I like Diving CCR

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
mattwave
Amphibian

I like Diving CCR

Post by mattwave »

Ok, I know pretty random and all, but this has been a quiet forum for a while and there are a few "Newer" CCR divers and recently Mixed Gas trained CCR divers here - HOW'S IT HANGING FOLKS?

Any happy experiences or alarming notches on your belts you feel like sharing?

I have been loving every minute of diving my CCR and happy to hear so many feel the same!

Disclaimer - :occasion5:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: I like Diving CCR

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love my CCR! I recently went through about 10 or 12 dives in a row where I felt like a beginner all over again, but starting with my trip to Port Hardy, everything seemed to click into place again, and I got happy all over. It was weird; I didn't have a very difficult transition from OC to CCR, but after 50-60 dives, I started struggling with buoyancy and trim, and just started feeling like I sucked at diving......Now, I've pulled off a few non-beginner type dives with the Meg, and got my confidence up a few notches.......and it really hit me the other night, screwing around looking for bottles and fish and whatever at 140 feet: "This is the only way to fly!" We just barely hit a little bit of deco, had lots of bottom time below 100', so quiet Calvin and I could talk to each other, nice warm loop gas.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Matt
Put simply, it's going great, I'm loving it too :occasion5:

I have dragged my CCR to all the fun northwest locations, like Neah Bay, Port Hardy, Nanaimo, Hornby, Gabriola, Sechelt, etc -- it has never let me down.

Best part though are the 90 min+ local night shore dives. Lots of bottom time at depth without the hassle of a surface interval, a surface swim, or backbreaking doubles.

I haven't done too much mixed gas stuff though. Maybe this summer.
:sign10:
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Nice!
11 Lake Dives so far in May and only 48cf of Helium Consumed - can anyone say Going Green? :hello2:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

mattwave wrote:Nice!
11 Lake Dives so far in May and only 48cf of Helium Consumed - can anyone say Going Green? :hello2:

I like recycling. :supz:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think I'm starting to hit my stride, though I'm far from as comfortable as I was on OC. I think that there's some truth to the thought that the more comfortable you were on OC, the more you have to re-learn on CC. I can't wait until I get back to the point where I didn't even notice my dive gear (it was just an extension of me) and I just focused on getting good photos. For now, I'm very conscious of everything that's going on with the Shearwater, my buoyancy, the HUD, my loop, the counterlungs, my trim.... aaaaaargh! It is fun as a gear-o-phile though, to play with all of the stuff and then see it assembled, looking all badass and all. :supz:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: I love Diving CCR

Post by ljjames »

I watch my OC buddys bubbles and whilst swimming through them, think...

"MY GOD that is a lot of gas just bubbling away.."

swim swim swim

"GOOD LORD those bubbles are HUGE! how much gas can they have left?"

swim swim swim..

"poor things have got to be just about out of air... good thing we are in 10' of water"

oh ya, and i LOVE being warm, and I love feeling SO good after an hour plus at 100+ feet... That constant PO2 thing was something I hadn't really thought through when I started down this path... BIG difference!
Attachments
2566_140718525437_760835437_6212351_554397_n.jpg
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: I love Diving CCR

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:I watch my OC buddys bubbles and whilst swimming through them, think...

"MY GOD that is a lot of gas just bubbling away.."

swim swim swim

"GOOD LORD those bubbles are HUGE! how much gas can they have left?"

swim swim swim..

"poor things have got to be just about out of air... good thing we are in 10' of water"

oh ya, and i LOVE being warm, and I love feeling SO good after an hour plus at 100+ feet... That constant PO2 thing was something I hadn't really thought through when I started down this path... BIG difference!
Way to exhume an old thread! Are those Neoprene counterlungs in your new Avatar? How do you like them?

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

nah, those are regular ones in size pygmy that leon sewed down smaller for
me, my neo's are coming after we actually measure my childsized lung volume :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"