I feel a little dizzy....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

I feel a little dizzy....

Post by Joshua Smith »

from all the gear I bought/ ordered this past week.....it's been a glorious run for the "Nailer Acquisitions Department!"

Lesse, here- I bought a new Atomic B2 reg, a 30 cf pony bottle from DiverDown, sweet set of brackets from pony tamer for mounting said pony bottle, ordered a new set of fins, and ordered a new bp/w from Golem gear. This comes hot on the heels of my new VT Pro computer and, of course, my new drysuit.

(wobble) the room keeps spinning around.....but I sure bought some (eyes roll back) sweeeet gear......(foam at corner of mouth)

wheeeee!

(collapses on floor)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer, can I buy that OMS BP off of you?

Now you know how it feels (the dizziness) :vom:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hmmm....yeah, maybe. It's aluminum, and showing a wee bit of corrosion. I was surprised by that; I thought it was stainless, and I also thought aluminum couldn't corrode. Still want it?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

:smt119 ha, ha ... i'm feeling some of your painful pleasure. ](*,) i have a list of all of my SCUBA "investments" to date, and when i added it up today i was more than a little shocked. #-o just today i bought two alu 80's and a dive rite nitek 3. over the past few weeks i have been accumulating quite a pile of goods ... but it's not over yet - i still have my regs and a drysuit to buy. :pale:

what i want to know, though, is ... why do i already have 3 pairs of fins? :smt064
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Lawgoddess :

did some one lose trak of the bought and sought gear?

dont feal to bad though I have like 4 or 5 snorkles and I hardly ever use one

go figure

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

thelawgoddess wrote:: i have a list of all of my SCUBA "investments" to date, and when i added it up today i was more than a little shocked.
LG-

Surely they taught you to never do this in your OW course? Bad, bad idea.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

dsteding is right. If I made a list I'd probably pass out :vom:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

oh, actually ... i had forgotten -- the woman i bought some stuff from via craigslist earlier this week told me that her husband and his diving buddies only refer to the costs associated with diving in terms of scuba "units." (if i remember correctly, i think she said 1 scuba unit is the same as 100 normal dollars.) i'm going to go back and revise my list. i'm really glad you inadvertently reminded me about this. i mean, geez - i guess i haven't spent that much after all! :evil4:
my FLICKR photo sets
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba gear collecting ... it's a fun and interesting pastime.

You'll know you're reached proficiency when you realize you need at least a two-car garage ... one side to hold your scuba gear, and the other side for the rest of your scuba gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

:smt119
my FLICKR photo sets
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba gear collecting ... it's a fun and interesting pastime.

You'll know you're reached proficiency when you realize you need at least a two-car garage ... one side to hold your scuba gear, and the other side for the rest of your scuba gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Not to mention a bigger vehicle in which to transport all of said scuba gear....

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Zen Diver wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba gear collecting ... it's a fun and interesting pastime.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Not to mention a bigger vehicle in which to transport all of said scuba gear....

-Valerie
Well, as anyone who's seen the Nailermobile can tell you, that won't be an issue! As for the garage.....I think you're right, Bob! Looks like that shop I built in the backyard is really destined to be a dive locker. :supz:

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yes, I finally made a 'gear room' out of a tv room that wasn't used much. Problem is, it's at the other end of the house and dive gear is heavy!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Well, I can identify with your pain :-({|= (or pleasure?! \:D/ )!!!

We're clearing out a portion of the work room (an extra 2 car garage that is enclosed and is soley for storage) to become OUR version of Davy Jones Dive Locker!

I'm with you Nailer!!! In the last 21 days, Mrs. Sounder and I have created a monster...
2 Atomic B2's :pale: ,
2 Atomic Z2's :pale: :pale: ,
2 DSS Torus single rigs :pale: :pale: :pale: ,
2 GZ drysuits :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: ,
2 HP100's :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: ,
2 HP130's :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:,
2 DUI Weight & Trim rigs :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:,
1 sweeeeeet spring-loaded crab bag \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ,
2 VT3 wireless air computers :pale: :pale: :pale: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :pale: :pale: ,
2 triple gauge consoles [-X :pale: [-X :pale: [-X :pale: [-X :pale: [-X ,
and a ton of other random stuff :partyman:!!!

I appear to suffer from the same ailment Nailer and Calvin do. GD... can I borrow space in your garage if I get too much stuff for mine?! Nailer... can I borrow your green dive-mobile?! Geez - I swear, if Mrs. Sounder doesn't start getting in the water now that I've got everything set up comfortably and warm... :angryfire:

Note to self... don't fall in love with any more expensive hobbies. :salute:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Cha ching!! I suppose if there werent such thing as dive gear there wouldnt be diving!! \:D/ Last time I checked "dive gear" grows on trees right?? P.U.D, SHMEE UHH DEEE!! :supz:
Who run barter town?
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

"SCUBA UNITS"

Bwahahaha! That's priceless. I'm doing less damage to my kid's inheritance than I thought.

