I Finished my TRIMIX

General topics about technical diving.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

I Finished my TRIMIX

Post by Maverick »

So this past friday I loaded up my truck (not fuel though cheaper down south) with all my tech gear. Two stages two sets of doubles two wings 35watt salvo :supz: and all the small nicknacs. headed down to hood-canal for a trimix course with me myself and I a private course. I had already had the book read and had four dives ahead of me. I arrived at 3pm and splashed for my first dive at 5pm.

first we cut tables and preped out gear and talked about a dive plan and the what ifs. then had to sign the waiver about how if i die its my fault. then we splashed with a plan of 15ofsw on 25% EAN for 20min of bt. at 10 minutes of bottom time We saw a great big fishing net and with a nice fat ling guarding it. I was a bit narced (way narced) as i was suppose to be so i had a good comparison for my trimix dive which would be the next morning. I had a Steel 72 with 50% for deco and a Al 40 with 100% for deco as-well. I carry them both on my left, that's just how i do it, some like it one on each but i like it both on left. with a total dive time of 60 minutes and some skills after we completed deco it was a fun and funny dive too. i mean funny because on basically air at 150fsw its funny to me, like a six pack. When we surfaced my instructor asked me if i was narced? I just started to laugh, he said is that funny? I said yes because i was totally wasted but i went to WSU so could handle it, he laughed (he's a cop)

then we ate dinner and planned my first trimix dive which would take place in the morning, splash a 10am after i learn to blend gas and analize gas, with a one hour classroom session and breakfast. Just for the record I used Edmonds Technical diving services owned and operated by Don Kinney, room board and gases and books all included as part of the package, very fair and fun guy to. okay back to the class.

my plan was a 20/30 mix 02/helium for those of you who are not familiar with tech jargon. 150 fsw for 20 minutes looking for bottles in a known bottle field. On my first trimix dive ever i found a 1920's (guessing on vintage) 1/2 pint milk bottle embosed and very cool, in mint condition. i showed it to Don and he smiled and put his fist out and we banged fists, kind of like Homies do, like a high five, you get the idea right. Well when our fists hit each others i got this feeling that is hard to describe but it was a great feeling and i was having a great time and i talked through my regs and said "this F&&@ng rocks" and i sounded like donald duck which made me smile and caused a mask flood and led to a mask clearing at 150. My mind was clear and the helium was great, I loved it. then the BT was over and it was time for the planned deco schedule and up we went. We surfaced and he asked me how was that, and I just started to laugh with joy, I mean this was one of the best dives i have done to date i told him. To be clear headed at that depth and have a great instructor who i felt safe with (even though deep diving is solo diving) was just so perfect, I shook his and and said thanks as i had a smile from ear to ear and it didn't go away for hours. He said you aint seen nothing wait till you 200 footer then your really going to laugh if you like this one.

so back to the scuba room at his place and cleaned our gear and reblened the same mix for our 175fsw dive which would be in 3 hours. We talked a bit more about hand signals and the skill we will do after our deco is up on this next dive and then so fast the three hours was over and we hit the water again. went to 175 for 20 minutes and found another cool bottle and had some huge lings glare at me probably thinking to them selves this is my hood, what are you doing here. i said tech diving Bitch :smt035 we finished our BT and startd to head up when Don hit me signaled to look up, we were feet from a jelly the size of :naka: and he didn't want me to touch it. we went up to 70fsw and i didn't my switch to 50% and hung out for our 1min stop, and then finished our deco. Upon surfacing I said lets do it again. i mean i was having so much fun, i was looking forward to this class for about 1year, just haven't had the time or cash to spend on it, and i was finally doing it. I was in cloud nine, or in the abyss :smt119 Come on lets plan our next dive BJ Don says as I strruggle to take of my fin, it was being real difficult. then i realized i still had my stages on and took them off then the fin came right off. slow down i thought to myself. this kind of diving will really get your blood racing if you like a rush this is the stuff. :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Okay so we went back up to the house and blended and rinsed gear and filled argon and BSed a bunch and then had a hot tub dip, some wine, some smores and hmburgers and more BSING and some clean up and it was off to bed to sleep for my next quest to 2oo fsw. i was so excited i couldn't sleep. it was like when i was little and was waiting to go to disney land so I started to read my trimix book and fell right asleep :book:

in the morning i ate a good breakfast and geared up for a 10am splash. we cut tables and finished filling all our stages and what not. then off the the water, I couldn't wait to see my computer say 200 feet on it. on our way down i got the what if running through my head. I just told myself what Nailer told me its jsut another dive, ive done lots don't worry. but i kept thinking what if, i couldn't help it 200fsw is damn deep. once we got there and i saw my computer say 200 feet i got a warm fuzzy feeling and all those thoughts lifted and it was all serious diving, i was having so much fun and then it happened. on our way up after a 20minute BT Don puts a note infront of me that said PRIMARY LIGHT FAILURE!! it was funny he did that because one of my what if thoughts was about my Slavo failing me. so I knew what to do because i run the drills all the time for my own piece of mind, on most night dives. So after reading the card he put in front of me, i point my left hand backwards and the whole place goes dark, i mean pitch black, and with my right hand retrieve one of my two back up lights, my rat jr. and bam I had light, and lots of it, No wait sorry guys I pulled out my princetec and bam there wAs light, same as the salvo led back up. He have me the ok and i stowed it and brought back to life the 35watt and we finished the dive.

I only made one mistake, on my final gas switch to 100% i didn't change my computer and although my tables cleared me I didn't want to bend the computer so i paid the time for an extra 10 minutes of deco at 10fsw.

I passed the class and had so much fun diving to 7 atmospheres i can't wait to do it again. thanks for reading and if any of you are interested in hooking up With Don For any classes let me know. No body can beat his prices, and is classes include gas which no tech class does around here. With the price of helium these days thats a bargin and really a great course. And it doesn't take month of frustrating calls trying to figure out what schedule works for who, you tell him whenyou are available and 2.5 days and four dives later you are a techi. most local dive shops are to busy with Open water classes to offer a really high quality course like Don Provides.

thanks for reading my run on sentences and jabber about my rockin' experience at 7 atmospheres \:D/

Maverick
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: I Finished my TRIMIX

Post by cardiver »

[/quote]thanks for reading my run on sentences and jabber about my rockin' experience at 7 atmospheres \:D/

Maverick[/quote]
Great report, Mav. Don't worry about the run on sentences bud........You did go to WAZZU!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

cardiver wrote:
thanks for reading my run on sentences and jabber about my rockin' experience at 7 atmospheres \:D/

Maverick[/quote]
Great report, Mav. Don't worry about the run on sentences bud........You did go to WAZZU![/quote]

true that
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

congrats dude, i cant wait for trimix. just need t figure out when i can plan it.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Congratulations BJ. I really look forward to doing some deep ones with you. How about say....the 28th? \:D/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Ken G wrote:Congratulations BJ. I really look forward to doing some deep ones with you. How about say....the 28th? \:D/
Oh its on duder, i have my mix waiting, well not really i need a top off, but i'm half way there.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Excellent! Congrats, BJ! There's a bunch of stuff I can't wait to show you......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nailer99 wrote:Excellent! Congrats, BJ! There's a bunch of stuff I can't wait to show you......
EDITed to save my sole.
OOps that was not appropriate out of a PM. can't wait to see what you have to show me.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

A couple of questions:

a. If I read correctly, you wrote you didn't do a gas switch on one of your dives?
we went up to 70fsw and i didn't my switch to 50% and hung out for our 1min stop,
Or, in reading this again, did you mean to write "I did my switch"....?

b. Did you do some failures on all the dives or just the one where you had a primary light failure? (That was dive #4 correct?) And how deep were you when you had the failure?

c. You wrote
even though deep diving is solo diving
Will you please explain this?
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Congrats BJ! When (if) I grow up I want to take trimix also!

And I forgive you the narcosis.....my sons are at WSU experiencing narcosis at sea level. Go figure.

jackieg
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Peter Guy wrote:A couple of questions:

a. If I read correctly, you wrote you didn't do a gas switch on one of your dives?
we went up to 70fsw and i didn't my switch to 50% and hung out for our 1min stop,
Or, in reading this again, did you mean to write "I did my switch"....?

b. Did you do some failures on all the dives or just the one where you had a primary light failure? (That was dive #4 correct?) And how deep were you when you had the failure?

c. You wrote
A) Yeah typo i did my gas switch at 70fsw, sorry.
B) no "real" failures, just a test to see how I would react, only on dive 4
C) You know what I mean
Last edited by Maverick on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Peter Guy wrote:c. You wrote

That's sort of a hangover attitude from the old-school East Coast wreck diver crowd. All of us will do anything to get someone we're diving with out of the water safely. But I still like the "self sufficient" attitude that statement comes from.

By the way- I'm moving this thread into the "tech diving" section where it belongs.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Great job BJ!!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nailer99 wrote:
Peter Guy wrote:c. You wrote

That's sort of a hangover attitude from the old-school East Coast wreck diver crowd. All of us will do anything to get someone we're diving with out of the water safely. But I still like the "self sufficient" attitude that statement comes from.

By the way- I'm moving this thread into the "tech diving" section where it belongs.
Thanks Nailer, for moving it and finding how to say what i was thinking. :occasion5:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Diver_C wrote:Great job BJ!!
thanks Rich
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Okay i will see if i can use better grammar for this part. :evil4:

So some inquiring minds have been wondering if a primary light failure was the only skill i performed, no it was not. thats just all i mentioned because it was the only one that i thought was entertaining for a post.

we did valve drills, s drill, and more valve drills and s drill and mask off and on drills, and change to back up mask drills and then back to the original mask. then we did blind deco gas switches, which is actually quite interesting. and also a good reason to have a bag on your 100% deco reg. We did drills of taking our stages on and off, and since i have mine both on the left, i had to remove the innner one and place it back on the inside, and the outer and place it on the outside. Basically put it back wear it came from. I learned how to stow the reg after a gas switch from 50% to 100%, so stowing the 50% reg back where it came from. and more valve drills (while keeping trim of course) were done. My favorite skill to do is mask removal, and i mean remove the whole mask not just flood it and clear it. i think this is very important because the cold rush that your face gets is very shocking and if you are used to what it feels like if it were to happen to you by mistake maybe it won't be so startling. and of course as i mentioned earlier light failures, and by failures i mean a primary and then a secondary failure too. I carry two back ups on my harness and one in my pocket so i always have light. And since we dive the comp. as a back up we dove tables and had computer failure drills and had to revert to our bottom timers.

It was a very good class and had lots of drills and skill for those of you who thought the Instructor was just handing out trimix cert cards you were wrong. lots of drills and skills, that's what the whole class was basically. Formulas and calculations and planning dives and Equivalent nitrogen depths, and best mixes and how to analyze and even how to blend gases. although gas blending is another class, i was very interested so he gave me the short story.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask. :occasion5:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Congratulations BJ. Sounds like you had a ton of fun! Just a word of caution, Be very careful if ever you're approached by a middle aged guy wearing a goatee and driving a big green van who says, "come with me BJ, I want to show you something" I recommend you Scream loudly "That's not my KID code!" and run away as fast as you can. :axe:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

whats your code? mine is Teabag!
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

BJ!
Dude! That is so cool!
Great report !!! I could feel your excitement as I read it!
Hey! When do I get to buy my computer cover thingy from you!
I may turn to the Tech diving if I continue this dive addiction much longer.
Once there was a time I thought..."When I turn 50..." "I'm going to have a Corvett or a Harley."
Now these days it's more like..."A rebreather and all the training is going to be alot more fun!"
I just hope my health holds out!
BJ, you are an inspiration for many, I'm sure! =D>

Rock On! :smt035 :supz: :supz: :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Thanks Keith, Tech diving is a real hoot and very time consuming. it not just grab the gear and its grab a plan cut tables and go DEEP! It would be fun if you went the tech route. once you go there's no turning back, its like crack cocaine.

as for the computer covers all you gotta do is tell me what computer (cobra still) and I'll bring to to hoodcanal or you can come up to my shop, or we can meet for a dive or you can mail me the comp. and i can mail it back to yo. i have done that with several. I can do it beach side if you wanna meet for a dive too. :bounce:
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Maverick wrote:

as for the computer covers all you gotta do is tell me what computer (cobra still) and I'll bring to to hoodcanal or you can come up to my shop, or we can meet for a dive or you can mail me the comp. and i can mail it back to yo. i have done that with several. I can do it beach side if you wanna meet for a dive too. :bounce:
Yeah? but the question is... Can you dive on Thursdays?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

maybe if you wanna come up here to mukilteo or edmonds park or somewhere up here.
Maverick

STAIRS.