My KISS Classic Stand

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
sunkmail
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

My KISS Classic Stand

Post by sunkmail »

I am happy to share with everyone the stand I made for my KISS.

I'll start off with some random bits of info as to why I wanted the stand:

- I'm 6'1", It's a challenge to get into without a tall bench.

- I wanted somewhere to put my Argon Bottle

- I like the idea of sidemounting my BOBs

- I needed someway of lifting the thing without hurting my fingers

Enter, My 3D CAD software!

In a previous (working) life, I was a mechanical designer. Specifically, I worked with sheet metal, primarily SS.

I started with a list of things I wanted the stand to have.

- No Sharp Corners - all corners were to be rounded. All edges softened
- A lifting handle that doesn't get in the way of my hoses
- Easy to Travel with - Must break down to be no bigger than my CCR
- Somewhere to fit my argon bottle
- Height, for easier Donning and Doffing
- Simple to use/install
- light - I went with Aluminum- I don't need much weight as is (I'm down to 6 lbs, with al. tanks and drysuit)
- Ability to attach 'stuff' to it, including acting like a butt-plate for sidemounting

Then I started thinking ... What about the Sport KISS. I started chatting with a SK owner and he was nice enough to take some measurements for me. The design then was made to also fit a SK, with one part being replaced.

Thus, I produced the 'Travel Stand'

It wasn't cheap to get a single, one-of, made, but I think it was a good choice for me.

Taken apart (ie, for travel packing):

And Mounted on a Sport:

After several dives, I am quite happy with the way everything worked out. I have some new ideas, and have made drawings for them too. Little things I learned from the first stand to make it fit my needs even better:

- No tools required for removing the Back-plate
- A little shorter (I was having a little trouble reaching the bottom)
- A little smaller Handle
- A place to attache zip-ties to the handle for holding extra gear (ie, zip-tie on a D-ring for holding stuff up while not wearing the unit.
- An Argon Bottle mounting bracket - so the bottle isn't right up against the side of the stand - I found it hard to attach things easily. At the moment, I've rigged somethign up that works, but kinda looks stupid (so no pictures )

Once I get some spare cash, I'm going to get the new one made. I'll try to post some pics for that too - but it may be a while :crybaby: I have other stuff I need to buy first \:D/

Some Pics of the new design:

If anyone is interested in more pictures, You can find them here:
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk15 ... Prototype/

What do you folks think??

Scott
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: My KISS Classic Stand

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome job Scott, Nice piece of engineering. I miss doing that stuff at work. I don't miss working though [-X Sure is nice having your own cad system handy. Which program are you using? Bet there are allot of pennies invested in all that cutting! plasma arc or water jet ?
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Nice work!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Very cool.... KISS rebreather divers are definitely the DIY-type. :notworthy:
sunkmail
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by sunkmail »

Dusty2 wrote:Awesome job Scott, Nice piece of engineering. I miss doing that stuff at work. I don't miss working though [-X Sure is nice having your own cad system handy. Which program are you using? Bet there are allot of pennies invested in all that cutting! plasma arc or water jet ?
Thanks.

I don't miss the working part of the job either, but I do like making stuff :)

I'm using an olderversion of SolidWorks - 3D Modeling & It has a great sheet metal feature that allows you to make flat files with bend allowances.

It's waterjet. I was told that you can't laser 1/4" aluminum. it is a little pricey. Especially since it was a one-of. I'd like to make the newer version, but I'll have to wait until I find a few more friends that want to split the cost (always cheaper to get a bunch made :P)