Rebreather information seminar FREE

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Rebreather information seminar FREE

Post by scottsax »

So, this was incredibly fun! Thanks to Curt and Mel and all the volunteers that graciously allowed us to slobber in their rebreathers (yuk!) for 4 hours. Very informative, and a ton of fun! I only wish I'd had more than 4 hours of sleep going into it, so I could be more aggressive in getting time on the rebreathers. Oh well, next year. As it is, I tried out the Meg and the Inspiration. Both were cool, but very different. I had a hard time figuring out how to descend, how to manage my loop volume, how to adjust buoyancy, how to breathe.... OK, I had a hard time figuring how to do most things with the rebreathers.

It's definitely something I'll do again next time the opportunity presents itself, and rebreathers don't seem quite so scary anymore.

It was a great time-thanks again!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Shoot! I should have asked for NWDC members to come up and introduce themselves to me but didn't even think to do so! #-o

I was the guy snapping photos and would have like to have met you and any other NWDC members that were there. I know that I met a couple....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

John Rawlings wrote:Shoot! I should have asked for NWDC members to come up and introduce themselves to me but didn't even think to do so! #-o

I was the guy snapping photos and would have like to have met you and any other NWDC members that were there. I know that I met a couple....

- John
Actually, John, I think we've met before (at the club dive in March). If my buddy and I had been somewhat less exhausted, I would've made a point to be more chatty. I was the guy sitting in the chair in front of the Megs with the silver earrings.
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:sitting in the chair in front of the Megs with the silver earrings.
They're putting silver earings on them, now? I like the "Plain, no nonsense" look of my Meg, but I guess that's not for everyone. :salute:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Nailer99 wrote:
scottsax wrote:sitting in the chair in front of the Megs with the silver earrings.
They're putting silver earings on them, now? I like the "Plain, no nonsense" look of my Meg, but I guess that's not for everyone. :salute:
Actually, to keep them DIR, the Megs had matte black earrings. I had the silver ones.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:Actually, to keep them DIR, the Megs had matte black earrings. I had the silver ones.
That's funny on multiple levels. :supz:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

One more thought-CCRs are incredibly cool, complex pieces of machinery that require your undivided attention while diving. I can see myself moving into that setup in the future, but honestly, OC gear is probably going to suffice for my diving needs for quite some time.

An X-scooter, however, is something I'm going to need much sooner.... :supz:

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:One more thought-CCRs are incredibly cool, complex pieces of machinery that require your undivided attention while diving. I can see myself moving into that setup in the future, but honestly, OC gear is probably going to suffice for my diving needs for quite some time.

They aren't for everybody, that's for sure. But I love them. My goal when I started diving was to dive deep shipwrecks (And Walls, and, well, just deep dives in general). And I think CCRs are the best way to do that. Many people don't agree with that conclusion, and that's fine. I made my choice a while ago, and I haven't regretted it.

And, after finishing my Trimix training a couple weeks ago, the X scooter just made the top of my toy list! :bounce:

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Nailer99 wrote:
scottsax wrote:One more thought-CCRs are incredibly cool, complex pieces of machinery that require your undivided attention while diving. I can see myself moving into that setup in the future, but honestly, OC gear is probably going to suffice for my diving needs for quite some time.

They aren't for everybody, that's for sure. But I love them. My goal when I started diving was to dive deep shipwrecks (And Walls, and, well, just deep dives in general). And I think CCRs are the best way to do that. Many people don't agree with that conclusion, and that's fine. I made my choice a while ago, and I haven't regretted it.

And, after finishing my Trimix training a couple weeks ago, the X scooter just made the top of my toy list! :bounce:
My diving goals are ever-evolving. Right now, more dives is my goal. Then, more dives. Then, Rescue Diver. Then more dives. Then we'll need to see. Having dove my first real shipwreck in Bonaire, I want more, but that was pushing the edge of my comfort zone with depth. (100 fsw). I'll have to do more of those to get to a point where I'm ok with that. If long, deep dives are where I want to go, then CCR will most definitely become a priority for me. But there's a big part of me that wants to spend the rest of my days on a tropical beach teaching and diving days and playing music nights-I may not need a CCR for that...

mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

X scooter definitely at the top of my list now too! And I am with you Scott, oc is great for awhile. Rebreathers are sweet though, and I respect all of you who take diving up a notch. I am glad to have tried out the leading CCR units and definitely learned a lot. Happy diving everyone, wish my living room was as cold as the sound right now...sweating...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

You can scooter in the pool....

A bit of video from the "scooter side of the pool" :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1256770

consider it training for "scubatics"

http://www.scubatics.org/
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"