diving/lodging tulum area?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

diving/lodging tulum area?

Post by thelawgoddess »

my boyfriend and i are thinking of going to mexico - have been for awhile and wanted to learn some scuba first. (neither of us have ever been to mexico!) i think i would like to stay in or near tulum and i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. and also for dive shops/charters in the area (including cozumel and the cenotes).
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I am going to Playa Del Carmen in December. I think Playa is about half way between Cancun and Tulum. We're staying at the Barcelo Maya All Inclusive about 20 minutes south of Playa. I haven't stayed there but have several good friends who have and they say it's top notch. I have a line on a good dive shop/guide in Playa but have not got the info yet. I can pass it on when I get it.

Mathue
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; i'd love to hear how it goes and more details. i'm keen to go, but i'm not sure i can afford to for a bit. i'm in my information-gathering mode, though!
my FLICKR photo sets
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

On our somewhat annual trips to the Riviera Maya, we usually rent a Condo in Akumal, which is a sleepy resort village about half-way between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Tulum itself is about as far South as we ever get (although the Ruins there are very nice).

Playa del Carmen has ferry service to Cozumel, and is much more touristy and busy if you're looking for a party. Most of the PDC tourist are from Europe.

For diving in the Cenotes, I would contact Dennis Weeks at http://www.diablodivers.com/. Dennis runs a first class operation and will take good care of you while you are there.

There is also an old trip report and some cavern photos at http://www.boydski.com/diving/trips/Akumal/default.htm that might have more information.

Have a great trip!

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey thanks! i think i was on your website last night reading about the edmonds underwater park? i will check it out again for the mexico stuff ...
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

boydski wrote:For diving in the Cenotes, I would contact Dennis Weeks at http://www.diablodivers.com/. Dennis runs a first class operation and will take good care of you while you are there.
hey i just looked at their site - thanks, again. we're not totally set on staying "in" tulum, but we wanted to avoid satying in cancun or on cozumel - partly for the cost, but mostly to avoid the over-touristed areas. we would like to do some of the famous reef-diving around cozumel and also some of the cenotes, as well as see some ruins and eat a lot of good food. neither of us has ever been to mexico, so we're anxious to go. if anybody has recommendations for other places to stay on the mayan riviera, i'd love to hear those. looking for somewhere safe, relatively quiet, but also beautiful and fun. oh, and the more affordable the better, of course.
my FLICKR photo sets