Funny stuff here.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote: You'll know you're reached proficiency when you realize you need at least a two-car garage ... one side to hold your scuba gear, and the other side for the rest of your scuba gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
So if proficiency is the above, is nirvana having your own fill station? I know you must have thought about it before . . .
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

thelawgoddess wrote::smt119 ha, ha ... i'm feeling some of your painful pleasure. ](*,) i have a list of all of my SCUBA "investments" to date, and when i added it up today i was more than a little shocked. #-o just today i bought two alu 80's and a dive rite nitek 3. over the past few weeks i have been accumulating quite a pile of goods ... but it's not over yet - i still have my regs and a drysuit to buy. :pale:

what i want to know, though, is ... why do i already have 3 pairs of fins? :smt064
:smt119 :smt119 ](*,) ](*,) You are just getting going. Only three pairs of fins, heck I have 5 pairs. Why I need that many I have no idea. I just sold a pair and will sell another soon. Soon your tanks will start to breed in your garage and your will have 2 of every flavor. Its a hard sport to stop buying, right Nailer!!!!!!

Charles
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob knows what he is talking about. =D> Believe it or not, I have every scuba receipt from when I started in 1997. Last time I figured it up I was at like $16000. Oh, that was before I bought the Zodiac that I just had to have. \:D/
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

aquanautchuck wrote:Believe it or not, I have every scuba receipt from when I started in 1997. Last time I figured it up I was at like $16000. Oh, that was before I bought the Zodiac that I just had to have. \:D/
:smt119 wow; you really are a "nut" - you must have an entire closet just for all your receipts! :evil4: my house didn't come with closets and i don't even have a driveway. (just lots and lots of stairs!) luckily my bf has a nice big garage, though. not sure what i'd do if he didn't! :dontknow:
my FLICKR photo sets
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Get a bigger place. \:D/ I live in a apartment complex so all I do is get another garage. They are only $40 a month. I have 3 now. ](*,) Is that too many?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

$16,000 &%#$@!!! :pale: #-o

Eventually a compressor will be cool, and I'm starting to look at swim platforms that hang about 18" in the water off the back of a stern-drive skiboat. Course, skiboats are for skiing... Zoidaks are for diving. I might need a new boat too!

How many scuba units is a Zodiac?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Do you really want to know????????? Well if one unit = $100 it would come to :dontknow: Hmmmmmm Boat 60 units, motor 50 to 60 units, trailer 20 units. Then you start customizing the boat which is probably another 10 to 15 units. Hey, I never figured it out this way. Doesn't seem to bad. \:D/

I lucked out and started by buying a local fire dept zodiac with trailer and motor for 20 units. The boat was trash and I bought a new boat in 2001 for only 39 units. All of the modifications I have done myself. I think I am into it for $7200 I mean 72 units. That sounds better.

Charles
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

72 units isn't hard to stomach! I like the sound of buying the local fire department's boat... how'd you stumble on that!? I may start watching craigslist or something similar to see if I find a total steal. My friend also keeps his eye on things like that so I'll put him on the hunt... how long it yours? Steering wheel or standard outboard with a handle at the rear? I guess with dive gear in the front of the boat, getting the boat to plane isn't an issue!!!

Oooh... now I'm getting excited. O2 is next on my list, then maybe a compressor and zodiak (although I'm not holding out much hope for the zodiak... hard to justify to the wife)!!! I think scuba units are a much better way of measuring gear though... it's like measuring temerature in Celcius (sp?)!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sounder wrote:Oooh... now I'm getting excited. O2 is next on my list, then maybe a compressor and zodiak (although I'm not holding out much hope for the zodiak... hard to justify to the wife)!!!
i think the zodiac sounds way cool! :supz:

i just ordered regs through my lds for me and my buddy yesterday. we weren't ready to buy those this soon after getting cert'd, but we wanted to take advantage of the free egress octo apeks was giving away. i haven't added that to my list of acquisitions yet. i think i need to convert all of the dollars to scuba units first ... otherwise, i'm likely to read it and pass out or go numb! :pale: i'm feeling you even more now, sound - i am definitely dizzy! Image

as soon as i get my regs i am going to go for a dive in my backyard if i have to. i am not spending this much money just to have a bunch of stuff to put in my bf's garage! Image
my FLICKR photo sets