Diving around LA

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
raptor
Dive-aholic

Diving around LA

Post by raptor »

Well I will be in LA for this week and would like to know if there is any good diving I should do. So if any of you have any good ideas shoot I would very much appreciate them.
dlh
Submariner

Re: Diving around LA

Post by dlh »

One Word: Catalina

You can shore dive in the dive park, or take a dive charter boat from Catalina itself or even Long Beach/San Pedro.

Farnworth Point - Catalina Island May 2008

Spanish Shawl - Catalina Island May 2008
Dave
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving around LA

Post by LCF »

Oh, my . . . Good diving in LA. Where to start?

We've made two trips down there. We've done shore dives from Vet's Park (sarcastic fringeheads, MANY walnut-sized octopus, beautiful purple and white striped jellies) and Deadman's Reef from Laguna (beautiful structure, tons of sheep crabs and chestnut cowries). We did a charter off Anacapa, which was utterly fabulous (the third dive off the charter was one of the finest dives I've ever done). We dove the oil rigs (science fiction landscape and tons of life), and we spent a day at the dive park in Catalina (which we've done again . . . It's just pure fun).

Before we went, if you had asked me about LA as a diving destination, I would have laughed. At the end of our first trip, I said, "Why does anyone from here bother with Cozumel?" Our second trip didn't have the fabulous viz we had on the first one, but still had kelp and color and Garibaldis and huge schools of fish. LA has wonderful diving. If you would like to arrange some local guides, post on the dive matrix (http://www.divematrix.com) where there are a LOT of Southern California divers, some of whom would probably be delighted to help facilitate your trip.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames