Hello

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
butters
Getting To Know Folks

Hello

Post by butters »

I've been lurking for a while- thought maybe I should introduce myself- My name's Micheal, and I love diving! Got certified about a year ago with my buddy Chuck. We both did Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver together, and I dig diving with him, but........Lately, I've really wanted to explore more options, like learning how to dive deeper, and maybe seeing new stuff like shipwrecks, and whatever it is you guys see down there!
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Hello

Post by smike »

butters wrote:I've been lurking for a while- thought maybe I should introduce myself- My name's Micheal, and I love diving! Got certified about a year ago with my buddy Chuck. We both did Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver together, and I dig diving with him, but........Lately, I've really wanted to explore more options, like learning how to dive deeper, and maybe seeing new stuff like shipwrecks, and whatever it is you guys see down there!

Do you really spell your name Micheal? (I spell mine that way -)

Welcome to the club!

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
butters
Getting To Know Folks

Post by butters »

smike wrote:
butters wrote:I've been lurking for a while- thought maybe I should introduce myself- My name's Micheal, and I love diving! Got certified about a year ago with my buddy Chuck. We both did Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver together, and I dig diving with him, but........Lately, I've really wanted to explore more options, like learning how to dive deeper, and maybe seeing new stuff like shipwrecks, and whatever it is you guys see down there!

Do you really spell your name Micheal? (I spell mine that way -)

Welcome to the club!

S'Mike
Oh- I thought you spelled it "s'mike"? ;) Yeah, "Micheal" is the only right way to spell our name, IMO.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the site Micheal! Lots of good peeps hang out here, lots of great (though differing) perspectives on the "right" way to dive, lots of opportunity to learn, and for the most part an openmindedness and tolerance for differing viewpoints. (At least we like to think so...)

Hang out, dive, ask questions - this is a good place to be. IMO none better in the PNW!

See you in the water,

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

butters wrote:Yeah, "Micheal" is the only right way to spell our name, IMO.
I like you already :supz:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome, This is the place for all the info you ever wanted about Sound diving and allot you won't :laughing3: We have a very diversafied group here so feel free to ask away but be prepared for lots of different points of view. :smt119
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

welcome micheal, and may the schwartz be with you.... safe diving :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Butters (like the name),

Following up on your question, I guess I have some questions:

- What do you mean by "diving deeper"? How deep are you diving now?
- About seeing stuff like wrecks, do you have something specific in mind or are you just looking for a challenge and what's in store at "the next level"?

No matter what your answers are there are many folks on this board who have taken diving a step or two further than where you're currently at. That's the great thing about this diving community, there's always something left to learn - no matter how new or experienced you already are.

Welcome to NWDC!
Diverman
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Diverman »

Hi,

This thread actually brings me out of lurking too. I've been reading this site for probably a year. I'm a recreational diver, only AOW certified, but I've been diving for quite a few years and have a good number of dives under my belt (almost 100). I've been diving a regular BC setup (Zeagle Ranger), and have been seriously considering upgrading to a back-plate and wing. I've read about a variety of different brands on the various forums and dive equipment sites, but to tell you the truth I really can't tell the difference between them - they all look pretty much the same to me, lol!

Anyway, maybe in answering Micheal's questions here I might learn something about what type of equipment is needed to do more challenging dives than I've been doing (usually Cove 2 ibeams, etc.).

Watching and listening :book:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Diverman wrote:Anyway, maybe in answering Micheal's questions here I might learn something about what type of equipment is needed to do more challenging dives than I've been doing (usually Cove 2 ibeams, etc.).

As far as equipment for more challenging dives goes- it depends. The equipment is important, but not as important as the training, skill and experience. All the best equipment, without the training skill and experience, is either useless or potentially lethal! If you want to start looking into going down the tech road, you should probably invest some time into finding an instructor who is willing to sit down with you and talk about your goals and expectations, and also help you assemble the right gear for the training you want to take- I know quite a few of the tech instructors around the Seattle area- feel free to PM me if you want to get in touch with one of them.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Diverman wrote:Hi,

This thread actually brings me out of lurking too. I've been reading this site for probably a year. I'm a recreational diver, only AOW certified, but I've been diving for quite a few years and have a good number of dives under my belt (almost 100). I've been diving a regular BC setup (Zeagle Ranger), and have been seriously considering upgrading to a back-plate and wing. I've read about a variety of different brands on the various forums and dive equipment sites, but to tell you the truth I really can't tell the difference between them - they all look pretty much the same to me, lol!

Anyway, maybe in answering Micheal's questions here I might learn something about what type of equipment is needed to do more challenging dives than I've been doing (usually Cove 2 ibeams, etc.).

I have to agree that training and mentoring is very important at this point. "Talk" not wright to people (plural not just one) who actually do these things.
On the gear end though you are right. Most all of the mfg out there make their harnesses, wings and backplates to pretty much the same pattern so there isn't much difference other than cosmetics and such as long as you buy brand name stuff it will pretty much all fit together even if the wing is brand A and the backplate is brand B and the harness is brand Z. Best again is get out there and look at the different ones and talk to the people wearing them. Just remember everyone out there thinks they have the best gear on the market so it's up to you to find what works best for you.

Start doing some of the training first then think gear when the stuff you have starts to seem inadequate or when your instructor sez it is.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Butters and Diverman!
If you really want to dabble in tech diving or just Deco dives, there are quite a few members on this board that can help you.
But be prepaired to spend a fair amount of Scuba Units (1 Scuba unit = $100) But until then, just keep diving and maybe we'll meet at a "Local Dive"! I'm thinking "Team Thursday Divers" Might be in the works soon! :evil4:
:supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Hey Butters and Diverman, Welcome to the NWDC. This is the place to be. Hope to see you in the water! Keep an eye out for a club dive, a big buddy dive or one of the NWUE dives. Seems that these are the venues to get out and meet some of the folks on the board and put some faces to names. It's also a good way to see all of the differing gear configurations, ask questions and learn from those who have "figured" out what works and why!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

here isn't much difference other than cosmetics and such as long as you buy brand name stuff it will pretty much all fit together even if the wing is brand A and the backplate is brand B and the harness is brand Z
Just a warning -- this isn't true. As I found out the hard way.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

LCF wrote:
here isn't much difference other than cosmetics and such as long as you buy brand name stuff it will pretty much all fit together even if the wing is brand A and the backplate is brand B and the harness is brand Z
Just a warning -- this isn't true. As I found out the hard way.
As with many things, it isn't black and white. It isn't the case that all brands/models are compatible with each other and it also isn't the case that you need to buy within a single brand to make things fit. My first BP/W config was mostly one brand (OMS), but now I have various rigs comprised of equipment from various manufacturers. Many diver here are friendly enough to lend someone a piece of gear for a dive or to see if it will fit existing gear. Just ask.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I just put a New Style "Zeagle" inflator on my DUI BC. It's really cool! I can unscrew the valve and attach my garden hose directly to it, to flush it out!

Just my 2 cents :evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My Atomic SS1 also had a fitting like that. I never used it since I have a trigger nozzle on my hose, but I love the idea.