crabcake recipe

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

crabcake recipe

Post by Joshua Smith »

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:12 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my wife's recipe for crab cakes. We had crab cakes, barbecued ribs and steaks on the 4th of July! Bottom line.....the recipe is simple and IT'S BUTT-KICKIN'!!!!!

Crab Cakes

1 pound lump crab meat

2 Tablespoons mayonnaise – heaping

2 Eggs

½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

½ small onion, grated/diced fine

½ Tablespoon mustard

18 crumbled Ritz crackers

Mix all ingredients together.

Form into balls.

Cook in butter.

Slightly flatten in pan.

Brown on both sides.

UUUURRRRPPPPP! Bon appetite!

- John

*belch*

Well, I went out with DiverDown today, and he....I mean we caught some nice Dungies. (thanks, dude!) anyway, I remembered John Rawlings had posted his wifes recipe for crabcakes a while back- and let me tell you- it rocks! Since it took me some searching to find the first time, I thought it deserved its own thread- Thanks, John![/quote]
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

A buddy of mine brought us some Dungeness crabs about a week ago since he knew that I can't dive rght now. Ginny made her crab cakes out of them and I was reminded once again of just how FABULOUS they are!!!

We washed them down with a glass of fine Chardonney! :partyman:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

omg, i LOVE crab cakes. the ones at arnie's are pretty good, but the best ones i've had around here that i can remember are at etta's. YUM!!! i've never tried making my own, but now that i have a recipe i'm going to have to give it a try. just wondering if i should try it with store-bought crab ... or just wait until we actually catch one and do it up proper? \:D/
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

"Store bought crab"????!!!!

Is there such a thing????!!!! :dontknow:

I've never heard the like!

- John

PS - you only need one or two nice Dungies for crab cakes. 2 or 3 Red Rock crab with big claws will do well, also.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love's them, too. I must say, though- these are the best ones I've had. I know I'm biased, because I brought them home and made 'em myself, but I swear, if you just handed me one out of the blue, I'd still tell you it was the best one I ever ate!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Post by scubagrunt »

Hey John, maybe you want to join our CCR class "debrief" at the jet deck for some wine and crab?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Mmm Mmm Good. Tasty Crabbies!

Post by Pez7378 »

Tried the crab cake recipe today. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think the best crab I've ever eaten was the crab I caught... whether it's that it's as fresh as it gets, or that it hasn't been processed, or that it's simply cool to catch your own crab dinner, crab truly does seem to taste better when you've caught it.

I'm a bit partial to a good Dry Creek or Sonoma Zinfandel with mine.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

okay ... how many mukilteo-sized dungies do we need to get 1 lb of crabmeat?
my FLICKR photo sets
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

thelawgoddess wrote:okay ... how many mukilteo-sized dungies do we need to get 1 lb of crabmeat?
1 or 2, depending on size and whether they have recently molted, (sometimes the shell will have hardened but the meat will not have filled in completely yet).

- John

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, we got one the other day. once we got home i quickly came to the realization that i don't have what it takes to go crabbing. i mean, i found the hunt itself really fun and sporting, but the other part was beyond me. there we were in the driveway, my boyfriend holding the crab out to me ... and there the crab was, looking around and moving his legs in an attempt to find solid ground so he could escape to safety ... and all of the sudden, the thought of eating him was inconceivable. the idea of killing him actually brought tears to my eyes ... and still does. :pale: i guess i'm not as much of a hunter as i thought i could be. i really like to eat crab, but i couldn't eat that one. i'll either have to try to recipe with store-bought crab or with a pile of crabmeat from crabs i never saw alive. #-o
my FLICKR photo sets
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Crabs!

Post by Nwbrewer »

The first time you get nailed by a picher without gloves, all that empathy will go out the window. It did for me anyway. My revenge has been many crab dinners! \:D/

If you still can't bear the thought of boiling your own, and want some good crabcakes, I recommend chinooks. Good stuff.

Jake
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love Chinooks! Best seafood for your buck, in my book. Hey, TLG, what did you do with the crab? Release him into your backyard, so he could find his way back to the sound, or what? And: did you get a shellfish license? I'm not sure what the penalty for crabbing without one is, but it's waaaay more of a pain-in-the butt than getting a license, I'm sure...

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i had a license. luckily it was a temporary one.

my boyfriend cooked the crab and tried to give it to me, but i told him i couldn't even look it. then he pulled the legs off and tried to give those to me, and i told him i still couldn't deal with it. i finally told him i just couldn't eat that crab no matter what and that he had to do it! (being a big hunter himself, i don't think he was very impressed with me.)

never been to chinooks. the crabcakes at arnie's aren't too bad ... but the best ones i've ever had were downtown at etta's. they're not cheap, but holy crabcakes are they GOOD!!!
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's funny!!! So did your boyfriend end up eating it (I hope)? I agree - never had a problem with eating them before, and then one of those little buggas got my finger while I was holding him (he was really flexible!)and using my calipers - hurt so bad I barked out my reg and didn't care... now I REALLY don't have a problem eating them!!!

That's so funny though - just remember that everything is part of a food chain... and we're at the top (most of the time :pale: ). It's a natural progression and you're simply doing your part! Ok, so humans chasing crabs by breathing compressed air underwater might not fit into evolutionary theory, but we have opposable thumbs and use tools! SCUBA is just a tool right?! :book:

You'll get over it - the other thing to do let someone clean them before you see them (once they're out of the water). That way when you boil them you're only looking at halves (you can fit more in the pot that way too)! Halves are tasty!!! :bounce:

If you still can't stand to do it, just get the pot boiling and keep the beer cold. Something tells me that by next season, you'll be dialed in. \:D/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Professional Crab Killer

Post by Pez7378 »

Yes, I am for Hire. A real Professional Crab Killer.......well, I used to be. Worked on a boat in Alaska. Killed Millions of the little beauties. :axe: Kings, OP's you name it. If the Japanese bought it we killed it. :salute: And yes, once a King Crab gets ahold of your finger, your glad to kill it. :violent1:

TLG, next year, you catch em, and I'll kill em. TAAASTEEEE! :partyman:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Caught 4 nice sized rock crabs today with excellent claws - they're steaming as we speak. I am making John's wife's crabcakes (had to re-visit this to get the recipie with the meat - can't wait!!! Oooh they smell good!!! \:D/ :bounce:

Crab season's open again in certain areas!!! :bounce: Unfortunately Mukilteo isn't one of them. [-X
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

so where are you allowed to go crabbing?? where do you get permits?? and how many can you take?? i make a mean spiced butter id love to use again.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mmmm.... red rock claws...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

UUUUUURRRRP IS RIGHT!!! WOW THOSE WERE GOOD!!! :partyman: :prayer:

Go to the WA Dept of fish & wildlife website (http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crab/index.htm) for areas that are open and rules for catching (what's open and what's closed). In open areas (they re-opened a few areas, but Mukilteo isn't one of them) you may take 5 male Dungies who are NOT soft shelled and are 6.25" across the top shell (NOT from "point to point" but just forward of the points). You may also take 6 Red Rock crab measuring 5" across in the same manner.

Learned that the claws provide the best meat, but you can get meat out of the upper legs and at the joints where they meet the body. The meat was QUITE tasty, but there was a small piece of shell here and there because they "shatter" in contrast to Dungies that kind of "split."

SOOOOO good though - John, please tell your wife I thank her for that recipie. :book:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote:UUUUUURRRRP IS RIGHT!!! WOW THOSE WERE GOOD!!! :partyman: :prayer:

SOOOOO good though - John, please tell your wife I thank her for that recipie. :book:
Thanks! I will do so! There isn't much I wouldn't do for some of my Ginny's crab cakes!

We also have a "Lump Crab Meat" recipe that is out of this WORLD! It's kind of a cross between a casserole and a soufle'. You need "lumps" of crab meat to do it right, and Red Rock Crab claw meat is "el-perfecto" for it.

I'll try to look up the recipe and post it later.

- John

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:prayer: