Anyone been to Belize?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Anyone been to Belize?

Post by nwbobber »

We are planning a trip to Belize with Melissa's family (nostly non-divers, we're working on 'em). Has anyone got any information to share? We have decided on the window being may 1- may15 or so, so I think one of our options is to dive with the whale sharks in southern belize, which would be awesome. We haven't made a firm commitment to any particular spot yet. The desires of the group are to get a little fishing in, to see some of the mayan ruins and culture, enjoy the beach, snorkle, and for us, diving. We are considering a week on our own at glovers reef to dive our brains out.
Any suggestions, or insight?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone been to Belize?

Post by Ken G »

Jackie G has lots of experience down there. You might want to send her a pm
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Ken G wrote:Jackie G has lots of experience down there. You might want to send her a pm
Diving? :dontknow: :evil4:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Pez7378 wrote:
Ken G wrote:Jackie G has lots of experience down there. You might want to send her a pm
Diving? :dontknow: :evil4:
Beer drinking too!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

My wife and I just returned from Belize. We stayed down South in Placencia and dove with Seahorse Dive Shop. They do a lot of Whale Shark tours which you see from their web site. They are a great shop and we would definitely dive with them again. The problem with Placencia is that it is about an hour boat ride from the reef so prices will be higher. A 2 tank dive is about $90 per person. It is about 1/2 that in Ambergris. For Whale Sharks in Belize, Placencia is very popular. We enjoyed our stay and the people were wonderful. We stayed at the Ranguana Lodge which has 5 cabanas, 3 of them are beach front. It was a wonderful place to stay and we would recommend them. They may already be full during Whale Shark season. If we return to Belize, I want to be on the reef. Blackbird Caye Resort looks to be good. Bob.
Life is good, let's dive!!
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

So now I have a clear reputation as an international beer expert? Awesome! (and Belikin beer is quite lovely)

I stayed at Blackbird Caye in 2004, last February I stayed in San Pedro and dove with Ambergris Divers. The diving in the turneffe atolls is much better than the barrier reef in San pedro, but there is not alot for non divers to do. I'm happy to answer any questions...feel free to pm.

Jackieg
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Well I didn't think to ask for advice on the local malt beverages but now I'm interested, please tell me more. We have been considering Placencia, Bob, as it looks like the trips to the Mayan villages and ruins might be easier for the nondivers. How was the diving you experienced?
Jackie, we have been talking about doing a week with family in Placencia or San Pedro and then going out to Glovers, as it is fairly rustic, and cheap, but being an atoll, I was hoping that the diving would be similar to what you experienced at turneffe. Did you do any diving at Glovers, while you were there or have you heard how the diving is there?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

nwbobber wrote:Well I didn't think to ask for advice on the local malt beverages but now I'm interested, please tell me more. We have been considering Placencia, Bob, as it looks like the trips to the Mayan villages and ruins might be easier for the nondivers. How was the diving you experienced?
The diving in Placencia was great! We saw several Turtles, Green Eels, Octo and the best was a Spotted Eagle Ray. Our Dive Master was dissapointed with the visibility, but we thought it was fantastic! The biggest down side for me is the boat ride required to get out to the dive sites. As far as doing the Mayan ruins from Placencia, it will still be a very long day. You will have to take a water taxi over to Independence and then ground transportation from there. It can all be arranged from Placencia. Placencia is experiencing a lot of growth. I would imagine it is very busy during Whale Shark season. The food was very good and I miss the Rum and Belikin! Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!