Anyone ever attempted something like this?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Anyone ever attempted something like this?

Post by scottsax »

I posted here http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3822 about an idea I had for a video documenting the change of the seasons underwater here in the Sound. Has it been done before? I think that'd be a lot of fun to plan/dive/shoot....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
bnboly
Submariner

Re: Anyone ever attempted something like this?

Post by bnboly »

Might want to check with user stillhope. They may have or are thinking of doing/done it.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
stillhope
Avid Diver

Post by stillhope »

Showing the seasonal changes underwater is a great idea. =D> The movie I filmed, "Return of the Plankton" does just that in Puget Sound -- showing a good representative sample of Puget Sound critters and some of their seasonally related behavior, you know, wolf-eels with eggs and such. :sign10: But it's only 28 minutes long, and there are so many critters ... there is still plenty left to do. I was fortunate to have a marine biology instructor as a dive buddy, so he not only knew a lot about the critters and how they interrelated (even the invisible ones), but he knew how to tell a good story. I also had a producer work with me and she did the writing and lined up music, etc. Still it took us 4 years. Not to discourage you, we were working on other things too.

Having learned something of the seasons in the process, I am always thinking "what can I film on this dive that only happens this time of year?" You know what would be really useful? A calendar that contains entries from divers in the region who had seen seasonal events, like eelgrass setting flowers, or greenlings guarding eggs, or whatever. Then anyone could look at the calendar and see what sorts of things had been happening where that time of year.

Does anyone know how to write a web app that would allow people to enter their data into a calendar like that?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

stillhope wrote:Does anyone know how to write a web app that would allow people to enter their data into a calendar like that?
i could help out with that. there are a couple different calendars i could install on a site that would provide this sort of functionality. i would be reticent to open it to the public due to spam and vandals, but if a couple folks would be willing to help moderate it and add entries, i would be happy to install and host it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

stillhope wrote: Does anyone know how to write a web app that would allow people to enter their data into a calendar like that?
While a "private" calender would be kinda interesting...

The Seattle Aquarium might be all over this idea. You might try talking with some of their educationally oriented people. You may know those folks anyway and I don't want to post staff emails here but try <aquarium.programs (at) seattle (dot) gov> if you need a generic contact. A combination web calender and seasonal brochure "This month in the Sound" kinda thing. Having it integrated with short narrated video clips would round out the concept.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
stillhope
Avid Diver

Post by stillhope »

Great ideas! As far as avoiding spam goes, maybe we could get a thread going on this forum in which people report seasonal behavior sightings, and a trusted volunteer enters them into a calendar that the public can read.

I originally envisioned my TV series as something like that "This Month in the Sound" idea. But I just couldn't do all that myself. I have recently lined up some volunteer video editors that will help with my load. With an experienced video producer or two to volunteer to organize monthly videos about underwater events, we could really go places. In addition to seasonal behavior, I'd also like to be doing more segments on threats to our local waters and projects that are helping them withstand those threats.

The Seattle Aquarium is an interesting idea. I don't really "get" what their motivation might be though -- if I were to contact them about this what would be the selling point? They seem to either want to attract people to their exhibits and educational programs, or to get people to volunteer with their research projects. They don't seem to have a pool of workers sitting around waiting for a good idea to come along. What specifically would we want them to provide, and what could we promise them in return?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

stillhope wrote: The Seattle Aquarium is an interesting idea. I don't really "get" what their motivation might be though -- if I were to contact them about this what would be the selling point? They seem to either want to attract people to their exhibits and educational programs, or to get people to volunteer with their research projects. They don't seem to have a pool of workers sitting around waiting for a good idea to come along. What specifically would we want them to provide, and what could we promise them in return?
The aquarium staff are good at identifying what might be a good topic for any given month. We can all guess the lingcod spawning in Feb is good for that month, but what about say October? Kelp die-off? :dontknow: I imagined collaborating to produce (12!) video exhibits which could be shown there at the appropriate time and elsewhere (Public Access TV etc.) Possibly in conjunction with some sort of take home brochure.

(merely an example)
Aquarium provides:
expertise + scientific credibility (good in front of the legislature!)
maybe some equipment (video microscope in a story on larvae might be a plus)
paper graphics/multimedia
(continuous) exposure

You provide:
video + equipment
editing
narration
a little more hard hitting message (I generally feel like their conservation messages are too soft and "feel good")

They are always looking for public/private/gov't partnerships. Since the Aquarium Society basically took it over they are only a quasi-public parks facility now anyway. You also might ask the Puget Sound Partnership if they have any funding opportunities coming up too. Although that trifecta might be a challenge to juggle.

Anyway, just ideas for you to mull around,
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote:but what about say October? Kelp die-off? :dontknow:
Schooling dogfish in shallow water. I'm told it happens every October.
Here's video I shot last October with a crummy point-n-shoot still cam. Several dozen were in view at all times out on the edge of visibility. One or two at a time would break from the school and joust at us. (Oct. 1, Point Defiance)
-Ben

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcLRimZFJKc&hl ... ram><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcLRimZFJKc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Well embedding the video didn't work, and the edit button must have the day off because it's not here. :dontknow:
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey