OMS Dive Lights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ppiecuch
Getting To Know Folks

OMS Dive Lights

Post by ppiecuch »

I've been looking at HID lights and the OMS Phantom HID Flashlight caught my eye.

It does not have a rechargeable option, but is the kind of light I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experiences with this light and is it really worth over $900?

Paul Piecuch
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

HID!

Post by scubagrunt »

There is a lot of new technology in the HID dept. the new 12/24 watt bulb is one thing to look at. the older 18 watt HID bulb that was in the older sartec and helios lights is quite fragile. The newer bulb is more "drop" resistant. Curt as two of the new 12/24 watt sartec HIDs for video. you should talk to him. i'm not sure what OMS is using, but worth looking into.
the canister/light head HID system (ie two parts with a cord) is really best for a primary light. it allows for ease of hand movement vs. having a large one peice light in your hand. this becomes very important when moving into tech diving and running lines and shooting bags. the one peice systems are more reliable (in my opinion) but are not as useful. There is alos the 10 watt systems to consider. If you look at these make sure to be careful if looking at used lights. the dive rite 10 watt is great NOW, but the older lights have the orange cord and it WILL break at the worst time possible. if it is the new black cord then you should be okay. i perfer the test tube light system vs. the projector type bulbs. the test tubes are focusable which is helpful in bad viz and they seem to be a bit more drop resistant (in my observations and opinion).
hope some of my ramblings helps. pm me if you need more assistance
mel
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I don't know about the OMS light, but I'll put my two psi in for Salvo-for about that price (I got my 21 W, 14.4v, 4.5A NIMH for $1040) you can get a hell of a nice light. It uses the newer, stronger bulbs-one of the demonstrations that the folks at Salvo do is throw it across the room, something nobody would dream of doing with an older HID. Salvo's customer service and repair is also second to none, but you won't need to use that as much because their lights are so well-built.

I know NWSD in Kenmore has some in stock if you wanted to take a look at one, if I had known about NWSD when I was light shopping, I would have bought mine there.

It is the best money I've ever spent on dive equipment . . . and everyone else I know who has one says the same thing.