Spare air....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Spare air....

Post by BUZO71 »

Who uses it?????
Fortes fortuna iuvat
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Spare air....

Post by lamont »

worthless at any depth you'd actually need it.

for pony bottles you should use at least an al19.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

{spatman always enjoys a good Spare Air discussion]
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Hmmmm Extra butter!
Last edited by Pez7378 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Yay popcorn!!! :bounce:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i think i saw them used on a mythbusters episode once (6-12" of water).
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- I try not to dis on recreational gear much- at least on the internet- but those things are damn near worthless. Get a real pony bottle instead, seriously.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Its kind of like a wet match not good for much :dontknow:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

We used to fill Spare Air bottles for helicopter pilots. I suppose if you crashed in the water (their fear) and had the presence of mind to use the thing, it might help. But the reason we were filling them was that they had leaked out all their air. Perhaps the chronic maintenance problems were unique to that location, but it seemed to me that relying on them during an emergency might be a bad thing.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

if you get up to seattle much you could try my 40 and i think josh has a 30 also im sure he would let you try out for a dive. once properly rigged you never notice its there.
Last edited by Burntchef on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pez7378 wrote:Image

Hmmmm Extra butter!
I hear that if you get a small manifold and double them up they are twice as worthless! :supz:

And by the way, I LOVE slinging my pony - or "stage", which sounds so much cooler! :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

OK I have one and have never used it. What depth ya want me to play with it at? I'll post findings after use. If anyone cares. :dontknow:
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

see you many breathes you get at 100fsw
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

billandwende wrote:OK I have one and have never used it. What depth ya want me to play with it at? I'll post findings after use. If anyone cares. :dontknow:

Sounder tested one out with Tom Nic (I think) a while back. I believe the consensus was that the old joke ran true:

"Spare Air.....so you can run out of air twice!"

Like I said before, I try really hard not to criticize "recreational" gear, and I think everyone should dive any way they want- but spare airs are just not a good thing- and no substitute for redundant gas supplies, a good buddy, and halfway decent gas planning, IMO. I'll dive with people that have strange, unfamilliar gear, no problem....but spare airs just aren't a good idea for anyone, as far as I'm concerned. I bet they give less experienced divers a false sense of security, encouraging them to dive more carelessly, as a matter of fact. If anyone feels differently, I'll listen to what you have to say, but....."Spare Air" just seems like a punchline to a bad joke, somehow.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

billandwende wrote:OK I have one and have never used it. What depth ya want me to play with it at? I'll post findings after use. If anyone cares. :dontknow:
Don't use it. It's worth more later as one of those novelty scuba inventions. For the price of a Spair Air, you could buy a good pony/stage setup. And Yes we care!
Maverick wrote:see you many breathes you get at 100fsw
That's why Maverick is only kidding. Sheesh, we would't tell anyone to put a gun to their head would we? :evil4:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I'm kind of curious. Understandably, your breathing rate and volume may be different than others, but we can guesstimate a bit.

If you're willing, just do it on the surface (at home?), breathing at a normal rate, and tell us how many breaths you get. We can do the math from there.

glenn
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

This should be good for a laugh but seriously, this is NOT very responsible advertising. The whole website is based on scare tactics directed at new, inexperienced, uninformed, uneducated and untrained divers. Read the stories and everyone of them will start out with something to the effect of, I didn't check my gear, I didn't have it serviced, I found it at a garage sale etc. #-o I'm kind of irritated now, I'm gonna go get some coffee.

http://www.spareair.com/
SpairAir wrote:
There are over 21 ways
you could run out of air!
How many can you list?

1) Forgetting to watch the time and staying down too long.

2) Using air quicker than planned due to overshooting depth, getting caught in a current, getting lost, nitrogen narcosis, diving in cold water, getting caught in kelp or fishing line.

3) Sudden regulator malfunction due to corrosion or too much time between overhaul.

4) O-ring failure on any of the First stage regulator ports.

5) Regulator stuck in "free-flow" due to foreign particles or sand.

6) Regulator "freezing up" in cold water leaving you suddenly without air.

7) Stuck Pressure Gauge reflecting incorrect pressure in your tank.

8) Air cut off due to tank valve not turned on all the way.

9) Rupture of SCUBA tank o-ring due to misalignment or wear.

10) Second stage regulator diaphragm develops a tear or slips out of place.

11) O-ring failure on BC air inflator or valve stuck in the open position.

12) Burst disc failure on SCUBA Tank valve due to corrosion or age.

13) Clogged filter on first stage regulator due to sediment or rust from tank.

14) Leak develops at any one of the High or Low pressure hose fittings.

15) Mouthpiece on second stage suddenly coming off regulator.

16) O-ring failure on pressure gauge.

17) Rupture of either High or Low Pressure hoses.

18) O-ring failure on Octopus regulator.

19) Rental tank not filled completely.

20) Damaged First stage regulator due to falling object / impact.

21) High or Low pressure hose cut or severed on sharp rock / impediment.

(Source: Dive accident logs, published articles in dive magazines, and letters from SPARE AIR customers.)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

22) forgetting your tank before leaping off the boat

23) not getting an OW cert before diving, and believing your frat brother when he says "dude, it's easy"

24) smoking too much weed before diving
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

25) Choking on a hot dog during a surface interval
Last edited by Pez7378 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

26. accidentally rigging up a fire extinguisher instead of a fresh tank during the surface interval

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

27. you picked the wrong week to quit huffing spray paint
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seems to me that 14) 17) and 21) are virtually the same. Not sure I buy into the "leak DEVELOPS" theory. It's there or it's not.

At any rate, almost every one of these issues can be resolved by proper equipment maintenance, equipment checks at the beginning of the dive, a well thought out dive plan, good buddy skills, and a Gas plan.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:At any rate, almost every one of these issues can be resolved by proper equipment maintenance, equipment checks at the beginning of the dive, a well thought out dive plan, good buddy skills, and a Gas plan.
...and not smoking weed or huffing paint before you dive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:At any rate, almost every one of these issues can be resolved by proper equipment maintenance, equipment checks at the beginning of the dive, a well thought out dive plan, good buddy skills, and a Gas plan.
Meth and Crack are still OK, though, right? And what about Horse, Goobers, Screamers, Ketamine, Ibogaine, Clorox and Green Angel?

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Nailer99 wrote:
spatman wrote:
Meth and Crack are still OK, though, right? And what about Horse, Goobers, Screamers, Ketamine, Ibogaine, Clorox and Green Angel?
i find that a little 5-methoxy-dimethyltryptamine nicely combines with the effects of narcosis at depth.