Giant Squid

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Giant Squid

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've been fascinated with the Giant Squid ever since I was a little kid and first saw a scale model of one in San Francisco at the museum of natural history....the fact that nobody had ever seen one was seared into my brain at the age of 5. I just couldn't get over the fact that we knew they were there, but couldn't go deep enough to see them- anyway, last year, some scientists were able to get some pictures (and a tentacle!) of one attacking their lure. There's a show about it on Discovery Channel this Saturday, August 5th, at 8PM: http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/ser ... hannel=DSC

Not much info, but I'll be watching anyway! There's, like, 8.4 seconds of footage, and they'll have an hour long show built around it, but I don't care- any true squid fan will be glued to the screen like me!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

That makes two of us BRO you know I will be glued to my recliner and kicked back watching

I dont care if it is only a short clip the other infermation they will share with us will be worth it

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dang, I just watched a Mythbusters on Jaws. They shot some scuba tanks to try to blow them up. They shot through the bottom of AL 80s, but they didn't blow (they just turned into missles). Then they blew one up with C4 just for fun! \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've already got my TV set to record the squid thing - I've seen the video clip... and it's a BIG SQUID! I just hope it doesn't end up being like the shark sub crap. I'm really interested in the science behind it, the squid behavior, what they eat, how the scientists finally got one, etc. Apparently the arm that was torn off would move around when stimulated.

Should be fun!!! :toimonster:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i don't have cable. ](*,)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets