Computer or Paper Dive Log???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

Computer or Paper Dive Log???

Computer
25%
Paper & Pencil
75%

Total votes: 8

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good freaking luck with the Oceanic software. Mine's hosed beyond belief. I dove a Suunto most of the Summer, and that 'ware worked OK- not great, but reasonable enough. The Oceanic stuff was apparently written by Howler monkeys taking hallucinogens. I love my VT-Pro, aka the "Bendmaster 5000", but the 45$ cable I bought with it is probably best used to tie tomato plants off to garden stakes with.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Nailer99 wrote: The Oceanic stuff was apparently written by Howler monkeys taking hallucinogens. I love my VT-Pro, aka the "Bendmaster 5000", but the 45$ cable I bought with it is probably best used to tie tomato plants off to garden stakes with.
I'm with Nailer99 on this. I have a VT Pro and love the computer , but the Oceanic software is pretty lame, and getting a good connection with the download cable is hit-and-miss. #-o Man, that's frustrating! :angryfire: The same is true for my wife's VT Pro, so it is not just my unit.

That being said, I do like the data it keeps for graphing your dive profile, temperature throughout the dive, along with ascent/descent rates, tank pressure, etc.

The log portion of the software for writing the details of the dive is a simple text file that will not print out properly for me (on a HP Laserjet - a bulletproof & utterly reliable printer!). It is supposed to appear in a box below the graph of your profile & dive stats - it is there, but lines of text run over one another.

So instead, I write up the dive in a Word file that I also can paste tide table graphs, pix, and other stuff. (Hey, I'm kind of a nerd that way! - but my kids really like it when I dive with them.)

In the end, I like to keep hard copies in a binder.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Nailer99 wrote:Good freaking luck with the Oceanic software. Mine's hosed beyond belief. I dove a Suunto most of the Summer, and that 'ware worked OK- not great, but reasonable enough. The Oceanic stuff was apparently written by Howler monkeys taking hallucinogens. I love my VT-Pro, aka the "Bendmaster 5000", but the 45$ cable I bought with it is probably best used to tie tomato plants off to garden stakes with.
Actually, I like my pro plus (bendomatic) Though the download software is not very good!! I emailed Oceanic to get there new version. Well im still waiting for a reply.. I did have my computer poop out on me and they sent me a new old one.. Overall I have been real happy with it!! :bounce:
Who run barter town?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Nailer99 wrote:Good freaking luck with the Oceanic software. Mine's hosed beyond belief. I dove a Suunto most of the Summer, and that 'ware worked OK- not great, but reasonable enough. The Oceanic stuff was apparently written by Howler monkeys taking hallucinogens. I love my VT-Pro, aka the "Bendmaster 5000", but the 45$ cable I bought with it is probably best used to tie tomato plants off to garden stakes with.
OH MY GOD BRO
you are killing me I am ROFLMAO so hard I have big horse tears rolling down my face as I try to type this.

Nailer you are killing me

And for my two boubles on this isue
I use both a paper log and I down load the dive profile in to my hard drive

I also have a loging program I recomend you check in to you can down load a demo version and if you like it he will give you a key code to unlock it

this is done by a north west diver and I have been useing it as long as I have been diving all up grades are free for life .
check it out

http://www.scubase.net/index.html

and I did not take the poll cause there was no selection for both

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

I also have a loging program I recomend you check in to you can down load a demo version and if you like it he will give you a key code to unlock it

this is done by a north west diver and I have been useing it as long as I have been diving all up grades are free for life .
check it out

Sparky - that software really looks sweet! :supz: Pretty much what I have been looking for. I think I'll be giving the demo software a try.

Thanks!
- DD

-Mark Twain
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Diver Dad:

I love this program you can do so much with it and he is always updateing it and the price is not to bad

have any questions about it let me know

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

sparky wrote:this is done by a north west diver and I have been useing it as long as I have been diving all up grades are free for life .
check it out
No Mac support! :crybaby:

Either way, you should keep a hardcopy dive log. I'll add to the list of people who think the Oceanic OceanLog software is garbage. Nailer even bought the cable after reading my review of it!
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Sounder wrote:Ok - why are the Oceanic's known as the bendomatics and bendmaster 5000 etc. Are they more liberal than others? I know there is a setting for conservative safety numbers too.
Yes, they are very liberal, along with Aeris computers. They are all made by a company called Pelagic.

-Valerie
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Since I don't dive a computer, for the moment I'm paper only. \:D/

Jake
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

There's no place on the poll for those of us who use both! [-X I like having a copy on my PC and a hard copy log if I travel to a destination where they want to see it.

I love my Oceanic Pro Plus 2, \:D/ and also HATE the software! :violent1: It is not very intuitive or user friendly.

I have played with it enough to learn my way around it and figure out what to do when it doesn't work, so I still use it. It is easier to use the native software for me inspite of it being so clunky because so much information is automatically downloaded from the computer.

Hopefully Oceanic will fix this in future versions? I guess they are a dive equipment company and not a computer company, but couldn't somebody get together with somebody and make a decent product?!? :axe:

I did find their tech support helpful when I called...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Tom - do you have the "conservative setting" set on your computer?
Not to my knowledge, although I will go back and read my manual again. :book: It has not been an issue / concern for me to this point because I do not dive doubles and have not been below 100 ft, and have not gone into deco with the computer. (I'm a pretty conservative diver at this point)

I believe that the "Bendmaster" comments have usually come from some of the guys on the board when they are heading deep and comparing what their computer says to another computer of a buddy who is with them at the time. That is where you really notice the difference in the algorithyms.

Bassman dives a Suunto and sometimes our computers get in an argument :smt065 but it is usually a mild one. I also dive Nitrox quite a bit (which I love, by the way) so that accounts for some of the differences in what our computers "say" is acceptable for repetetive dives.

Anyone else who uses an Oceanic computer or has knowledge care to weigh in here?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I also do both!
I dive a Sunto , Cobra.
Still learning about some of the Software Options, but so far, I like it alot!
Going to Greatful Divers gas management seminar sure made me rethink about how much I depended on my computer for my dive planning.
I too, am still pretty conservative when it comes to deep diving.
Some day I may try out the "Bendmaster 5000"
'
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:I'd like to learn more about what the situation was where people got bent while following their bendomatics.
I personally haven't heard of anyone getting "bent" while following their "bendomatics". It's been more in the vein of light hearted banter / joking as divers compare computers.
Last edited by Tom Nic on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Solution - Dive boat with wide open back.

We'll gear you up, lay you down, and roll you off the back. Voila! No back pain issues! :fish: :smt051
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I coined the term "bendomatic" after my suunto gave me a deco penalty while my buddy's VT-Pro was encouraging him to go deeper and calling him a chicken for ascending. That's when I knew I had to have one!

OK, it wasn't calling him a chicken, but still- the Suunto algorythm is much more conservative than Oceanic's.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Calvin Tang wrote: No Mac support! :crybaby:
I thought Macs could also run PC programs too?? Guess not.
- DD

-Mark Twain
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey, how come i can't choose both??? #-o
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

thelawgoddess wrote:hey, how come i can't choose both??? #-o
Hey LawGodess:

I am with you I realy wanted my vote to be heard but this is a riged ballot
Sounder is trying to rig the election
I think

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah. i mean, i use a dive computer, but then i go home and write the info in my log book and add things that the computer doesn't track - like buddies, and vis, and skills and such. i don't have implements to download my data, though, so i don't really track my dive profile (?) but i guess i could write that data down as well ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets