dive came back with:

Thoughts?
Hmmmmm. My interest level is up!

What is the size of the tank? In my rather cursory look at the web site I didn't see that information. The tank looks rather small in the photo, but perhaps that is because I cannot visually compare it with the backpack size, which is unknown to me.

The DAN O2 kits come with Luxfer Jumbo D cylinders, which hold 623 liters or approximately 22 cf of O2. I'd be interested in knowing what size this tank is for comparison. Until we know that information we cannot fairly compare the two.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i would be interested in taking a dan o2 course. my prof. rescuer cpr/aed has lapsed and i've been meaning to refresh those as well ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote: Hmmmmm. My interest level is up!

What is the size of the tank? In my rather cursory look at the web site I didn't see that information. The tank looks rather small in the photo, but perhaps that is because I cannot visually compare it with the backpack size, which is unknown to me.

The DAN O2 kits come with Luxfer Jumbo D cylinders, which hold 623 liters or approximately 22 cf of O2. I'd be interested in knowing what size this tank is for comparison. Until we know that information we cannot fairly compare the two.

- John
John ... the M6 is a 6 CF cylinder ... same one that comes with the standard DAN O2 kit that most instructors carry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! "You Have my Attention Now!"
\:D/

How much! How much! :bounce: $$$$
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Grateful Diver wrote:In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that if a few of you wanted to take a DAN O2 class together, one or both of us would probably offer it to you at a "club" price ... \:D/

BTW - Randy Williams also fills DAN O2 bottles ... he's located up near Northgate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm down to do the class, Bob!

Well, I suppose the next thing to do is to figure out how many of us would buy one of these kits. I suggest going in on it with someone you dive with frequently (so for me, that'd probably be Nailer, for Tom Nic - Bassman, etc.). I know we as a group probably can't afford one kit per diver, but it's better than nothing to at least have one kit around, especially on our Wednesday club dives at Alki - where we're very likely to have one person around with one.

So, without further ado, please PM each other and decide who is getting what and then post here saying you're planning on getting one so I can go to them and say "we want ____ kits, what's the price?"

:salute:
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

For anyone who wants additional training beyond the basic DAN O2 class, I also teach Advanced O2, REMO2, AED, BLSPRO (professional level, 2-person CPR including children and infants, with additional skills not included in standard CPR classes), Hazardous Marine Life Injuries, Neuro Assessment and basic CPR/First Aid, in addition to a seperate Care of Children course.

The Advanced O2 and in field Neuro Assessment complement the basic O2 course extremely well. If anyone wanted to do more than the basic O2 we could definitely make a deal.

I think Bob also teaches the above classes; we could even co-teach to offer to a larger group if folks are interested.

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hmmm- yeah, I'd be very interested in the 02 training, plus the other stuff, Valerie. I've taken the EMT class twice, and been certified, but not licensed, twice- never actually worked, but I did some volunteer stuff in the Harborview ER- I'm very interested in Emergency Medicine, and now that I'm diving all the time, I feel like I ought to get some first responder training....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:
John Rawlings wrote: Hmmmmm. My interest level is up!

- John
John ... the M6 is a 6 CF cylinder ... same one that comes with the standard DAN O2 kit that most instructors carry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hmmmmm.....if so, I do not believe that DAN carries the M6 any longer. That's a tiny, tiny tank.....I use one as my Argon tank with my rebreather.

The DAN "Rescue Pak" uses the M9 cylinder, which holds almost 9 cf of Oxygen. If they used the M6 at one time I think that the M9 is the cylinder that they replaced the M6 with in their rescue kits:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catal ... -1020.html

I'd rather go for the Jumbo D cylinder. 22 cf of Oxygen lasts one heck of a lot longer than 6 cf....or even 9 cf, and you never know how quickly the EMTs will get there....or how long it will take you to them if you're on a boat. Having one of these (M6) at Cove 2 would probably be perfect.....having one on a boat in the San Juans or with you and your buddy all alone at 100 Foot Rock would probably be completely inadequate.

Here's a link to the Jumbo D cylinder I am referring to:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catal ... -1010.html

Of course, the prices for the M9 and Jumbo D tanks are FAR steeper than what is listed above. I need to ruminate on a 6 cf cylinder for a while.....that's pretty darn small and doesn't give you much time if you're not close to another source of O2.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I would definately be interested in the sausage if you make a group purchase of those. As for the O2 Kit, since I am primarily a boat diver I would rather have the larger O2 Bottle that John mentioned. 15 minutes vs. 40 minutes, I am seldom with 15 minutes of anything in the islands. If we can get a group rate on that count me in.

I would also be interested in the DAN O2 class. I had my EMT but let it expire so I am familiar with O2 application. Do I need the O2 class?

Mathue
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

The DAN covers O2 in diving specific applications, and utilizes the demand valve. I use O2 every day in my job too (ER Nurse) but not the demand valve, so I took the class and learned a few things too. Plus, it's a pre-requisite for the Advanced, REMO2, Neuro so it's good if you want to do other courses.

John, I have the Jumbo D too, and I got it because, as you said, you never know how long you might need to run it, and how many divers you might to be giving it to. I prefer more than less.

-Valerie
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Zen Diver wrote:For anyone who wants additional training beyond the basic DAN O2 class, I also teach Advanced O2, REMO2, AED, BLSPRO (professional level, 2-person CPR including children and infants, with additional skills not included in standard CPR classes), Hazardous Marine Life Injuries, Neuro Assessment and basic CPR/First Aid, in addition to a seperate Care of Children course.

The Advanced O2 and in field Neuro Assessment complement the basic O2 course extremely well. If anyone wanted to do more than the basic O2 we could definitely make a deal.

I think Bob also teaches the above classes; we could even co-teach to offer to a larger group if folks are interested.

-Valerie
I would also be interested in the courses. Ive taken my DAN 02 provider course a few years ago. But I think the course guidlines have changed a bit?? Any way If we could get a few people to take your course would you be willing to do a group rate??
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

DiverDown wrote:

I would also be interested in the courses. Ive taken my DAN 02 provider course a few years ago. But I think the course guidlines have changed a bit?? Any way If we could get a few people to take your course would you be willing to do a group rate??
Yep, absolutely. The basic O2 class needs to be done with 24 months for Advanced O2 class, within 12 months for Remo class.

Grateful Diver and I are working on co-teaching a class, we'll post details when we have them.

Thanks for all the excitement, you'll find the classes are interesting and loads of fun too.

-Valerie
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Another request for the DAN safety sausage kit from me.

Further training very good.

Where I sign up?
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

DAN O2 classes

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Would people be interested in combining the basic O2 class along with the Advanced O2 class? We could easily do them both at the same time, and for a reduced price. If that is the majority concensus I'll look at figuring out a date and venue, and from there post a sign up so we can get the books out to people.

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sure! Basic and advanced at one time sounds great!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Grateful Diver and I are meeting next week to discuss plans; we'll post as we get things firmed up.

Glad to see the interest is there!

-Valerie \:D/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Glad to see nwdive club members puuting it on for us.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Hi!

Just curious if there has been any movement on the bulk buy, via UWS, of the DAN safety kit? Safety sausage, whistle, mirror, et al.

I really need to replace my stuff sooner than later. If this isn't happening I'll just place my order through DAN.

Thanks!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Yeah, I pulled this thread up to look where that was going too.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I am also waiting for word on the safety kits....
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've asked UWS about it a coupla times, I'll drop them an email right now to see where we're at on the sausage kits. :salute: